JooJoo / CrunchPad Unveiled

HardOCP News

[H] News
Despite the fact that the JooJoo / CrunchPad will no doubt be tangled in a lengthy legal battle, I just don’t see this device really going anywhere. The thing is $500 and it isn’t even a full tablet PC (those never caught on either). I guess time will tell, preorders start on Friday.

The device is much along the lines of what we'd been hearing: it runs a UNIX-based OS, boots straight to a web browser (otherwise no apps at all), weighs about 2.4 pounds and features a 12.1-inch capacitive touchscreen. There are no physical buttons on the slate outside of the on-off switch, which taps into a 9 second boot time. Under the hood there's a 4GB SSD, WiFi (no 3G), an accelerometer and about 5 hours of battery life. Pre-orders start on December 11th, with a dream-shattering $499 pricetag bringing this thing back into the realm of reality.

I think it looks great to the eye, but dunno how usefull it will be

If $200, I'd be all over it
If $300, still probably pick one up if it has good battery life and decent performance
If $400, eh, probably not, unless it was exceptionally good

But $500? Hell no

I wouldn't buy just based on what the CEO looks like. Guy looks.....freaky....

I have to rate this F for FAIL.

I assume that since the battery life sucks and it is heavier than shit, that it has an old-ass Atom processor going to waste inside for a bugillion bucks.

What fantasy-land did this Cro-Mag thaw from? This is beyond retarded and if this was the exact same crap that was supposed to be the Crunchpad, SLAPS fer E'REBODY!

woulds be great @ $150-$199 with wifi only or $300 with 3G

$500 is crazy and stupid. if this is $500 what is the mythical iTablet going to cost?

I wanted to get one to use with my home automation setup but for that price my iPod Touch will do just fine.

Serious potential

Yeah, just not my speed for $500 and even if it were less I don't think I'd be all that interested anyway as while this thing is definitely lighter and runs better on battery I LOVE my tx2 and Windows 7 and having a full featured computer.

Now if it were Windows 7 powered, then maybe.

unless the $500 pricepoint is an initial soak the early adopters value I think it's sunk unless the user experience is exceptional. wiki claims the cpu is a 1.6ghz atom; assuming a 6 cell battery 5 hrs doesn't seem unreasonable. The energy budget for your standard 10" netbook is 5w screen, 5w mobo. A 12" 4:3 screen has a 60% larger area than a 10" 16:10; which brings the energy budget up to 13W; which means total battery life will only be about 75% as long as a netbook, So this should be compared to a 7.5h netbook. If the crunchpad numbers were calculated with wifi enabled (the device is all but useless without) then it's performance goes from good to outstanding relative to a netbook.

What a terrible name. I would be embarrassed to own one or even utter the name out loud. I can just see the commercial jingle:

"I want you to play with my JooJoo.. my JooJoo... my JooJoo..."

I have to rate this F for FAIL.

I assume that since the battery life sucks and it is heavier than shit, that it has an old-ass Atom processor going to waste inside for a bugillion bucks.

What fantasy-land did this Cro-Mag thaw from? This is beyond retarded and if this was the exact same crap that was supposed to be the Crunchpad, SLAPS fer E'REBODY!

I rate this post F for FAIL.

Battery life is right in line with other netbooks.
The Atom isn't "old-ass" - its still the latest for this size device.
"heavier than shit" - didn't see weight listed anywhere, but I'm guessing it'll be just as light as a 10" netbook.

Really price is its main drawback for its feature set (or its feature set is its main drawback for its price - either way ;) )

Code:
              Cellphone        JooJoo
Boot Time     always on        9secs (FAIL)
Wifi          check            check
3G            check            FAIL
Storage       8gb flash SD     4GB SSD (presumably OS even uses some of this, FAIL)
Weight        almost nothing   2.4lb (FAIL)
Apps          lots             only web browser (FAIL)
I wouldn't bother to spend even $10. What is the point? Another 2.4lb device I'm not gonna use to lug around?

JooJoo.png

Well, it does have a 12.1" touchscreen. Those things can't be too cheap.

Code:
              Cellphone        JooJoo
Boot Time     always on        9secs (FAIL)
Wifi          check            check
3G            check            FAIL
Storage       8gb flash SD     4GB SSD (presumably OS even uses some of this, FAIL)
Weight        almost nothing   2.4lb (FAIL)
Apps          lots             only web browser (FAIL)
I wouldn't bother to spend even $10. What is the point? Another 2.4lb device I'm not gonna use to lug around?

Just to nitpick, but cell phone boot times for smartphones can easily exceed far more than 9 seconds, calling it 'always on' is a cop out - you can leave JooJoo on all the time as well. Also, the JooJoo has an SD card slot (or if not, it has a USB port at least), so it really becomes a case of 4GB SSD vs. 256-512mb flash. Of course, there is also the whole 12.1" touch screen vs. 3" touch screen and 1.6ghz Atom vs. Cortex A8 (if you've got a good phone).

I like the idea of having a tablet I can leave on a table and surf the web when I'm sitting on the coach or something of that nature. If you have a netbook I could see how it may be pointless, but I don't have a netbook.

Not sure how much of a prolonged legal battle there can be when Michael Arrington (who is a LAWYER for frig's sake) never signed a contract with them and by his own admission didn't do any development of the project/product. Good luck with that, silly man.

I rate this post F for FAIL.

Battery life is right in line with other netbooks.
The Atom isn't "old-ass" - its still the latest for this size device.
"heavier than shit" - didn't see weight listed anywhere, but I'm guessing it'll be just as light as a 10" netbook.

Really price is its main drawback for its feature set (or its feature set is its main drawback for its price - either way ;) )

5 hours sucks now. It's right in line for other older, power sucking netbooks featuring an old-ass 1.6 GHz Atom.

Not "The Atom", "an old-ass Atom". Specifically, the cheap, superplentiful 1.6 GHz chip that's old as hell and contributes to the shitty battery life. If you aren't using Windows/readily available tweakable Linux, why go Atom? They could have gone with Snapdragon or a newer ARM Cortex-A8 (A9). If they really wanted to stick with Atom, they could have announced future availability with Pineview.

Not "The Atom", "an old-ass Atom". Specifically, the cheap, superplentiful 1.6 GHz chip that's old as hell and contributes to the shitty battery life. If you aren't using Windows/readily available tweakable Linux, why go Atom? They could have gone with Snapdragon or a newer ARM Cortex-A8 (A9). If they really wanted to stick with Atom, they could have announced future availability with Pineview.

The older Atom doesn't "contribute to the shitty battery life", it's the chipset it was originally paired with that consumed 15W all by itself. The original Atom on a newer chipset is just fine.

The reason to go with the Atom was options. Arrington said they were going to demo full operating systems on the CrunchPad, including Windows 7. Besides, when you need a little extra speed to render some complex web pages, and ARM is going to leave you twiddling your thumbs. And it's just a lot of pixels to be dealing with for an ARM.

I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from. Honestly, 4GB seems pretty anemic to me, but I'll bet it wouldn't be difficult to drop a 16GB+ flash card in there. And a Windows 7 tablet with a 12" capacitive touch screen for <$600 would be a steal. Of course, $500 for a "light surfing around the house" tablet does feel too high.

Pinetrail isn't out yet, and the z### series atoms were hobbled by a craptastic GPU making the n270/280 on i945 the lowest power option available that doesn't suck. Ion is much nicer for HD playback but gets worse battery life as a result.

While not waiting for Pinetrail seems like a poor option for a December release; this was originally supposed to be out mid summer (if not earlier); and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel's initial engineering samples were only given to major companies that weren't considered an NDA violation risk.

I'll add that I haven't seen any netbook makers showing off their forthcoming pinetrail models which means that if fusion garage was able to get engineering samples they almost certainly would've been gagged by intel from making any farther mention of the device until the official release date.

Back