jumbo frame woes

piako

[H]ard|Gawd
Tried some different NICs over the same switch to get jumbo frames running between the boxes. Guess I need to try a different switch. The switch and NICs are all 9k capable. If it ends up not working with a new switch I guess I'll blame the OS?

Try a direct wire first before you try a new switch.

Switch support can be confusing, with different revisions in the same model supporting and not supporting jumbo frames. Which switch and revision are you trying?

Thx so If I connect two boxes with a crossover cable how do they communicate? There's no NAT from a router.

They should communicate with each other without problems, but they could not access the rest of the network or the internet. This would not be a long-term solution, just a check to see if the switch is the issue by removing it. Jumbo frames are local-only, so the lack of internet / NAT is not an issue for basic testing.

DHCP wouldn't work because the router would be out of the picture. The auto-configured IP might work. In any case, you could manually assign IPs for the test.

Try a direct wire first before you try a new switch.

Switch support can be confusing, with different revisions in the same model supporting and not supporting jumbo frames. Which switch and revision are you trying?

Madwand you are my hero. I did exactly as you suggested and was able to transfer a 600 MB file between two computers using a packet size of 9014 KB in less than 10 seconds.

IT'S THE SWITCH

Time to poliely call D-Link.

I'm going to assume for now that you have a DGS-1008D or a DGS-1005D. Only rev. C3 and newer support jumbo frames, and these came out long ago, but you could still get fresh retail stock of older revisions.

Some have gone through this with D-Link email support; complained about the fact that the web site advertised jumbo frames without qualification, but fresh retail stock didn't work with jumbo frames.

The good news is that D-Link email support has taken this issue sometimes and resolved them with RMA product swaps.

The bad news is that D-Link's DGS-100xD up to rev. C5 at least, perform worse when jumbo frames are used -- they cap around 700 Mb/s with jumbo frames instead of at least the 950 Mb/s or so that they can do without jumbo frames.

I don't know how the newer DGS-220x perform in this regard, but would suggest that you try for one of them instead for a product swap. Point out to them if needed that there's a claim of wire-speed performance which is not met in this case by the DGS-100xD.

Or get a rev. 2 Netgear or something else..

It's a DGS-1024D H/W Ver.: A2.

How would you predict D-Link will respond? I'm planning on telling them the manual says 9K but it only works at 1.5K. :rolleyes:

You need to contact tech support first to establish an issue. Approach them politely of course, and basically saying "It fails when 9K jumbo frames are enabled; it was advertised as supporting 9K jumbo frames, and I bought it for that, etc., and here's what I did to establish that it's the switch's fault, i.e., it's not a configuration issue on my part. How can I get it fixed?"

If luck holds, you'll get an approval to talk to the RMA dept. for a product swap, and need to provide proof of purchase, etc., and will be shipped a compatible unit shortly after you send yours in.

Good luck!

You need to contact tech support first to establish an issue. Approach them politely of course, and basically saying "It fails when 9K jumbo frames are enabled; it was advertised as supporting 9K jumbo frames, and I bought it for that, etc., and here's what I did to establish that it's the switch's fault, i.e., it's not a configuration issue on my part. How can I get it fixed?"

If luck holds, you'll get an approval to talk to the RMA dept. for a product swap, and need to provide proof of purchase, etc., and will be shipped a compatible unit shortly after you send yours in.

Good luck!
Do you know anything about the DGS-1024D and which revisions work with jumbo frames and don't? I figure they'll just blow me off. :(

Sorry, I don't know this switch and its revisions. But I do see > 9 KB jumbo frames listed in the manual, and certainly download and check out the manual as part of the purchase process myself, so I think you'd have a case.

The only catch would be if you didn't actually do this at the time of the purchase, and only thought to look for JF support some time afterwards... Well, that happens. I guess you couldn't make the point about "I bought it for this feature", but you could still try the "it's advertised but doesn't work".

Don't worry about the revision details -- the tech support and RMA will know which revisions support it, and if they agree to a swap, give you one of them.

Don't worry about the revision details -- the tech support and RMA will know which revisions support it, and if they agree to a swap, give you one of them.
Newegg advertised the switch as 9k.

I'm talking to some dumb-ass level 1 tech as I type and he has no idea what I'm talking about. I might have to call back and try again because I'm on hold now. I can't waste my whole day on the phone with these idiots. argh.

I guess their tech shop is going to test the specific revision (I guess they have a A2 laying around) and see if it supports jumbo frames. If it does I guess the switch I have is just defective.

Prolly be a few days before I hear back from them.

I'm talking to some dumb-ass level 1 tech as I type and he has no idea what I'm talking about. I might have to call back and try again because I'm on hold now. I can't waste my whole day on the phone with these idiots. argh.

email tech support is generally a better idea. Frees up the phone line, etc., and they also have a better chance to get things right, and when they don't, you have an e-paper trail.

Odds are that this will go back and forth a few times, and if you have to wait in the phone queue every time... I'd just give up and buy another brand instead.

email tech support is generally a better idea. Frees up the phone line, etc., and they also have a better chance to get things right, and when they don't, you have an e-paper trail.

Odds are that this will go back and forth a few times, and if you have to wait in the phone queue every time... I'd just give up and buy another brand instead.
Their response e-mail said to call in to tech. I think the reason dlink does that is because they only issue RMAs over the phone.

I was surprised they didn't have a database of which switch revisions supported JF and which don't for this model. I'm confident their testing will show the A2 revision to be out of spec or perhaps newegg had old true-spec and just advertised it as a later revision.

So this is the important question. What switch would you rec.? The switch I have has 24 ports, rackmounted, and has 512 buffer per port.

I'd like to get a switch that has a core from http://switchcore.com/ but they only supply the logic to the fab houses and then sell the cores to the certain switch manuf. Only prob. is I can't find which switches use the switchcore cores. Any ideas? Any other switches you'd rec.?

Back