Juniper SRX210H/220H?

Rivera

Limp Gawd
Seems to be offtopic question, but ATM i'm looking on juniper router at home. Thought about building x86 machine with RouterOS but received some really negative opinions, then stumbled upon these junipers.
First of all, i can't go with ASA 5505 or lower-end juniper - there is no gigabit ports, and one of my uplinks is 200mbps, coming from GPON hardware...
Well, to be honest, i just want to know if this units somehow suitable for usage at home - can't find anything about fans, level of noise and etc.

We only deploy 5800's so cant comment on fan noise of the baby srx's. ive used ns208 at home, now have ssg20, they arent even noticeable. my ssg320 testing pair can sometimes be on the annoying side, but i imagine the 210/220 would be quieter than the older 3's.

Juniper SSG5's are a awesome unit for home :)

juniper_ssg-5_firewall.jpg

Sadly it's outdated... i decided that if i will buy juniper it will be some actual model, like SRX*H.

government still uses them :)

BUT hey, if you can afford the next newest model with gig ports go nuts :)

How much btw ?

government still uses them :)

BUT hey, if you can afford the next newest model with gig ports go nuts :)

How much btw ?

SRX210H - 600-1000$, varies from version (PoE, for example, costs around 1000$, while non-poe is way cheaper)
SRX220H - 1400$ (new)

Both have gigE ports - 2 on SRX210H, and 210 can do 3G USB modem - great for fallback or sending messages like "hey, your uplink is down", and SRX220H have 8xgigE (usb port also included, but i dunno if it can do 3G, still researching)

I would suggest a ssg if ur not real familiar with the junos cli. I hate the junos web GUI it's so slow and feels useless whereas the screenos GUI is responsive and easy to navigate.

You can also build up a pfsense box or something like that for cheaper and probably get more flexibility from it.

I would suggest a ssg if ur not real familiar with the junos cli. I hate the junos web GUI it's so slow and feels useless whereas the screenos GUI is responsive and easy to navigate.

You can also build up a pfsense box or something like that for cheaper and probably get more flexibility from it.

Nothing wrong with learning. There is also JunOS x86 VM image floating around, so i might give it a try.
Building x86 router with same performance and same size (i do not want another ATX/mini-itx box, and more - with itx i can't get more than two gigE ports) will cost same as SRX210, if not more.
The only things i lack in JunOS is openvpn (well, finally time to switch to proper IPsec), PPTP (i use that for accessing pandora and etc), and uPnP (well, upnp is both a feature and a bug). Dunno about support of DHCPv6-IA.

Anyway, haven't received main reply - about noise level :D

Nothing wrong with learning. There is also JunOS x86 VM image floating around, so i might give it a try.
Building x86 router with same performance and same size (i do not want another ATX/mini-itx box, and more - with itx i can't get more than two gigE ports) will cost same as SRX210, if not more.
The only things i lack in JunOS is openvpn (well, finally time to switch to proper IPsec), PPTP (i use that for accessing pandora and etc), and uPnP (well, upnp is both a feature and a bug). Dunno about support of DHCPv6-IA.

Anyway, haven't received main reply - about noise level :D

If you are buying a used Juniper, you could always change the fan's to make it silent :)

If you are buying a used Juniper, you could always change the fan's to make it silent :)

To do that i need at least some tech doc, about size / connection type / etc... Well, it will be really useful. I found doc that states that SRX220 have "52 dBa or less". Looks like it have that small jet engines inside, like in powerful 1U servers.

To do that i need at least some tech doc, about size / connection type / etc... Well, it will be really useful. I found doc that states that SRX220 have "52 dBa or less". Looks like it have that small jet engines inside, like in powerful 1U servers.

your shitting me right ? specs and a manual to take it apart ?

take the screws out of it, it's just a generic fan.

your shitting me right ? specs and a manual to take it apart ?

take the screws out of it, it's just a generic fan.

Well, seeing cisco's PSU with some weird connector which is found only on cisco (i speak about ASA 5505)... Who know, who know. Well, they generic, that's what i wanted to know :)

Well, seeing cisco's PSU with some weird connector which is found only on cisco (i speak about ASA 5505)... Who know, who know. Well, they generic, that's what i wanted to know :)

probably generic, but easy to solder and change a connector :)

also if it's just a generic fan you can use this, it will slow the fan down and make it quiet,

RC-56.jpg

To answer ur question on noise it's only on boot up that u really hear them. The one in our lab seems pretty quiet. I have a ex 2200 at home and i can't hear it over my server so I don't think the srx will have that much of a problem. I can get u some production unit fan speeds if ur interested in that kinda info.

Also no there is nothing wrong with learning and I actually prefer junos cli over Cisco if that's what ur used to. It just has some weird quirks that can mess u over such as algs but once u learn where stuff goes its pretty easy and flexible. Only reason I said the above is cause I don't know what ur home layout is like. If its just set and forget then really not worth the time to learn.

I had a srx100h that I just replaced with pfsense box. 5 gig ports is plenty for me and came in under 500 and I'm willing to bet can top the srx but to each is own.

Where are u getting ur prices from? 600 seems really low for a new firewall.

Last edited:
SRX240H are more expensive units, but they are pretty excellent. Totally insane overkill for a home unit. Unless you need vlans on a switch, just get an SSG and throw a dumb gig switch on in.

SRX240H are more expensive units, but they are pretty excellent. Totally insane overkill for a home unit. Unless you need vlans on a switch, just get an SSG and throw a dumb gig switch on in.

I looked at 220H as possible unit, but looks like i will end up with 210H + EX2200.

To answer ur question on noise it's only on boot up that u really hear them. The one in our lab seems pretty quiet. I have a ex 2200 at home and i can't hear it over my server so I don't think the srx will have that much of a problem. I can get u some production unit fan speeds if ur interested in that kinda info.

Also no there is nothing wrong with learning and I actually prefer junos cli over Cisco if that's what ur used to. It just has some weird quirks that can mess u over such as algs but once u learn where stuff goes its pretty easy and flexible. Only reason I said the above is cause I don't know what ur home layout is like. If its just set and forget then really not worth the time to learn.

I had a srx100h that I just replaced with pfsense box. 5 gig ports is plenty for me and came in under 500 and I'm willing to bet can top the srx but to each is own.

Where are u getting ur prices from? 600 seems really low for a new firewall.

learning the juniper cli makes more sense than the cisco one. ( IMO )

I have an asa5505 to lab with.
Was looking at juniper recently, just for diversity.

Are the SRX110 the entry level branch fw now?
I saw some Dells FW which looked rebadged.

However my friend told me dell bought out sonicwall, so would be pushing those now.

SSG are vpn concentrators only?
netscreen obsolete?

Perhaps a switch would be better for learning junos etc.
No bargains to be had for home labing etc?

There is a srx 100 not really sure what the differences are.

I do know that dell rebadged some juniper gear but couldnt tell you the models.

ssg/netscreen/screen os was replaced by srx's. I would recommend a srx over a switch because the srx has features of all 3 platforms routing, switching, and security. That and the switches cost alot more then the srx 100's do.

You might also want to check into junosphere. Basically VM's that are setup from juniper. Or you can also try and do olives.

Back