Jumpering a PSU to test - no CPU or RAM - safe?

Balthazor

Gawd
Can I jumper-test a PSU installed in a system that is basically complete minus CPU and RAM? I'm speaking of the method of using a paperclip or similar item to jumper the 24/20 pin power cable, providing power to a portion of the system.

Should I wait for the remaining components before testing? Currently the motherboard still has the CPU shipping plate in the socket, and no RAM, but otherwise it is loaded up with fans, hard drives, GPUs, headers hooked up, etc.

Thanks for your feedback!

Doing that would be pointless. You won't be able to test the PC since it can't function without a CPU or RAM. If you want to just test the PSU, then you can do it without connecting any of the other hardware.

If I understand you correctly you are trying to jump start a power supply while still connected to the motherboard without the CPU and memory. If that is the case I would not do it since you can not perform any meaningful test of the motherboard without the CPU and memory and the motherboard more likely will not post.
However I could jump start the PS outside of the case with a fan or two just to see if the PS will start.

Jumpering a PSU is common practice when testing a liquid cooling loop. I thought I'd test the fans out, in a similar fashion, to see what kind of noise levels I'm looking at with max fan speeds.

Clearly, without a CPU or RAM, it was never my intention to test the PC itself.

So just connect the fans to the PSU then. There's no need to connect any of your other devices.

If you're just wanting to see if it turns on.. Unplug the 24 pin from the board and jump the only green wire with any black.. As long as it remains bridged everything will be powered (Except the mobo).. It doesnt really tell you anything tho except that your PSU is capable of turning on and powering said devices.

Back