• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

July DC Vault project(s)

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
2FA
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
2,205
Alright everyone. Our June goal is taking just a couple extra days to pass up Ukraine in POEM. So I figured that we could have a slightly less structured effort this month. Hopefully this will give folks a little bit of a break, allow them to maybe focus on some personal goals or projects less crunched and allow the team to finish its POEM goal and maybe a bit more.

Having said that I do have a couple recommendations for projects. Obviously these are just suggestions. For anyone looking to get their feet wet in a non-BOINC project Muon1 is a project where we can probably make some big progress. I'll try and find the instructions and post them below soon.

If you are looking for a BOINC project and have a CPU with 4+ threads then you might want to give Aqua a look. Its our lowest ranking in the Vault for BOINC projects. The project scores very well but IIRC only has multithreaded WUs available so a quad-core or better is a must. Otherwise another BOINC project we could make excellent strides in is SZTAKI Desktop Grid.

As always, if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help. Happy crunching!

EDIT: Muon1 setup: Just download the zip file from the hompage, extract it and then put a user.txt file in the same folder as the app. The user.txt file only needs a single line for your username. Your username should be in the format [H]username. As you can probably guess using the [H] will contribute your points to the Horde and then your username is well, you username. :D Then I just started the muon1_background.exe and it seems to be running. Eric correct me if im wrong here.
 
Last edited:
My plan for this month is to keep my CPUs on POEM for another couple days, then I will distribute some resources a few different places. I might do a few days worth of Aqua units and then I will probably try some Muon1 with my i7 as I think that we can make some serious ground there. :)

Currently we are 24th in Muon1. Looks like Eric already has his i7 over there. Or at least thats my guess. :D
Muon1 Overall Team stats
Muon1 [H]ard|OCP stats


It looks like we are currently 103rd in Aqua. Looks like Simon is putting up some nice points.
Aqua Stats

We are currently 67th in Sztaki.
Sztaki stats
 
Last edited:
Looks like Aqua is currently out of work, or at least I can't get any.

You are correct: http://aqua.dwavesys.com/server_status.php

Sorry guys I just assumed it had work because it looked like Simon was putting up some steady points. I did see on their front page they had the server down yesterday for maintenance so maybe they are still ironing out the kinks. :confused:
 
In on Muon!

edit: How do I make sure I correctly joined the team?
 
Last edited:
In on Muon!

edit: How do I make sure I correctly joined the team?

Here's our team page. If your name shows up after submitting work and Muon's next stats update, then you're all good.

I'll be starting Muon soon. I'm really close to 600K in Poem, in addition to overtaking Ukraine.
 
I'm going to venture out on my own a noodle with rosetta@home for a bit.

F@H Somehow, someway I've appeared on the top 20 producers for #33. :cool: Nothings changed on my end. We must be losing top-end producers (other than Tiger) for me to show up. I'm GPU heavy so maybe the SMP2 WU-from-hell thing is playing into this.......

/enjoys the brief spotlight/
 
Muon1 setup: Just download the zip file from the hompage, extract it and then put a user.txt file in the same folder as the app. The user.txt file only needs a single line for your username. Your username should be in the format [H]username. As you can probably guess using the [H] will contribute your points to the Horde and then your username is well, you username. :D Then I just started the muon1_background.exe and it seems to be running. Eric correct me if im wrong here.

Yup you are correct you create a user.txt file and the first line for me is [H]EricE. I use the muon1_cmdline.bat because it shows in the command line what is going on. Results send automatically and the user.txt is the way of registering.

Sazan, Yup I moved my i7 over yesterday and just now moved over my 2 c2ds.
 
Sounds like a good idea - this will give me a few weeks to take my main folding rig down for a full OS reinstall, and finally upgrade my dual core to that free q9550 I've had sitting around for almost a month now... I'll contribute what I can to Muon around that, and hopefully have two C2Q at full OC for the August project!

update: I have the moun_cmdlin.bat running (I like to be able to check progress, and that doesn't seem to work on the background module), but had to set the affinity to a single core to allow my remaining POEM units to finish. Even setting the config.sys file to the background setting AND using task manager to set the priority to low didn't stop it from taking 98-99% of both cores away from everything else...
 
Last edited:
I've never run it in parallel with anything else. I'd say just let your Poem units finish and then start up Muon again.

I'll be switching over this weekend, but I'm also going to take the time to work on some of my PCs. However, most of the ones with issues aren't in use now, so I should be able to throw a lot of cores at Muon soon.

Has anyone tried to figure out a goal for Muon? I know Free-DC doesn't track it, so it's hard to measure progress. Maybe we can see how far we get in a week an estimate a good goal. I'm hoping we can pick up a lot of DC Vault points even with a limited (but still [H]ard) effort.
 
Wow thanks for the heads up Mr. Flibble. I had no idea that was tracked by FreeDC. :)

Congrats in the Top 20 in F@H CraftyOtter. Good luck in Rosetta. :)

Im finishing up my POEM queue now and then over to Muon for a while.

Also it looks like Aqua has some work once again if anyone was waiting for that.
 
I've never run it in parallel with anything else. I'd say just let your Poem units finish and then start up Muon again.
At home, this is the plan, but I would've ran out of POEM on my work machine late tomorrow, and I don't want to lose 2 days of work over the long weekend! :eek: I tested it out, and after setting the config.sys to Background AND REBOOTING (oops), it seemed to work better. It ran at 50%, and BOINC split the other 50% (it's a Pentium D), and when I paused BOINC, it went up to 95%. Keeping fingers crossed!
 
Glad to hear it's working, Jathanis. My BOINC queues are almost empty, so I should be starting up Muon on a few boxen tonight.

Thanks for pointing out the Free-DC tracking, Mr Flibble. I didn't realize Muon was under a different name there, so I need to add the project to my page.
 
Yup you are correct you create a user.txt file and the first line for me is [H]EricE. I use the muon1_cmdline.bat because it shows in the command line what is going on. Results send automatically and the user.txt is the way of registering.
So it would be better to use the muon1_cmdline.bat to start this up if we want to see some some kind of numbers running? I like something I can see, lol.
I think I got everything setup, just letting my Poem WU run dry first.
 
So it would be better to use the muon1_cmdline.bat to start this up if we want to see some some kind of numbers running? I like something I can see, lol.
I think I got everything setup, just letting my Poem WU run dry first.

I installed the Muon Cockpit: http://www.v8.franken.de/Muon/MC.htm
It's like FahMon for Muon, letting you monitor multiple clients with a single app. So far it seems to work pretty well. I have one Muon client running (background mode) and I'm about to start it up on a second box.
 
Thank you Sazan. All setup now.
I am now running Muon,as all my Poem WU's ran out this morning.

Time to get our Muon on, lol.

OK, is there a way to somehow get this to just pause instead of shutting it down?
 
Last edited:
Observations so far:

Going into the config file and setting the CPU throttle line to 95% instead of 100% allowed my to video cards on my Q6600 machine to continue running full speed, about 9K-10K ppd. At 100%, Fahmon was down to about 7500 ppd...

Nothing I did could keep Collatz from slowing down Muon, except limiting the affinity for each to one core apiece. That said, unless anyone has a better suggestion, I'm shutting down BOINC entirely on my dual core machine for the Muon push.
 
I'm running Muon on three boxen. According to Muon Cockpit, I'm producing about 350K Mpts/day. My AMD quad is actually running really well, so I'm probably going to leave Muon running on it for a few months.

It looks like we should be able to move up two spots in the team ranking with no trouble, and maybe three if we can overtake The Pirate Fleet. However, to get to #20 we need to produce 47.5 million points this month. I think that should be a good goal.
 
Sazan - Would you be able to give us the model and speed of your processors and how many PPD they are producing? I really dont have any idea what specific processors are capable of. Thanks!:)
 
OK, is there a way to somehow get this to just pause instead of shutting it down?

With the default config file, it's supposed to autosave every 4 minutes, so if you just kill the process, you shouldn't lose any work.

Sazan - Would you be able to give us the model and speed of your processors and how many PPD they are producing? I really dont have any idea what specific processors are capable of. Thanks!:)

Intel Q9550 @ 3.4 GHz = 82K Mpts/day
Intel i7 920 @ 3.57 GHz = 168K Mpts/day
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3 GHz (stock) = 106 Mpts/day

The AMD rarely beats the C2Q, so these numbers are pretty impressive. Also, the i7 is about double the C2Q, so I guess that's the difference between 4 vs. 8 threads. The Mpts/day values vary a little bit depending on the work they're doing, but they've been relatively stable for the past day or so.
 
With the default config file, it's supposed to autosave every 4 minutes, so if you just kill the process, you shouldn't lose any work.
TY.
I also have another question. How often does this upload results. I was up to 45 results and it still hadnt uploaded them, I had to do it manually with the manualsend.bat.

I know, so many darn questions. But i really do appreciate you all being patient and posting answers for us "noobs", :).
 
I also have another question. How often does this upload results. I was up to 45 results and it still hadnt uploaded them, I had to do it manually with the manualsend.bat.

It uploads automatically when you have 100KB of results. Some results are big and some are small, so you can't rely on the # of results to know when it will upload. I assume with a faster proc or more cores, the 100KB limit is reached faster so results upload more often. It doesn't look like there's a way to change this in the config file, but you can always manually upload if you want to.

It looks like our team is making good progress so far. The DPAD stats on Free-DC seem a little wonky, but maybe they'll even out after a few more days.
 
TY again Sazan. I let it run over night to test the upload and sure enough you were right.
Once again, than you for your help :).
 
I got my other i7 920 running last night. So far muon is running really slowly (35K Mpts/day) but that might just be a bad mix of results. I'll see what it's doing tonight. This machine has had all sorts of problems so it's not currently overclocked.
 
Im trying to make a little headway in Aqua (gained one spot yesterday) but in a few more days I'll add my i7 to Muon. Nice work in Muon guys!
 
Great work so far in Muon guys! :) Lets keep up this good work, on Free-DC it says it should take just over 11 days to catch the next team.
 
I'm keeping my 2 core duo machines on POEM this month to hold our position.
 
My C2Ds are also still on Poem. Hopefully we can keep from dropping any spots. :)
 
Hopefully my farm does not shut down, we got some crazy thunderstorms in my area and flash flooding. Really need to buy a Battery backup. What do you guys suggest or use for your farms for battery backups? I got my i7 and 2 c2ds I'd like to be able to keep running through a storm.
 
A year or so ago Sunin recommended these to me. I bought one for my two machines at home and have had no issues with it at all. I've never had a scenario where the power has been off for an extended period of time but our power often flickers. I was getting tired of coming home only to find that both my machines were off or had rebooted and were sitting at a login screen. No problems now. :) Also buy.com has some great deals on these from time to time.
 
Thanks metallicafan, yeah mine can never go out for extended periods of time here because we have a inline generator. Within less than a minute of power going out it is on and running all of my house and then it auto flips back when power comes on. An expensive investment for my parents but, well worth it for the times it has been used.
 
I like APC brand UPSes, but that CyberPower looks good too. I agree to get a 1500VA model, because if you're crunching (especially with GPUs), you'll pull a lot of Watts and the UPS needs to be able to handle it.

We're making really good progress on Muon, but it looks like we'll only be up to #21 by the end of the month. I'll probably keep at least one box on it for a while, though.
 
I like APC brand UPSes, but that CyberPower looks good too. I agree to get a 1500VA model, because if you're crunching (especially with GPUs), you'll pull a lot of Watts and the UPS needs to be able to handle it.

We're making really good progress on Muon, but it looks like we'll only be up to #21 by the end of the month. I'll probably keep at least one box on it for a while, though.


great thing about muon is you can run some crappy old hardware on it and make some decent points.. use to run muon on my old athlon xp 2100+ actually forgot it was still running muon 8 months after i started it when i was packing my stuff up to move..


Thanks metallicafan, yeah mine can never go out for extended periods of time here because we have a inline generator. Within less than a minute of power going out it is on and running all of my house and then it auto flips back when power comes on. An expensive investment for my parents but, well worth it for the times it has been used.

yeah i wish we had that in my house during the bs brown outs years ago in california..
 
I like APC brand UPSes, but that CyberPower looks good too. I agree to get a 1500VA model, because if you're crunching (especially with GPUs), you'll pull a lot of Watts and the UPS needs to be able to handle it.

We're making really good progress on Muon, but it looks like we'll only be up to #21 by the end of the month. I'll probably keep at least one box on it for a while, though.

We use rackmount APC 1500VA units at work and we havent had a problem with any of those either. Other than replacing a few batteries they have been rock solid. Eric I would just make sure you get one with AVR and with a user replaceable battery. That way in a few years down the road you can just get a new battery instead of a whole new UPS. :)

I'll probably switch my i7 to Muon on Mon or Tues ad then kind of split some time between that and Aqua for the remainder of the month. I think we have gained 3 spots in Aqua thus far with a couple more in range.
 
I've got my second i7 920 running Muon again. For reference, I'm getting about 144K Mpts/day at standard clock speed.

I think the crashing problem I've been having is caused by the southbridge. Swapping HDDs didn't help, so I replaced the SATA cables and connected the HDD and DVD to the secondary JMicron controller on the mobo. I don't know if it will stop the crashing, but it stopped a lot of the errors in the Windows event log. If it remains stable I'll try some overclocking again.
 
Bad News, I lost a stick of RAM last night in my i7 box. :( I got it going again with just one 2GB stick but IM a little limited with 2GB of RAM.

Anyone know how much RAM Muon uses on an i7?
 
Alright Commandos - all our [H]ard work picked us up our first spot - we just passed Team TNT and moved into spot #23! Next up, we should pick up 2-3 more spots in the next week, including the Pirate Fleet (sorry SirMonkey!)...

And I really thought I could bring myself to take a system down for a few days this month to add a couple more cores... Yeah, right!
 
Back
Top