Just bought a GTX 280. Couple of Questions

Decko87

2[H]4U
EVGA GTX 280 at NewEgg

Ohhh yeah baby talk about EXCITEMENT! This is going to be a HUGE jump from my 8800GT! Very exciting! I'm also stepping up my monitor to a 24 inch. Oh I also just installed Vista x64 home premium! This will also be my first Direct X 10 experience!

I know this has probably been asked before but this is the first computer i've ever built, and I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

I have a Corsair HX620 PSU and I know the GTX 280 requires a 6 and 8 pin PCI-e connector. The PSU is modular and I'm not sure if there is an 8 to 8 pin socket on it. However, I do have a 6 to 8 pin pci-e converter connection. Would this work with the standard six pin? Would this mean I am under powering the card?

Also with Pci-e 1.1 should I expect a bottleneck at 1920x1200? If so, is the bottleneck negligible?

You can contact Corsair directly and they can send you an 8-pin cable. Regarding PCI-E 1.1, you will not notice any difference regarding bandwidth bottlenecking. :)

no bandwidth bottleneck until you use dual gpu's. oddly enough gx2 or above will be held back. single gpu is fine though.

I think you'll be happy with your card and you'll be fine with that mobo.
And who the suggested CPU bottleneck?
I think he's fine, contrary to popular belief you do not NEED uber to play PC games. I wouldn't call any core series proc a bottleneck unless it's under 2.4GHz

Congrats with new card! :D

I have a 4870X2 with a HX620W myself and use 6+8 pins on it. The PSU have cables where you can select wheter to use 6 or 8 pins (its a small 2 pins connector you can use upon choice on each 6-pins PCI-E connectors making them 8-pins).

Haha maybe I will step it up at some point, I do have 90 days. :) If the CPU happens to be a slight bottle neck I think I can get a bit more out of it. 3 ghz was very easy to get stable at low voltages. There's a good chance i could get 3.2 to 3.6 ghz. It runs very cool too so i've been happy with my first intel! The 8800 GT was a great card, and also my first Nvidia card. Either way, I can't wait for it to get here and for my experience to begin.

oh also I do have the cables, so Im all set. I was just doing some dusting the other night so it's ready and waiting for a new card.

Back