• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

June 21, nVidia Next Gen Video Card Launch?

I think that Nvidia is claiming to have them available almost immediately. But we..will..see.
 
To be honest, I'm more of an ATi guy but I'm just so anxious to get my hands on the next gen card for whichever one comes out sooner. Stuck with a 9800Pro thats can take the heat on Battlefield 2.
 
Krycek1 said:
I'll have to settle for budget card if it is :(

Budget still rocks. I had a Radeon 9800XT this time last year. After I killed it, I got a 6800GT. My friend got a 6600GT before I got my 6800, and from what I saw of his, it was so much better than my $450 XT, so much better I should have cried.

If I do upgrade, it's gonna be the midrange or the lower high end (like an equiv to a 6800nu), no point in going for the top end anymore, but it doesn't really matter all that much for a good gameplay experience.
 
Pooky said:
Budget still rocks. I had a Radeon 9800XT this time last year. After I killed it, I got a 6800GT. My friend got a 6600GT before I got my 6800, and from what I saw of his, it was so much better than my $450 XT, so much better I should have cried.

If I do upgrade, it's gonna be the midrange or the lower high end (like an equiv to a 6800nu), no point in going for the top end anymore, but it doesn't really matter all that much for a good gameplay experience.
Very true. In fact, I may have to go with the Budget/High End since my motherboard only has AGP 8x interface. That or i'll have to sping another 150 for a new mobo.
 
I'm not positive, but from the sounds of things there won't be a new AGP card available for a while. You may have to budget for a new mobo too. :(
 
Krycek1 said:
Very true. In fact, I may have to go with the Budget/High End since my motherboard only has AGP 8x interface. That or i'll have to sping another 150 for a new mobo.

A new mobo, more memory, in fact, you should be WAY more worried about your memory than a graphis card.
 
tranCendenZ said:
I heard available first week of July.

I keep it reading its gonna be available that day.. But who knows... just gotta wait and see :D
 
Skrying said:
A new mobo, more memory, in fact, you should be WAY more worried about your memory than a graphis card.
No, 1 gig of ram is overrated for playing games and I really like to be efficient and get maximum bang for the buck. I've done plenty of research and 512mb is nearly as effective as 1 gig in most high resolution games including Battlefield 2 and DOOM 3.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2147-x-x-x&body_pagenum=5

http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2156&p=2
 
Killer69 said:
I'm not positive, but from the sounds of things there won't be a new AGP card available for a while.

i hope that's not the case because it doesn't seem like a very wise marketing decision with as many AGP mobo's out there.
 
Booby McNipples said:
i hope that's not the case because it doesn't seem like a very wise marketing decision with as many AGP mobo's out there.
Well, I heard AGP versions of the new cards would come out but a tad after the PCIe versions debut. Afterall, they only recently stoped making PCI video cards.
 
Krycek1 said:
No, 1 gig of ram is overrated for playing games and I really like to be efficient and get maximum bang for the buck. I've done plenty of research and 512mb is nearly as effective as 1 gig in most high resolution games including Battlefield 2 and DOOM 3.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2147-x-x-x&body_pagenum=5

http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2156&p=2


Did you even read that article? A quote from your own link:

We also tested out 512MB and 1GB of RAM on our Athlon 3000+ setup. Once again, the numbers don't quite meet reality head on. While using our setup with 512MB, we experienced lots of chugging due to the large textures swapping between system memory and the hard drive. If you're stuck with 512MB of RAM reducing texture quality to medium or low will help smooth out the game.

Just because the FPS averages are the same doesn't mean there's not a huge gameplay difference. I'd rather have a little less resolution/AA/AF and smooth gameplay then stuttering.
 
Jonsey said:
Did you even read that article? A quote from your own link:

We also tested out 512MB and 1GB of RAM on our Athlon 3000+ setup. Once again, the numbers don't quite meet reality head on. While using our setup with 512MB, we experienced lots of chugging due to the large textures swapping between system memory and the hard drive. If you're stuck with 512MB of RAM reducing texture quality to medium or low will help smooth out the game.

Just because the FPS averages are the same doesn't mean there's not a huge gameplay difference. I'd rather have a little less resolution/AA/AF and smooth gameplay then stuttering.
My point is that Video card is going to give me a much larger performance gain as far as gameplay quality.
 
Krycek1 said:
My point is that Video card is going to give me a much larger performance gain as far as gameplay quality.

And my point is a $50 stick of RAM will do wonders for your gameplay. I too waited awhile to go from 512 Mb to 1 Gb. Loading times in games like UT2004 and FarCry are smaller, and the funny delays I got once I started playing (a short pause after my first shot, etc.) are gone.

All I'm saying is that the difference between 512 mb and 1 gb is something you really have to see. FPS benchmarks don't always reflect reality. If you've never seen the difference between 512 mb and 1 gb, you owe it to yourself to give that a try before you upgrade to the very latest video card.

Of course, if you've tried 1 gb and can't see a difference, that's something different.
 
Jonsey said:
And my point is a $50 stick of RAM will do wonders for your gameplay. I too waited awhile to go from 512 Mb to 1 Gb. Loading times in games like UT2004 and FarCry are smaller, and the funny delays I got once I started playing (a short pause after my first shot, etc.) are gone.

All I'm saying is that the difference between 512 mb and 1 gb is something you really have to see. FPS benchmarks don't always reflect reality. If you've never seen the difference between 512 mb and 1 gb, you owe it to yourself to give that a try before you upgrade to the very latest video card.

Of course, if you've tried 1 gb and can't see a difference, that's something different.

Yes 512mb to 1gb is a nice jump...
 
Jonsey said:
And my point is a $50 stick of RAM will do wonders for your gameplay. I too waited awhile to go from 512 Mb to 1 Gb. Loading times in games like UT2004 and FarCry are smaller, and the funny delays I got once I started playing (a short pause after my first shot, etc.) are gone.

All I'm saying is that the difference between 512 mb and 1 gb is something you really have to see. FPS benchmarks don't always reflect reality. If you've never seen the difference between 512 mb and 1 gb, you owe it to yourself to give that a try before you upgrade to the very latest video card.

Of course, if you've tried 1 gb and can't see a difference, that's something different.
The cheapest I can find a matching stick of 512mb ram is $100.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145520

I'm also cautious because DDR2 looms over the horizon and if I do get that new mobo for the PCIe slot, then both those upgrades may be in my near future. However, with that being said the upgrade that makes the most sense right now is a video card which will determine where I go (with my agp motherboard of a new gen of mobo and its upgrades)
 
That's great that they are selling them on release-date, should get more attention that way. I can't wait much longer for them to come out, see the prices, compare to 6800GT, and see if the extra money is a good decision to extend the life of the card, or still way too muhc of a premium.
 
Booby McNipples said:
i hope that's not the case because it doesn't seem like a very wise marketing decision with as many AGP mobo's out there.

I agree, but they still might do it. I'm not saying that they will never do it, but it may be a few months before you see one. ATI doesn't have an AGP X700 either.
 
How would the 7800 GTX compare to the 2 6800 Ultras I just bought.

I'm really mad....

I always buy something thats top of the line, then a week later something comes out and beats it :eek:

What about 7800 GTX SLI? :cool:
 
Do you honestly think that you NEED that card? You won't need that game until Bf4000 comes out.. Because I am buying an ati X850xtpe, which I consider top of the line for agp, and I guarantee I can use it 4 years from now with little choppyness.
 
J-M-E said:
How would the 7800 GTX compare to the 2 6800 Ultras I just bought.

I'm really mad....

I always buy something thats top of the line, then a week later something comes out and beats it :eek:

What about 7800 GTX SLI? :cool:

That would kinda of negate the 2 6800s you just bought. Thats easily over 1 grand for the 7800GTX Sli but its your money. :)
 
swirly said:
Do you honestly think that you NEED that card? You won't need that game until Bf4000 comes out.. Because I am buying an ati X850xtpe, which I consider top of the line for agp, and I guarantee I can use it 4 years from now with little choppyness.
Why do you think you know what he needs? Seriously people, we are far from CGI-quality games, and a fucking lot needs to be done, like *hint* faster hardware *hint*, before we can play games with ultra-realism. Believe it or not, some people are limited even by the fastest GPU's available today. :(
 
Krycek1 said:
No, 1 gig of ram is overrated for playing games and I really like to be efficient and get maximum bang for the buck. I've done plenty of research and 512mb is nearly as effective as 1 gig in most high resolution games including Battlefield 2 and DOOM 3.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2147-x-x-x&body_pagenum=5

http://anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2156&p=2

Sorry bud, but you are totally totally wrong. 512MB of RAM is not enough, never will be, and it hasnt for a long time now. I HIGHLY suggest you load up CS:S, and BF2, and check out how much memory they are taking, if you'd even gather the fact that both games are taking up well over 512MB alone then you'd realize how wrong you are.
 
Krycek1 said:
Well, I heard AGP versions of the new cards would come out but a tad after the PCIe versions debut. Afterall, they only recently stoped making PCI video cards.

They have not stoped making PCI cards....... where did you read this? There's a need for PCI just like AGP for older systems, also people often buy PCI cards waiting for upgrades, for a second monitor, or if there system simply doesnt have a AGP/PCIe slot and they want at least half way okay graphics.
 
Krycek1 said:
My point is that Video card is going to give me a much larger performance gain as far as gameplay quality.

No it is not. You are not reading what you have even posted have you?

You gain a MUCH more smoother experience with 1GB over 512MB. Even if you add a 7800 or a SLI system you are STILL going to get tons of chunggy crappy game play.

Your problems are no way tied to your graphics card. Its all about your memory, listen up first because you are being totally wrong.
 
Skrying said:
No it is not. You are not reading what you have even posted have you?

You gain a MUCH more smoother experience with 1GB over 512MB. Even if you add a 7800 or a SLI system you are STILL going to get tons of chunggy crappy game play.

Your problems are no way tied to your graphics card. Its all about your memory, listen up first because you are being totally wrong.

Which is going to give more performance? Memory for textures onboard your Video card or on your system?

I'm not having problems smart guy. I'm trying to beef up for benchmarks but not while throwing money out the window.

The entire point was that 512mb is enough (minimum), that doesn't have to be number 1 on my upgrade list like you say it "way" should be. Skyring, I don't care what you suggest. Did I ask you that?

P.S. Nice triple posting :rolleyes:
 
Krycek1 said:
Which is going to give more performance? Memory for textures onboard your Video card or on your system?

I'm not having problems smart guy. I'm trying to beef up for benchmarks but not while throwing money out the window.

The entire point was that 512mb is enough (minimum), that doesn't have to be number 1 on my upgrade list like you say it "way" should be. Skyring, I don't care what you suggest. Did I ask you that?

P.S. Nice triple posting :rolleyes:

Why would you buy a new graphics card when the rest of your system is just going to choke it to hell? If you simply want to beef up benchmarks then buy the card and make your epenis larger, but you'll only be throwing money out the window if you want to play games worth a damn.
 
Krycek1 said:
Which is going to give more performance? Memory for textures onboard your Video card or on your system?

I think you're missing the point. The hitching is caused by the delay in transferring data from the HDD to system memory. BF2 at the moment maxes out 1GB - I have about 16K of physical memory left while I'm playing.

Now I agree that a 512MB card will probably help a lot compared to a 256MB card, but you would still get lots of swapping since your total memory is still not enough. You would have 512 (video)+512(system) = 1GB while the game is already maxing out 1GB(system) + 256(video).

The extra video RAM would help the most where the bottleneck is between video and system RAM but I doubt that's the case.
 
BF2 is not that hard on the video card alone. Its a system killer. It smoothes out more with system memory than video memory once you get to the 256MB point with a video card. But if you only have 512MB of system memory you are still going to get tons of chopiness.
 
Back
Top