Just bought a 6800gt

carblow12

Limp Gawd
I just bought a 6800gt, It should be at my house on wed. I have a AMD 2400+ and (2) 256 pc2700. Do you think it will bottleneck? If so, i was thinking of bying a Asus k8n, amd 64 3000+ and (2) 512 Cosair vaule ram.

You'll notice an increase in both speed and image quality over your 5500, but you're right, with that cpu you'll see a bit of a bottleneck. The upside of that is that you can simply run a lower resolution but bump up FSAA and ansio filtering without much of a framerate hit.

I'd say you ought to wait until after you get a chance to see how the 6800GT performs, and then decide. Until it went wonky on me, I ran my 6800GT on an AMD 2000+ on an older KT266A based mobo, and although I didn't get much of a framerate boost in the games I play, I was able to run FSAA and AF at 1280x1024 with zero framerate hit which made the games look much nicer over my old GF4-4200.

So give it a shot and see how it does. AMD will keep making CPUs so there's really no rush making a purchase right now. If you're into trying to time the memory market, you might consider pre-buying some fast memory if prices dip, but that's still a crapshoot at best since there's always something better coming out next week.

Just ordered mine too. Can't wait to see the jump in performance. :D

congrats on a nice card...its a good feeling to buy something state of the art...gt is definitely bang for the buck at its price range...

one more question, I have 350W PSU on the website is says 300W required, but i heard it was different, I bought the BFG OC one. Do u think ill be ok. ANd how much bottleneck do u think i would get.

How much bottleneck...

My athlon XP 2000+ and GF4-4200 got me around 10,000 in 3dmark2001, and the same cpu with 6800GT got me around 13000 in 3dmark2001. I've seen scores around 20000 for the 6800GT and fast cpus, plus I could turn on 4x FSAA and 4x ansio and still get 12000 in 3dmark2001.

So yea, the cpu can be the bottleneck for a 6800GT but like I said, the upside is that you can crank up the image quality options without killing your framerates.

As for the PSU, a thermaltake silent purepower 480 is only $55 at newegg.com so if you're worried about your PSU, it isn't very expensive to put that concern out of your mind. There are other good/cheap/powerful PSUs out there so you could just get one so you can quit worrying about it. I bought my enermax 365 back when 250 was considered overkill, but a quality power supply is important for system stability especially if you're going to try to overclock so there's no reason to use a small PSU especially since they're relatively cheap. It's like going for cheapo $50 memory when you know you can get high quality name brand stuff for $60... Why risk wasting hours or even days troubleshooting your system to find crappy hardware problems, when just a tiny bit of investment can make everything ok? A quality PSU and quality RAM is just as important as what brand motherboard/cpu/vid card you get, so if you're worried about your PSU, just get a good one and be done with it. A good PSU should also be useful for your next total system upgrade if you get a decent one.

Back