Judge Green Lights iPhone 'Brick' Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
U.S. District Court Judge James Ware gave the go ahead today for the Apple iPhone “brick” lawsuit to move forward. This news comes despite Apple’s best attempts to have the lawsuit dismissed.

The suit claims that the companies violated US trade and copyright laws which had allowed users to alter their phones. The plaintiffs are suing both companies for violating federal antitrust laws.

I guess apple should be prepared to take lawsuits if they can also dish them.

oh and when i heard "Brick" i instantly assumed they were talking about the size, weight and general functionality of the unit... ;)

I thought that there is almost no possible way to brick an iPhone. You can always restore it with DFU mode.

If Apple purposely "bricked" or disabled the phones because they were running modified firmware, I would expect this. Instead, Apple should have added a checksum to the “update” software that prevented it from updating or installing over foreign code…

Cheers to the judge for acting with common sense and sticking to the law.

Apple should release these phones to all and let us deal with them how we want. Actually all cell companies should do this like in some other countries where you buy a phone and just pick a service.

Cheers to the judge for acting with common sense and sticking to the law.

Apple should release these phones to all and let us deal with them how we want. Actually all cell companies should do this like in some other countries where you buy a phone and just pick a service.
Agreed. I'm tired of buying things and being told that I don't really own them and can't do what I want with them.

Back