Judge Orders Newspaper To Reveal Name Of Commenter

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a fantastic idea, let's all go on the internet and post comments about a murder trial that we are currently serving jury duty on. Oh yeah, don't forget to act surprised when this happens. :rolleyes:

Topeka newspaper has been ordered to identify the person who posted a comment on its website about a story on a murder trial. At the time, the commenter apparently was serving on the jury for that same trial. That person is believed to have been a juror in the first-degree murder trial of Anceo D. Stovall, 27, who was being tried on 11 charges.

So someone can just go to a public library, make up a trash and free e-mail address (if required for online newspaper registration), comment on a website about being a juror in a trial (being specific with names and dates), and walk away with complete anonymity. What a way to tie up our flawless justice system!

This. Also, I wonder how many money has been spent trying this guy for murder. By the way, good luck getting the newspaper to reveal who that person is.

This could be different. They may not be able to use the information to prosecute the possible juror. But they may be able to obtain the information to decide if the Juror was observing his instructions wrt to news stories about the topic and outside information.

So they may be able to find for a mistrial but not be able to touch the juror responsible for the mistrial.

Of course if I was a criminal, I'd have all my buddies to claim to be a juror and post all over. All you need is one place to successfully refuse to give up the name and you have a very slim shot at a mistrial. Or an excuse to be in court which seems to be popular in itself, it seems.

Judge does not have higher power over another citizen in this sense. Only in court. Go back home Judge, you're drunk with power.

Judge does not have higher power over another citizen in this sense. Only in court. Go back home Judge, you're drunk with power.
Unless it's you and your juror was tainted by an outside news story and it made the difference in your punishment. Then whose rights are violated?

So someone can just go to a public library, make up a trash and free e-mail address (if required for online newspaper registration), comment on a website about being a juror in a trial (being specific with names and dates), and walk away with complete anonymity. What a way to tie up our flawless justice system!

Most folks aren't capable putting that much planning or fore-thought into it though.

Are you familiar with how court orders work? This is a textbook example of a possible tainted juror, and the judge is doing exactly his job in performing due diligence to find out if the juror is in fact violating the rules regarding media and commenting about the case.

Back