Jon Peddie 2009 Q4 GPU Sales

sethk

2[H]4U
http://hothardware.com/News/Despite-Yield-Problems-GPU-Sales-Surged-in-Q4-2009/

Via HotHardware - it's interesting to see actual numbers versus trying to gauge market status through enthusiast goggles. If anything, I'm surprised to see that Nvidia was down only 6% YTY. Even if they manage to launch any real volume DX11 SKUs in Q1 2010, I'm guessing they're still losing some more marketshare this quarter, but probably not enough to lose their lead.

If I had to guess the fairly below the radar "Optimus" technology might have more of an impact on OEM wins and therefore total units sold for Nvidia than Fermi will.

Nvidia probably managed to hold on to discrete by flooding the market with cheap G92 and GT2xx cards. It'll be interesting to see how well they fared in Q1 2010 now that AMD is past its early TSMC woes. And yeah, it looks like Optimus could help them lock down a lot of discrete wins on Arrandale notebooks.

Looks about right. Considering most of the change-ups occurred in the high-end segment, not much is really going to change. Q1 2010 will definitely be more interesting for analyzing trends. I'm surprised NVIDIA lost such a substantial market share to Intel (6% in one quarter is huge), considering there really wasn't much change in available products. It might be a repercussion due to the issues NVIDIA had with OEM chipsets.

Back