Journalist Wearing Google Glass Attacked By Woman

Because, as has been reported over and over and over again, there is a almost universally accepted reality happening in San Francisco right now where wealthy Google (among other large tech companies) employees are moving into the city center, even though they work in the burbs, and driving up rents at an extreme rate. This is driving the previous lower income (lower than the Google type workers) home renting members of the community out.

Well yes and no. Missed the part about demand for the property increasing property values and making the original property owners, you know, the folks who actually own the land some nice pocket cash.

Sorry but this is just the way it is and the way it is supposed to be. These renters who are losing out to other people who have decided to buy these properties have no say in this matter. I am sure they are angry, but you have to ask yourself, if they were the ones with the cash wouldn't they be the ones buying the properties and not the google guys?

The issue with that is SF has some ridiculous rent control laws for older buildings that say something akin to the renter can't have their rent increased without the landlord proving increased depreciation/repair/whatever fees and the landlord can't kick them out in order to rent to someone who will pay higher.

Because, as has been reported over and over and over again, there is a almost universally accepted reality happening in San Francisco right now where wealthy Google (among other large tech companies) employees are moving into the city center, even though they work in the burbs, and driving up rents at an extreme rate. This is driving the previous lower income (lower than the Google type workers) home renting members of the community out.
No, they are not doing that. There are rent control rules, eviction protection rules, amongst other protections for renters in this city. The only exemption is for buildings which were built after 1979 which are not the "nice wholesome community vibe" type of buildings.

damn lack of edit

employees are moving into the city center, even though they work in the burbs, and driving up rents at an extreme rate.
If true (which it's really not, and getting WAY overblown) why is this evil, but everyone who works in the city center and lives the fuckall out in the burbs screwing up the freeways 5 days of the week with their commuter traffic and causing housing in the burbs to get jacked up to astronomical levels is a-ok?

Seriously, my house is Zillowed at around $650k, and the reported liveable space is 1250 sq.ft (twice that if you count the garage area which isn't counted), and a backyard that might be large for SF standards at about 1000 sq.ft. And my house is by no means on the high end of the price scale. This is an expensive place to live, so guess what? Rent will be expensive too!

I lol'd at this story when I read it earlier and hope his next one is smashed too. :D

Back