Jumbo Frames, Giganetwork, MTU/MRU's.

troligt

n00b
Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time reader.

I've been meaning to switch into a Giganetwork and I'm currently trying to plan ahead as to how my topology should look like and would like some input.

As far as cabling is concerned, I will be using CAT 6 cables (since they aren't really more expensive than CAT 5e anyways) and all NIC's and devices will be Giga capabale with support for Jumbo Frames (MRU/MTU 9000) - so I've already got that covered.

The connection to my ISP (Internet) will be a fiber 100/100 full duplex.

What I am trying to figure out is wether or not I will need two (either physical or through VLAN) networks or if I can incorporate full giga w. jumbo frame support without having to go that route. My two current thoughts on topology:

1. ISP 100/100 Full Duplex Fiber (1500 MTU) ---> Dedicated Smoothwall computer with dual NIC's (One of which is Giga w. Jumbo Frame support set at 9000 towards the switch and the other a normal 10/100 towards the Internet set at 1500) ---> Giga-Switch w. Jumbo Frame support (SMC most likely) ---> Clients with Giga NIC's w. Jumbo support set at 9000.

2. ISP 100/100 Full Duplex Fiber (1500 MTU) ---> Layer 3 device (Router with Giga ports or Giga Layer 3 switch - if any can be had for a reasonable amount of money) ---> Clients with Giga NIC's w. Jumbo support set at 9000.

The question I am asking is twofold;

Will any of the two above mentioned topologies work, if not, is it due to the fact that the layer 3 device or smoothwall cannot properly handle the inclusion of both 1500 and 9000 MTU/MRU and operate accordingly? Ie, will my MTU path be stuck at 1500 due to the Internet connection?

I'm thinking it is possible that while my topologies above might work, that the internet connection might become unstable at best (lost packets), or not work at all - but I'm really hoping that I'm wrong and that it does indeed work without my having to resort to having two seperate networks.

Any thoughts?

while not particularly with smoothwall for sure, I know that situation # 1 should work just fine with *BSD or linux...so smoothie _should_ work for you.... and I don't know about #2 :confused:

I'm gonna try and see if I can get a smoothwall working the way I intended on my hypothetical topology above since I just upgrade my gaming rig and have more than enough spare parts for a smoothie.

If worst comes to worst from it, all that I've done is not in vain, a dedicated smoothwall with an internal gigabit network behind it (altho be it at 1500 MRU/MTU) isn't shabby either, and I could easily make two networks behind it later should the urge come.

I'd love to try out the layer 3 switch option as well, but I'll be dar#ed if I could find someone capable enough for affordable (to me) money.

Back