Just a lap dance and some jizz...

CypHill

Gawd
Heh.. it's not what you think. I took my computer apart yesterday and decided to lap the swiffy and reapply a healthy coat of AS3. Well, my idle temps dropped 6*C with case temps of 27-28*C, which is same as my room's temp. I r teh happy.

That's.... uhhh... wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

6 degrees? Are you sure you didn't just clean off a bunch of dust, and reapply more correctly than before?

No, I applied correctly both times. The first time, it idle'd at teh temp u see in my sig.. 39*C. It did that for about 5 months.. then after that it went up to 43*C idle. I finally decided to reapply and also lap since the HS will be off. I noticed that AS3 gets a little thin after a while.. so this time I put on a smidge more. But the lapping did help. I'm idling at 34*C now.

Originally posted by CypHill
Why buy a whole new thing of AS5 when I already have plenty of AS3? :confused:

but why lap a swifty when its like one tenth of one one thousandth of and inch flat? :confused:

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
but why lap a swifty when its like one tenth of one one thousandth of and inch flat? :confused:

Thats what I was about to say. I mean they already come with a mirror finnish. Unless you are using some 2,000 grit paper or something???

lol Lapping only helps on ultra cheap heatsinks.

More like its something to do when you are bored and have 2 hours to do nothing.

my 5000 swifty block had a rather...uninspiring finish on it. Coudlnt reflect anything. I ended up using toothpaste and isopropyl alcohol to smooth it slightly. Once I get the 5002, I'm going to put one hell of a lap job on it.

Why did I lap it?

Did you read the first post?

I dropped 6*C. Same case, same voltage, same everything else.

Back