• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Jostle restarting

MrIgoe

n00b
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
51
Just built a new system, core i7 860, GTX 460 form gigabyte, 4GB ram, 750W corsair PSU, good stuff, but i noticed when i plug my headphones into my comp it causes it to restart.

Also noticed that when i move or bump the case it also restarts.

Thought maybe I had metal-on-metal contact on the mobo tray, so i put in some plastic washers, but that didnt change anything.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? I've had my friends take a look at it, and we've pretty much hit a wall, so as usual, we rely on the gestalt that is [H].


ANY advice/input/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. You guys always seem to come though!
 
Wait, did you use the standoff's in the case?

In the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide, follow the steps 1 to 4 of " A Barebones bench test:". See if the restarts still occurs.

Also please list the case and motherboard you have.
 
+1 to what case? Cases can be funky, for example, my antec 900 gives me hardcore static through the audio port.
 
I have a Lian Li PC60 case and a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 mobo

Will probably take it out and see if it boots outside the case, I just haven't had time lately, and when i messed with it before it wouldn't boot period.

Can't really say why it went back to booting, I took everything out, put it back in, didn't boot, did it again, and it DID boot, which leads me to believe its something finicky, like a contact somewhere.

When it runs, it runs fine, stress tested, runs SC2 at 1920 for hours on end, so I doubt its faulty hardware, just some weird phenomenon that persists when removing and replacing parts.
 
I don't know what would cause a cop to restart when plugging in a pair of headphones. It seems like anytime I unplug or plug in something it restarts.

I thought maybe it wasn't getting enough power but I put in a 750 watt and I'm getting the same deal.

How would a sound card port cause a comp to restart?
 
Not grounded properly or it's become defective.

Have you actually tested the PC outside of the case?

i wonder if this is a different form of loose solder syndrome, perhaps a baking is in order.

have you checked your ram seating? or perhaps a simple reinstall of the processor? (check the pins, maybe one is a little funky and breaks contact under the slightest of movements)
 
It seems to be OK outside the case, and I've reseated the proc twice now.

The pins seem to be ok, visibly anyway, but i am concerned my RAM resets to 1333 speed and not 1600 when its jostle restarted, but that may just be a weird mobo thing.

What worries me is that I can't see how a bent pin in the proc would cause restarts when inserting/removing a headphone jack, but I guess that could be caused by any number of things.
 
That's odd... Makes me think CMOS battery might not be securely locked into the battery socket thing. Do you manually set it to 1600 via the bios?

It is odd, did you make sure your speaker connectors were secure on the motherboard? I would honestly call Lian Li and ask if they have any ideas. If it is working outside of the case then of course that means the case is the problem...
 
It seems to be OK outside the case, and I've reseated the proc twice now.

The pins seem to be ok, visibly anyway, but i am concerned my RAM resets to 1333 speed and not 1600 when its jostle restarted, but that may just be a weird mobo thing.

What worries me is that I can't see how a bent pin in the proc would cause restarts when inserting/removing a headphone jack, but I guess that could be caused by any number of things.

well, im looking at it like, if your inserting a plug into a hole, a certain amount of force is required, albeit very tiny. any force in 1 location may mean a very small amount of movement elsewhere in the chassis. making, or breaking a contact that either should or should not be made... (either something is coming loose when it shouldn't, or it is creating a short.)

if it is working fine out of the case, perhaps the external jack its self is at fault and is shorting.. a small amount of voltage on the headphone plug is reaching the case, shorting out and causing the reset.

that would be my next suspect

/edit and now that you have it out of the case, double check your stand offs make sure you dont have to many, or the wrong ones installed.
 
Back
Top