Joystick?

Segfault

Weaksauce
I read about gaming keyboards, joysticks are no longer used? I recall last time I played a first person shooter game (Doom) getting a joystick was a major improvement. It really wasn't my cup of tea, I play only strategy games. Now I wonder, out of curiosity, how comes keyboard is suddenly considered a better control.

sticks are still used for flight games. lots use controllers now too, with all the console port, its kinda needed. but m/kb has been the standard, long before you even joined the forum.

People switched the USB plugged X-BOX or PS5 controllers on the PC you can stil use Joysticks in some games but alot of them are not compatible.

People switched the USB plugged X-BOX or PS5 controllers on the PC you can stil use Joysticks in some games but alot of them are not compatible.
nah, there are work arounds or adapters even for game port. only ones that used the midi on the game port, like the og sidewinder pro, are an issue to adapt but are doable.

sticks are still used for flight games. lots use controllers now too, with all the console port, its kinda needed. but m/kb has been the standard, long before you even joined the forum.
Wow, I didn't think me joining the forum was a major event for gaming world. It certainly wasn't some turning point for my gaming preferences. I played Doom when DOS-5 was new. Maybe I should try again, I found a joystick in my locker today. I did not even remember I had it. Still, I find it weird, keyboard preferred for action games. I was thinking joystick offers better control, allowing for finer tuning. Obviously I'm wrong and these new games somehow are better played with buttons. Hmh ... Maybe I should see if there are some videos of people gaming with keyboard ...

Basically Controllers gave mini analog Joysticks them usually two the one to look around the game the other to move forward or backwards.

Before mouse-look was a thing, I'd argue that it *was* easier to control old FPS games with a joystick and/or gamepad. I remember finding it easier to kill demons/nazis using my old Gravis Gamepad than the keyboard back in the day.

With that said, KB+M with mouselook is still unmatched by even the fanciest gamepad for FPS (imo).

Sticks have almost entirely fallen out of favor except for flight simulators and fighting games. Even fighting game fans have mostly moved over to pads. It's rare that anyone under 30 rocks a joystick anymore.
I think the rise of analog sticks on gamepads more or less led to sticks no longer being wanted/needed. You're basically able to do most of the same things (at least casually), and you even have a second stick + a D-Pad for other functions.
As far as shooters go, it's tough to beat a mouse for pure speed. I mean, the damn thing is designed to point at things as easily as possible. That's basically what you're doing in shooter games. The Wii-Mote is the only thing in the ballpark and it's tough to use for long periods of time.

"Gaming" keyboards are just keyboards with highlighted wasd keys, macros, nkro, and LEDs. And nowadays, the macros, wasd keys, and nkro aren't even guaranteed (although nkro is likely if it's usb).

Uh. Who are wasd and nkro and how do you eat them. Have to look it up ...

1643135901815.jpeg

Just to broaden the horizon a bit further, some people will use a gamepad and a mouse together. Analog stick movement while retaining mouselook, works pretty well if you don't need tons of buttons for a game.

Just to broaden the horizon a bit further, some people will use a gamepad and a mouse together. Analog stick movement while retaining mouselook, works pretty well if you don't need tons of buttons for a game.

Yeah, this is a killer option if the game supports it. Some do, some don't. The ones that don't tend to toggle one totally off when the other is touched. Milder issues include in-prompts going haywire when they try to show gamepad buttons and keyboard keys at the same time.

thats how i played apex, i called it hybrid mode

Sticks have almost entirely fallen out of favor except for flight simulators and fighting games. Even fighting game fans have mostly moved over to pads. It's rare that anyone under 30 rocks a joystick anymore.
I think the rise of analog sticks on gamepads more or less led to sticks no longer being wanted/needed. You're basically able to do most of the same things (at least casually), and you even have a second stick + a D-Pad for other functions.
As far as shooters go, it's tough to beat a mouse for pure speed. I mean, the damn thing is designed to point at things as easily as possible. That's basically what you're doing in shooter games. The Wii-Mote is the only thing in the ballpark and it's tough to use for long periods of time.
As a person who can bounce from both Stick and Pad...analog sticks are not good replacements for MicroSwitch Joysticks.

Back