• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Just An Observation

Little_Kenny

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
289
I've got a couple of my systems on an UPS with load monitoring software. So I took note before the upgrade on Saturday just what the load was with FAH running. Now that I've switched over I took a couple more looks.

Before upgrade with Celery 1.1 system the total load on UPS due to everything plugged into it was 45%. Not bad.

Now with new mobo and XP 2100+ system the total load on UPS is 70%. That's with FAH running. Without FAH running UPS load is at 62%.

Don't really know what that translates into in exact numbers other than my electric bill will be going up a bit.

Just something I noted.


p.s. Can I use the load percentage and the VA rating of the UPS to figure out just how much juice I'm sucking down?


Fold On!
90000.gif
 
Another observation: once the onboard video shuts down it goes to 68% load.

As for poor, I still haven't reached the electric bill cost level when I was doing gah. However, I have far fewer boxen now and am almost at that previous level.

Well maybe not far fewer, but definitel three fewer. ;)


Fold On!
90000.gif
 
I was going to suggest that you underclock the video as well, but if it's only using 2% of your UPS capacity that probably won't do very much. I'm going to have to hook up my USB cable to my UPS and see how much effect a heftier video card has.
 
For those of you that want to know exactly how much juice you are using get this little device Kill a Watt .
Its fairly inexpensive and you can use it on your other appliances to see how they fare.
Take a 24 hour reading and you should be able to come up with precise cost for that machine.

Skull
 
SkullFragments said:
For those of you that want to know exactly how much juice you are using get this little device Kill a Watt .
Its fairly inexpensive and you can use it on your other appliances to see how they fare.
Take a 24 hour reading and you should be able to come up with precise cost for that machine.

Skull
I second the "kill a watt".
They are a true Geek tool and easy to use.
I just purchased 1 from J&R for $30. Every time I went to Supermedia Store they were out. Of course I ended up spending $170, which included a second Kill-A-Watt and a Dainolite Rhinomag Flourescent Magnifier Desk Lamp :) :), with shipping :)
 
Little_Kenny said:
Heh, and you needed two because?
Well, I like to run duallies :)
And now that you mentioned it - I can figure out how much the Kill-a-Watt uses :)
 
Little_Kenny said:
p.s. Can I use the load percentage and the VA rating of the UPS to figure out just how much juice I'm sucking down?
Long story short. Yes. It will be a rough approximation, but should be accurate to within 5%. In other words, say your UPS is rated for 350VA. Then your 70% usage would yield ~245VA, where a VA (volt-amp) is theoretically equivalent to a Watt.

Before you guys get all worked up, if you want to discuss the true relationship of VA to Watts feel free to PM me. ;)

I did give a little more lengthy reply in the other thread as well.
 
Thanks for the info Locallan. :)

Was that original thread lost with the last upgrade of the forum?

Fold On!
95000.gif
 
LOL. In my initial moment of confusion, I was trying to figure out why you were calling me your grassy-assed amigo. :)
 
Mattman said:
LOL. In my initial moment of confusion, I was trying to figure out why you were calling me your grassy-assed amigo. :)
Maybe he knows something we don't? Localan shudders as he tries to remove that thought permanently from his mind.
 
Localan said:
Maybe he knows something we don't? Localan shudders as he tries to remove that thought permanently from his mind.
Maybe. The first thing I did was to check my shower for hidden cameras.
 
Back
Top