Judge Tosses iPad Overheating Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Whoa, I almost forgot about this lawsuit until it was dismissed by a federal judge today.

"The Court concludes that these allegations are insufficient," Fogel wrote in his order. "At the least, Plaintiffs must identify the particular commercial or advertisement upon which they relied and must describe with the requisite specificity the content of that particular commercial or advertisement."

Most important part of the article:

"Fogel gave Balthazar, Keller and Browning 30 days to file an amended complaint that must add the specifics he cited."

The dismissal is really more like a "try again".

So will each and every device Apple makes result in overheating lawsuits? It seems that way at least. I bet they get served with iPad2, mini iPhone, and iPhone 5 overheating lawsuits before they ever even hit the shelves.

I'm also suing Apple because unlike a book, it shorts out when you drop it in the water.

So will each and every device Apple makes result in overheating lawsuits? It seems that way at least. I bet they get served with iPad2, mini iPhone, and iPhone 5 overheating lawsuits before they ever even hit the shelves.

Probably, thats what happens when the magic wears off and people realize its just another piece of gear they paid way to much.

Probably, thats what happens when the magic wears off and people realize its just another piece of gear they paid way to much.

You mean like the Motorola Xoom? :rolleyes:

There's nothing magic about taking laptops and tablets outside into the sun and letting it roast and fry. Next you're going to tell me that computers built around water cooling is a result of paranoid fanatics.

Ding ding ding! As much as I like to jump on the anti-Apple bandwagon as much as the rest, there you have it, it in black and white (and red and yellow). Want to know an electronic devices limitations, open the damned manual, that info is always there, no?

With that said, the judge is lame. Their argument may be flawed, however, it's reasonable to presume that a device will WORK without overheating. Now, if you're trying to read the latest novel on your overpriced gadget in the park in 100 degree weather, you're asking for it, but in general use it should never overheat (haven't kept up too much but don't recall seeing people complaining of O/H in "normal" ambient temps).

And, yes, direct sunlight makes it worse. I'd think the dog locked in the car analogy would work here. Instead of a panting animal, you've got silicon chips in a plastic/metal shell.

You mean like the Motorola Xoom? :rolleyes:

There's nothing magic about taking laptops and tablets outside into the sun and letting it roast and fry. Next you're going to tell me that computers built around water cooling is a result of paranoid fanatics.

I dunno, you could say I'm paranoid about having safe super-high overclocks :D.

But seriously, what's the deal with everyone hopping on the suing/lawsuit bandwagon?

Back