jumbo frames are slower

mjz_5

2[H]4U
Hi, I connected a D-Link DGE-530T on both my workstation (A64 3000+ - MSI K8T Neo FISR2 - OCZ 1GB DDR - Raptor HD - win XP) and my server (PIII 866 - Asus CUSL2C - Crucial 256 SDRAM - 200 GB Seagate 8mb HD - win 2k Adv Server).

When I enable jumbo frames, transfers between computers (using a crossover cable 5e) are slower.

Jumbo frames ON:

CPU utilization = ~50%
MAX transfer speed = 23.33 MBs
AVG transfer speed = 15.33 MBs
Time to transfer 2 or so gigs (avg of 300 MBs each) = 3min 15 sec

----

Jumbo frames OFF:

CPU utilization = ~50%
MAX transfer speed = 22.23 MBs
AVG transfer speed = 20.33 MBs
Time to transfer 2 or so gigs (avg of 300 MBs each) = 2min 30 sec

I just purchased these NICs and have a SMC switch on the way :(, and i have no idea what to do :(

please help, i'm :confused:

anyone?? Man, i hate computers!!! They never do what they suppose to :)

I don't really know what to tell you but I would be interested to see if things change when you get the SMC.

aug1516 said:
I don't really know what to tell you but I would be interested to see if things change when you get the SMC.

well, i got pissed off and canceled the order :eek: do you think it would work better with the switch instead of just using the crossover cable... Usually just using a crossover cable is faster then using a switch, so i dun no

What program are you using to measure the bandwidth usage and did you restart after running each test?

aug1516 said:
What program are you using to measure the bandwidth usage and did you restart after running each test?

I used DU meter for the tests. Even without using a program to monitor the bandwidth usage, it is noticeably slower when jumbo frames are on. I also rebooted between each tests and setting change. :(

Jumbo frames should be faster with large file transfers (like the ones you tested with) and should lower CPU utilization. Your testing methods seem fine and I doubt there is a problem with the crossover cable. At this point I would probably blame the networks cards but I have always had bad experiences with D-Link anyway so I'm sort of biased that way to begin with. Did windows have drivers for this card by default or did you get the latest ones from D-Link?

aug1516 said:
Jumbo frames should be faster with large file transfers (like the ones you tested with) and should lower CPU utilization. Your testing methods seem fine and I doubt there is a problem with the crossover cable. At this point I would probably blame the networks cards but I have always had bad experiences with D-Link anyway so I'm sort of biased that way to begin with. Did windows have drivers for this card by default or did you get the latest ones from D-Link?

both windows 2000 and XP did not have drivers, i used the newest ones from d-link's website. i'm stumped

Back