Just another bang for the buck thread

gnewbury

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - September 2007
Joined
May 4, 2001
Messages
2,544
With the advent of the x2's and intel D's at a budget? price I'm looking for more data points to help my Christmas gift buying.
Looking at Dr. K13's post on PpHpG one should expect about these numbers from AMD.
Small Gromacs:- 1.6 - 2.2 PpHpG
Big Gromacs:- 3.2 - 4.0 PpHpG
Timeless Tinkers:- 2.4 - 2.5 PpHpG.
Normal Tinkers:- 3.2 - 3.6 PpHpG.
Ambers:- 1.6 - 2.0 PpHpG
DGromacs:- 2.3 - 2.5 PpHpG.
and
Stanford benchmarks all the proteins on a 2.8Ghz Intel P4 running Linux at 110 Points per Day.
This works out at 1.63 Points per Hour per Ghz.

Looking at OSUguy98's spreadsheet thread and in his spreadsheets it seems that the best bang for buck per Ghz is a dual core intel 2.8 (~$83)

And here Hito talks of getting 540 points PER DAY from a X2 3800+. (that could be 3 PpHpG based on 3.8Ghz, or 5.5 PpHpG based on 2Ghz clock speed)

The best other place I've found data points are at statsmans site but he only has XP's up to a 2600+ :(

Anyways - does anyone have more data points, preferably in PpHpG for dual core machines running Windoze?
right now the decision is:
A X2 3800+ w/ mb for $380 which could be $0.70 per daily point
or
a D 820 w/mb for $280 but I don't know what to expect for production from it.

 
I just set up an X2 3800 yesterday, so I'll keep an eye on it for ya. It's first work was 2 instances (I did check to ensure they're different clone/gen ) of P1160 L939 298K. (Tinker core).

178pts/day per core, according to EMII. (3.7 pts/ghz/hr).

I do plan to overclock the thing once my new heatsink comes in. The one that comes with the retail package stinks. 50C with both cores Folding. And this is in the cooler basement...but it hasn't crashed yet, so cross the fingers.

I also would be interested in seeing some numbers concerning the Intel Dual Core...
 
Thanks, that brings up a discussion - should we base discussion of AMD's on real clock speed or AMD's rating?
And which did Dr. K13/Tigerbitten use?
 
Even with the distinction between the two, I believe they went with raw GHz as going with PR rating just confuses the matter.
 
p[H]ant0m said:
Even with the distinction between the two, I believe they went with raw GHz as going with PR rating just confuses the matter.

Agree that the numbers should reflect actual clock speed. Any other way introduces too many variables. Of course there's no direct comparison of AMD vs Intel that I know of, other than pts/ghz/hour...
 
So based on that Hito was getting 5.5 PpHpG which definitely leans the advantage to a dual AMD. And it also exceeds the range of what Dr K13 was getting.


 
Gnewbury,

Another thing to consider with that Intel Dualcore is that the Intel has much higher electric consumption...see here: http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q3/athlon64-x2-3800/index.x?pg=13 A nearly 90 watt difference between a X2 3800 and a Intel 820...that works out to be about $6.50 a month more vs the AMD. $78 a year difference. Double that in the summer if you have to power the AC...

And if we talk X2 4200 vs Intel 840, the difference is nearly 120 watts. $8.64 a month more.

By the way, here's another data point for that X2 3800 comparison. I also have an XP 2700 system that has the same protein on it. 2.162 ghz, 187 pts/day. 3.61 pts/ghz/hr

While that Intel 820 mobo combo deal you mentioned is a good one, I suspect the increased electric bill will eat up the difference pretty fast (definitely over the typical 2 years I keep a folding box)...
 
Back
Top