Jonsbo makes some great low-profile coolers!

esplin2966

Limp Gawd
I have been looking for the best way to cool my i5-4590S in the tiny Minibox M350 case. I have tried the Silverstone AR05 and the Xigmatek Praeton LD964.

Recently, on a personal trip to Taiwan, I picked up 2 low profile CPU coolers: Id-Cooling IS-VC45 and the Jonsbo HP-400 Zone. I actually got the latter by mistake, since I read that it was 30mm tall while it was actually 36mm tall.

I almost didn't test the Jonsbo at all, since to me it was a no-name brand that I didn't even intend to get. Turns out the Jonsbo performed the best! It's the only cooler that doesn't exceed 85 deg in my super airflow-constricted case when I run Prime95. This is amazing because it's the smallest AND the cheapest cooler ($15 USD, really?). Here is the ranking of these 4 coolers in terms of performance:

1) Jonsbo HP-400 Zone - 36mm tall, rated for 110w TDP.

2) Silverstone AR05 - 37mm tall, rated for 65w TDP.

3) Id-Cooling IS-VC45 - 45mm tall, rated for 130w TDP.

4) Xigmatek Praeton LD964 - 45mm tall, rated for 115 TDP.

What I also found was that it didn't really matter how good the fans on the coolers are (changes the load temperature only by a few degrees). The heatsinks are the main differentiators. What I plan to do is get the quietest 92mmx25mm case fan I can find (it'll just barely fit in my case since the Jonsbo is so short) that still has fairly good air pressure and swap out the Jonsbo's loud fans.

Unfortunately, you can't buy the Jonsbo HP-400 Zone at all in the US. You can't even find it on Ebay... :(

Last edited:
Nice finding!
Have you tried every single heatsink with the same fan then? Do you remember the exact temps on each? I'm kinda curious to know the actual difference in the temperatures (I want to know the numbers XD).

Nice finding!
Have you tried every single heatsink with the same fan then? Do you remember the exact temps on each? I'm kinda curious to know the actual difference in the temperatures (I want to know the numbers XD).

I have tried every single heatsink with every single fan. Using the Silverstone cooler's fan for example, the Jonsbo averaged around 81 deg C while the Silverstone averaged around 85 deg C with prime95. The rest are all above 85 so I terminated the tests. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of my tests because I didn't expect to find anything too surprising. Guess I was wrong and I should always take pics lol.

I'm finding that Silverstone is starting to make some great products in the air cooling field. The Silverstone's fan is the best out of all 4 tested in terms of the combination of cooling power and noise. Their heatsink is the second best of the 4 tested. Outside of my tests, I have found that their newer case fans also have some very impressive specs, with the exception of the air penetrator series, whose specs don't represent actual performance because of their amazing ability to produce focused airflow. One thing I'm very happy with is that they don't seem to exaggerate their specs at all.

If the loud fan is barely cutting it you're probably not going to find a really quiet one that will produce acceptable performance.

Intel's specs only rate the i5-4590S for about 77C so your temps are pretty high even with the stock fan. If airflow in the case is a problem you might want to consider cutting a hole in the side of the case near the CPU fan and covering it with mesh or cutting out the center of an entire panel and replacing it with mesh.

I have tried every single heatsink with every single fan. Using the Silverstone cooler's fan for example, the Jonsbo averaged around 81 deg C while the Silverstone averaged around 85 deg C with prime95. The rest are all above 85 so I terminated the tests. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of my tests because I didn't expect to find anything too surprising. Guess I was wrong and I should always take pics lol.

I'm finding that Silverstone is starting to make some great products in the air cooling field. The Silverstone's fan is the best out of all 4 tested in terms of the combination of cooling power and noise. Their heatsink is the second best of the 4 tested. Outside of my tests, I have found that their newer case fans also have some very impressive specs, with the exception of the air penetrator series, whose specs don't represent actual performance because of their amazing ability to produce focused airflow. One thing I'm very happy with is that they don't seem to exaggerate their specs at all.

Very interesting! :eek:

If the loud fan is barely cutting it you're probably not going to find a really quiet one that will produce acceptable performance.

Intel's specs only rate the i5-4590S for about 77C so your temps are pretty high even with the stock fan. If airflow in the case is a problem you might want to consider cutting a hole in the side of the case near the CPU fan and covering it with mesh or cutting out the center of an entire panel and replacing it with mesh.

Actually, the Silverstone 92mmx15mm fan is pretty quiet, and it produced the same temperatures (within 1 deg) as the loud Jonsbo fans. I believe I can achieve better noise and cooling with a 92mmx25mm fan because it's thicker. This 10mm difference generally provides higher air pressure, which is important to a small case with significant airflow constriction. Slim fans tend to be pretty garbage at producing high air pressure.

I do agree that the heatsinks are probably going to make the main difference though. I think I'm gonna try this cooler next:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119153

Reviews suggest that it handles high tdp pretty well.

I'm also considering getting a Devil's Canyon CPU, since regular Haswells are apparently pretty garbage at handling high load, which might account for how hot this 65w CPU gets even when coolers with much higher rated TDP are being used on it.

Looks like the 4 heatpipes help the most in terms of cooling.

Although I currently don't need a low profile cooler I would like to get my hands on one at that price just for possible future needs. Maybe I could ask my sister who is going to HK this summer to grab me one. Only problem is she knows nothing about tech and I don't even know where in HK I would go to grab one myself.

Looks like the 4 heatpipes help the most in terms of cooling.

Although I currently don't need a low profile cooler I would like to get my hands on one at that price just for possible future needs. Maybe I could ask my sister who is going to HK this summer to grab me one. Only problem is she knows nothing about tech and I don't even know where in HK I would go to grab one myself.

Is she staying at a hotel or in an actual residential address? If the latter, you can try ordering from taobao, which is how I got it:

http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=39363004848&spm=a1z3n.7398726.0.0.angXB5

Is she staying at a hotel or in an actual residential address? If the latter, you can try ordering from taobao, which is how I got it:

http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=39363004848&spm=a1z3n.7398726.0.0.angXB5

Ah how could I forget about taobao? Thanks! She'll probably visit family in China actually (Shenzhen) which means only 88 RMB for that! Pretty neat for £10/$15!

They even have a AXP-200 competitor (HP-625) with 6 heatpipes and 77mm height for 149 RMB (£17/$25) and a 120mm tower cooler with 6 heatpipes (they say 12 but I think it's actually just 6) for only 249 RMB (~£28/$41)

I didn't realise the £ depreciated so much vs RMB though. It used to be £1 = 10 RMB, now it's £1 = 8.86 RMB but I guess the same applies to the $. At least I'm not holding Euros.. I would be crying right now haha.

I haven't been pleased with the IS VC45, but it's apparently meant for 95w and above processors up to the 130w stated limit.

ID cooling seems to be aggressively expanding their low profile options though. IS lineup

Ah how could I forget about taobao? Thanks! She'll probably visit family in China actually (Shenzhen) which means only 88 RMB for that! Pretty neat for £10/$15!

They even have a AXP-200 competitor (HP-625) with 6 heatpipes and 77mm height for 149 RMB (£17/$25) and a 120mm tower cooler with 6 heatpipes (they say 12 but I think it's actually just 6) for only 249 RMB (~£28/$41)

I didn't realise the £ depreciated so much vs RMB though. It used to be £1 = 10 RMB, now it's £1 = 8.86 RMB but I guess the same applies to the $. At least I'm not holding Euros.. I would be crying right now haha.

Actually, I think the tower cooler does in fact have 12 heatpipes. Look at the pictures:

http://img02.taobaocdn.com/imgextra...XXXbRXXXXXXXXXXXX-152830506.jpg_620x10000.jpg

It's 6 on each side. I'm pretty curious to see if it's any competition to hyper evo 212 or noctua tower coolers.

I haven't been pleased with the IS VC45, but it's apparently meant for 95w and above processors up to the 130w stated limit.

ID cooling seems to be aggressively expanding their low profile options though. IS lineup

I'm fairly displeased with it too. Seems like they REALLY exaggerate their specs. 130w, really? My Silverstone AR05 performs better, and it's rated for 65w... is-vc45 is supposed to be their premier low-profile cooler (it's much more expensive than all the other ones), and it's been a huge disappointment, so I'm not sure if any of their other low-profile coolers are any better. I would prefer it if they make just one cooler well.

Btw, have you (or anyone else reading this) tried the thermolab itx30? I saw some reviews claiming that it's slightly worse than the Noctua nh-l9i, can anyone verify that?

I tried the VC45 on a 4770s, also a 65w part. Reviewing the literature and in speaking to ID-Cooling, they actually recommend 95w processors and above.. but even when tested on a 140w cooler, it can barely cope.

I actually completely forgot about that Thermolab itx30 until you just mentioned it again now. I believe those reviews are correct.

So it does better with 95w or above CPUs than 65w CPUs? If that's the claim, I find that really weird and I'm not sure I believe it.

If the itx30 only performs equal or worse than the Noctua, then I guess my only hope currently is buying the evercool cooler I linked and then swap out the 80mm fan for the 92mm Silverstone fan for silence+cooling performance.

Hi guys, i have one question: what's the best cooler under 48mm? i plan to do some OC on the G3258 and also can it hold i7 4690k prime 95 with decent temp, if yes ~what temps?

Hi guys, i have one question: what's the best cooler under 48mm? i plan to do some OC on the G3258 and also can it hold i7 4690k prime 95 with decent temp, if yes ~what temps?

I haven't tested the Noctua nh-l9i nor the Evercool hpl-815 I linked earlier, but out of the ones I have tested so far, the Jonsbo mentioned in the OP is the best, followed by the Silverstone AR05.

I don't believe that there exists a sub 48mm CPU air cooler that can hold i7 4790k (I'm assuming you meant i7 4790k and not i5 4690k) prime95 with decent temp, assuming decent means 75 deg or below.

So it does better with 95w or above CPUs than 65w CPUs? If that's the claim, I find that really weird and I'm not sure I believe it.

If the itx30 only performs equal or worse than the Noctua, then I guess my only hope currently is buying the evercool cooler I linked and then swap out the 80mm fan for the 92mm Silverstone fan for silence+cooling performance.

I agree, it's a strange claim and from testing done in the link I provided doesn't really seem true.

I'm curious about how the IS-40 would fare, it should perform relatively similar to the HP-400 and AR05, possibly slotting in-between the two:

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/21/name/IS-40

I agree, it's a strange claim and from testing done in the link I provided doesn't really seem true.

I'm curious about how the IS-40 would fare, it should perform relatively similar to the HP-400 and AR05, possibly slotting in-between the two:

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/21/name/IS-40

I'm not the most optimistic, but it's worth a try next time I'm in Taiwan, which might be about 2 months from now.

I used to think that more heatpipes => better cooling, but the Xigmatek Praeton cooler completely changed my opinion of that.

Ty for answer. Yes, i mean i7 4790k my mistake but do you think it can hold it with decent temps in gaming/normal use? The problem is that in my country the only >48mm available coolers are NH-L9i (witch it's pretty expensive), Scythe Kodati (witch i don't like the design), Reeven Vanxie and ID-Cooling IS-40 but i really like the Jonsbo HP-400 . From my guess the ID-Cooling IS-40 look to be the best in cooling performance from what it's available in my country. Any suggestions ?

Id cooling cooler are ok, but the fans crappy. Got one from china and upgrade with a noctua fan. Still pretty small!

I'm fairly displeased with it too. Seems like they REALLY exaggerate their specs. 130w, really? My Silverstone AR05 performs better, and it's rated for 65w... is-vc45 is supposed to be their premier low-profile cooler (it's much more expensive than all the other ones), and it's been a huge disappointment, so I'm not sure if any of their other low-profile coolers are any better. I would prefer it if they make just one cooler well.

Btw, have you (or anyone else reading this) tried the thermolab itx30? I saw some reviews claiming that it's slightly worse than the Noctua nh-l9i, can anyone verify that?
You guys taken a look at the original IS-VC45 thread ( http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1849578 )? Kinda buried in the forums by now, but at least your findings add to our less than stellar performance confirmation (despite still not finding any major reviews on the cooler after all this time).

I guess vapor chambers aren't some sort of magical heat transfer devices. It's basically a 2D heat pipe, if you consider typical heat pipes to be 1D. The only place we've seen it successfully employed is with GPU blowers where the airflow is parallel to the vapor chamber baseplate. You don't see any GPU manufacturers using vapor chambers with top-down coolers. Those are still dominated by typical heat pipes.

Ty for answer. Yes, i mean i7 4790k my mistake but do you think it can hold it with decent temps in gaming/normal use? The problem is that in my country the only >48mm available coolers are NH-L9i (witch it's pretty expensive), Scythe Kodati (witch i don't like the design), Reeven Vanxie and ID-Cooling IS-40 but i really like the Jonsbo HP-400 . From my guess the ID-Cooling IS-40 look to be the best in cooling performance from what it's available in my country. Any suggestions ?

Well, I have never tried the is-40, so it's hard for me to comment. Maybe you can buy it and tell us how it goes? :D

Back