Juniper switch for home use?

amarshonarbangla

Weaksauce
I am looking into buying this switch for my home network. Now I am not a noob when it comes to networking stuff, but I am not a pro either. Given that it's an enterprise switch, is it going to be hard to set up this switch? How user friendly is Junos? Is there a cheaper alternative which is just as powerful?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
its like nothing else really......atleast not foundry or ios

F5 is similar.......

Last edited:
I use one for my home lab, and it works great. Some people would say Junos is not as user friendly as Cisco IOS, but once you learn it I find it easier and more powerful in general.

There is plenty of documentation available and I think Juniper even has an IOS to Junos converter on their site to help.

Yea Juniper is very different than Cisco or HP.
Now that I am getting use to it I really like it personally.
Also to do layer 3 on that switch you will need the layer 3 license.

I've switched to using nothing but Juniper in new deployments at work, mostly EX4200. We've got EX-2200's in our office though. They're good switches, and the CLI is the same across all product lines running JUNOS, so it's nice that the switches and firewalls have the same config setup.

Yea Juniper is very different than Cisco or HP.
Now that I am getting use to it I really like it personally.
Also to do layer 3 on that switch you will need the layer 3 license.

The EX2200 will do static routing without a license, it's just dynamic routing (OSPF) and other advanced features that requires a license.

Back