I've created this thread to track my experiences with the MSI NVIDIA 6150/430 based motherboard. At the time of this writing, the board has only been on the market for a month. There have been many myths and misconceptions already on this board and I hope this thread can help debunk those.
I encourage replies and posts to this thread. However, I don't want this thread to fill up with off-topic and useless crap and ranting. I thank you ahead of time for respecting this.
My experience as a user is 12 years of PC Building, I am not a hardcore overclocker by any means and tend to take a more moderate approach. 500MHz to 700MHz is all I typically expect and I do everything on air. I prefer my cars, and PC's, air-cooled.
Initial Config:
MSI K8NGM2-FID - v1.0 BOARD & v3.0 BIOS
AMD 3200+ Venice
Zalmann 7000 all copper HSF
2x512MB PC-4000 Ballistix
Hitachi 160GB SATA150
Onboard Video
XP Pro 64-Bit
Intial Experiences:
PROS:
CONS:
Here are some stock CPU-Z shots of my config with all BIOS settings for memory and CPU set at AUTO settings:


Now, let's get on to tweaking the BIOS and see what this baby can do. I'll be back soon with more updates.
- JT
I encourage replies and posts to this thread. However, I don't want this thread to fill up with off-topic and useless crap and ranting. I thank you ahead of time for respecting this.
My experience as a user is 12 years of PC Building, I am not a hardcore overclocker by any means and tend to take a more moderate approach. 500MHz to 700MHz is all I typically expect and I do everything on air. I prefer my cars, and PC's, air-cooled.
Initial Config:
MSI K8NGM2-FID - v1.0 BOARD & v3.0 BIOS
AMD 3200+ Venice
Zalmann 7000 all copper HSF
2x512MB PC-4000 Ballistix
Hitachi 160GB SATA150
Onboard Video
XP Pro 64-Bit
Intial Experiences:
PROS:
- Very nice board design and layout.
- BIOS has most overclocking options.
- VDIMM adjustable from 2.55 - 3.10 * Note: Another member received a newer BIOS from MSI support after having USB difficulties and this was apparently locked at 2.55V. However, there isn't a newer BIOS than 3.0 currently available to the public.
- CMOS reset button, not a POS jumper, is located towards the front of the board next to the battery.
- Unlike older boards with onboard video, the onboard video CAN be shared with a PCI-E video card. This is a very nice feature and there are several BIOS options for this, and other, display options.
CONS:
- I would have liked 3 PCI slots so there are still two available after installation of PCI-E video card.
- No VCORE at present time.
Here are some stock CPU-Z shots of my config with all BIOS settings for memory and CPU set at AUTO settings:


Now, let's get on to tweaking the BIOS and see what this baby can do. I'll be back soon with more updates.
- JT