Just another web critique...

ThatDood

Limp Gawd
I'm putting together a website for a rodeo association so please take that into consideration. They want a simple design that is organized and easy to navigate since their current layout is very cluttered and unorganized.

The only sections done are Livestock and the Calendar link. Please let me know what you guys think. Also, does anyone have a suggestion (ie. change style, etc.) for the side bar menu on the Livestock page?

Link: http://rose.wactech.com/~bryant/sassra/

Link directly to livestock page: http://rose.wactech.com/~bryant/sassra/livestock.php

Link directly to calendar page (basic google calendar integration): http://rose.wactech.com/~bryant/sassra/calendar.php

Thanks in advance and please be constructive.

only problem I can see at a glance is that the image with the links on it can have its edge seen, ie: its not a perfect transition from the grey to the white, especially on the sides, where the thingy is still grey when it hits the content div

only problem I can see at a glance is that the image with the links on it can have its edge seen, ie: its not a perfect transition from the grey to the white, especially on the sides, where the thingy is still grey when it hits the content div

Are you talking about the Livestock button where the image is? Also, just curious as to which browser you are using. Thanks for the feedback.

Are you talking about the Livestock button where the image is? Also, just curious as to which browser you are using. Thanks for the feedback.

Using Opera, but I am talking about the links bar, like for example if you look at "contact us" link, slightly to the right of it, you can see the grey edging that doesn't blend into the white of the background. same with on the left side, and along the bottom of the image, but less so on the bottom.

For a one time event page- looks fine to me.

For anything long-term I'd put a "finishing" touch on it (like I don't particuarly like how the content is laid out within the pages, or the dividing bars between your horizontal menu) but overall it looks fine to me. Pretty easy to navigate and use, i'd say.

I think it looks pretty good. :)

What I don't like...

On the nav buttons, you've adjusted the text size to fit so that "Rodeo" is in a much larger font than "Roping Fiesta" etc. Just looks unbalanced to me. Also, the mouseover to black text which is then hard to read on the dark red background.

Weird...I'm like an hour from San Angelo.

I agree with Lethal about the nav button text size.

As far as the rollovers, maybe you could have the background turn black instead of the text, or turn a darker red or something. The black text on red just seems a little hard on the eyes.

Using Opera, but I am talking about the links bar, like for example if you look at "contact us" link, slightly to the right of it, you can see the grey edging that doesn't blend into the white of the background. same with on the left side, and along the bottom of the image, but less so on the bottom.

Ok, I see what you are talking about now. Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into fixing this tomorrow.

For a one time event page- looks fine to me.

For anything long-term I'd put a "finishing" touch on it (like I don't particuarly like how the content is laid out within the pages, or the dividing bars between your horizontal menu) but overall it looks fine to me. Pretty easy to navigate and use, i'd say.

Fair enough. Just curious, how would you arrange the content? I agree with the dividing bars. Their site now is very unorganized and cluttered, so I was going for a simple easy to use/navigate site. Thanks for the feedback.

I think it looks pretty good. :)

What I don't like...

On the nav buttons, you've adjusted the text size to fit so that "Rodeo" is in a much larger font than "Roping Fiesta" etc. Just looks unbalanced to me. Also, the mouseover to black text which is then hard to read on the dark red background.

Thanks! I'll look into another option for these buttons.

Weird...I'm like an hour from San Angelo.

I agree with Lethal about the nav button text size.

As far as the rollovers, maybe you could have the background turn black instead of the text, or turn a darker red or something. The black text on red just seems a little hard on the eyes.

That's cool, where at? I appreciate the feedback.

Fair enough. Just curious, how would you arrange the content? I agree with the dividing bars. Their site now is very unorganized and cluttered, so I was going for a simple easy to use/navigate site. Thanks for the feedback.

Like the menus on the left, under some of the main menus. Just doesn't seem like an actual menu to me over there. I'm clicking on the menu at the top, then the menu navigation moves over to the left.
IDK- maybe it's just me but I guess I'm not a fan of that way. Not sure how to describe it, exactly. I'd think maybe CSS dropdown navigations would make more sense, perhaps. Keep all the navigation in one menu.

What I meant about the content was it just doesn't have a uniform feel to it. The Volunteer page is centered, the Tickets page isn't, for example. I personally like the Tickets page much better, headers seperating the content, and everything uniformly distributed.

Like the menus on the left, under some of the main menus. Just doesn't seem like an actual menu to me over there. I'm clicking on the menu at the top, then the menu navigation moves over to the left.
IDK- maybe it's just me but I guess I'm not a fan of that way. Not sure how to describe it, exactly. I'd think maybe CSS dropdown navigations would make more sense, perhaps. Keep all the navigation in one menu.

What I meant about the content was it just doesn't have a uniform feel to it. The Volunteer page is centered, the Tickets page isn't, for example. I personally like the Tickets page much better, headers seperating the content, and everything uniformly distributed.

I agree with the first part, but the way their site is organized...this seems to be the best fit. The top menu always stays the same and is their core pages. The links on the main page are to the different sections within the site. Thanks for your input though. I agree that it all needs to be uniform (tickets and volunteer page). I think I was trying to see what it would look like if I indented the paragraphs. I don't think I like it as much. Thanks again for the feedback.

For a one-time event that site looks pretty damned good

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. What do you mean by one-time event? I guess because of the date at the top? The date thing is kind of weird to me too, but i think that's how most rodeo sites are advertised.

Back