Just a random question about mining

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
Ive been curious about mining for a while now. Want to try it but the electricity costs always kill it for me in the end. The question I have is, I have a 520w solar panel system(planning to expand to 1000w) that currently feeds my PC, essentially giving me free electricity during the day. Would setting up a PC to mine for roughly 6-8 hours a day and then turning off mining at night/no more free electricity be worthwhile? im not even sure im asking the right question.... Any rough feedback appreciated. Thanks

There's alot to consider. What video cards? How many video cards? Let's say a GTX 1060 6gb card. Would roughly make $1.08 per day. That's 24 hours straight. Just a rough figure based on what you said 8 hours, it would make 0.36 cents a day per card. Now roughly again. Lets say you have 6 GTX 1060 6gb cards running in the miner, it would make about $2.16 a day. Now this all depends on the price of the coin your mining for. The altcoins all have different prices. There are people out there using solar power to mine with but there doing it 24/7. Some are big farms and some are small. I have a friend who has solar panels all over his house and garage. And he has the big stream running thru his land. He set generator along the stream so he is getting power 24/7 from there. He has more power then ever thought he would need. So now he mines like crazy.

Here's a guy who is mining with solar. He says you need about 2000 watts for 6 video cards. Anyways here's the video --

Last edited:
Its probably not worth the effort. But if you already have a video card that mines decently well, and want to use it for mining when you are not using your computer (and electricity is free) then why not?? Easiest miner to use for this type of purpose would be nicehash as it will automatically switch you to whatever is the most profitable coin to mine but will always pay you out in BTC.

Ive been wanting to upgrade my 780ti for awhile now, its starting to show its age in the games I play and the power usage is insane. FO4 GOTY edition is about to drop so I want to enjoy that without the GPU creating an inferno on my desk. I was thinking 1070, possible 1080 or even AMD, I see gpu prices have come down just a bit. I only use my PC at night to game, so it just sits off during the day. Im not looking to be mega rich, $10-15 bucks/month in my pocket sounds like a neat project. ROI isnt a big consideration, the solar panel system was a nerdy project I wanted to do to learn how it works and run my small loads/emergency backup power. The GPU is being bought for gaming with mining a small bonus that otherwise I wouldn't use. I understand it will take years for the GPU to mine its cost back.

I see foldingcoin and curecoin are some of my options. I loved F@H(well before the fuckup of bigadv) and was deciding on going back to it but these coins seem like a slightly better choice?

The GTX 1070 is good card for gaming and good for mining. I got mine down to about 120 watts. I have two rigs made up of 9 - GTX 1070's ea. Love the cards.

I think the only one's try to get rich are the big ass farms, like in Iceland and China.

You should be good to go then. GTX 1060's on up are all good options as are Radeon 480's on up.

Use mining to keep your consumption above anything solar could generate.
Eliminates expense and maintenence of local storage batteries.

Electricity would have to be extravagantly expensive not to profit right now.
Could run a generator on natural gas and still make money on that deal.

No not worth hobby mining on solar. You'd not likely recoup costs

You should upgrade the solar array for the sake of your consumption but for mining purposes? no.

Batteries are expensive, bulky, fumy, corrosive, and temperature sensitive.
As long as Solar alone never meets your mining demand, that's perfect.
Cause you will never have a surplus of power to require chemical storage.
Apply the savings to more panels, or more GPUs.

Maybe you should look to "free nights and weekends" plans in your area.

Also keep in mind that Curecoin give you the percentage of daily coins as per your PPD-percentage ... today they make 1.3 billions per day ...

Back