Join the Alliance -- the Socket 939 Alliance!

Still rockin' my single-core Athlon 64 3500+! However, sucks that websites are starting to use more and more video ads which starts to eat into my cpu.... Looks like I am going to have to try and sell this stuff soon and build up some fundage for a quad-core photo editing machine... bah

Still rockin' my single-core Athlon 64 3500+! However, sucks that websites are starting to use more and more video ads which starts to eat into my cpu.... Looks like I am going to have to try and sell this stuff soon and build up some fundage for a quad-core photo editing machine... bah

You could always use the FlashBlock extension in firefox. I use this for my notebooks to keep flash from eating up CPU without my permission.

i have an old dfi lp ut nf4 ultra-d lying around w/ 2x1gb pc3200. maybe if i find a cheap x2 ill give it to a family member.

I got an htpc that is a x2 4200+ 939, although I never use it. :p It was my main rig for 5 years, never let me down.

You could always use the FlashBlock extension in firefox. I use this for my notebooks to keep flash from eating up CPU without my permission.

The latest FireFox (since 3.6.4) containerizes Flash with plugin-container.exe and totally sucks down the CPU ... go to about:config search "ipc" and change the 4 true items to false, and restart FireFox.

The container attempts to keep FireFox alive if Flash/QT crash but the huge performance hit isn't worth it.

Opteron152_3GHz.jpg

I still have a FX-55 kicking around. Was using it to run a Warcraft 3 game-hosting bot for like a year.

Got one of these for my old 4200x2 a few months ago.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Works a treat and has modern caps and power circuits.

I still have an opty 165 sitting in an unopened box lol and like a dozen 939 boards laying around including a matx sli board

wtf is holding my 2.0ghz dual core opteron back?

msi k7n neo4 ultra
mushkin pc3200 ram 1GB * 2

i can't get windows to boot at any speed past 2.15ghz; it runs BOINC and F@H 24/7 at this speed all day. core temps never pass 50*c at full cpu load
but the second i bump the speed up to 2.16 windows refuses to post even after bumping the memory or core voltages up

I searched for it. Didn't see it at any US retailers, but it is on Asrock's site and some international sites
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...(Socket+939)+DDR+Motherboard+?productId=39717

Pretty awesome mobo for kickin' it oldschool, but IMO unless you have an FX-60 and some kickass DDR-400, probably not worth bothering trying to track down. $40 Athlon II X2 240 would probably beat out any Socket 939 processor in performance, at a much lower TDP.

I searched for it. Didn't see it at any US retailers, but it is on Asrock's site and some international sites
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...(Socket+939)+DDR+Motherboard+?productId=39717

Pretty awesome mobo for kickin' it oldschool, but IMO unless you have an FX-60 and some kickass DDR-400, probably not worth bothering trying to track down. $40 Athlon II X2 240 would probably beat out any Socket 939 processor in performance, at a much lower TDP.

Ah, Good points, but the question is...how does it overlock?

Got one of these for my old 4200x2 a few months ago.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Works a treat and has modern caps and power circuits.

To anyone thinking of trying to get one of these boards shipped to the USA...

59.98 British pounds = 94.45USD, ( and of course there's shipping, IF they'll ship to the USA ).

Personally, I'd love to mess with one of these boards ( I have some ddr433 AND ddr500 ) but I'm not willing to spend that much for something I'm just going to tinker with.

Well I bought the board as I had all the parts laying around except a 939 board. So rather than buy a 6 year old piece of junk off Ebay I got this instead.

It is a super board and perfect for a all purpose workhorse machine I wanted for virus scanning and system testing.

It has all the ports you'd need and the reassurnace of a modern design.

I have to admit I havent tried overclocking as its not been bought for that.

Been rock solid so far.

I still have an opty 165 sitting in an unopened box lol and like a dozen 939 boards laying around including a matx sli board

Willing to part with one of those boards by any chance? :)

My 4200+ X2 has been without a home ever since my Abit KN8 ultra died.

Been a while but my single core Winchester 3500+ is still running, it was installed into the Biostar board April 2006...

I recently aquired another Opty 165 for free. Nothing to stick it on, but I may build a cheap rig for a fellow gamer that still using a P4.

A friend of mine is still running a 939 3200+ with an AGP board!

I sold him that thing four or five years ago. To this day he still won't upgrade it.

I still have a full functioning naked 165 opty in a DFI Ultra D that has been modded to a SLI board.

I miss 939, as it was the first socket I ever over clocked more then 100 MHz

Good times!

Edit: 939 just sounds good! Almost like a special limited rocket bike. Kinda like a Kawasaki ZX 636.

Anyone ever notice that?

Last edited:
Discovered the other day that my 2.8GHz 939 system doesn't have enough oomph for a large resolution mkv file. Neither did my C2D 2GHz. Had to use the mighty i7 system for 2560x1440!

My old S939 3800x2 was sold off over two years ago... To my boss. It's now my office computer, doing duty as a photo editing station. It's still chugging along at 2.4ghz on stock cooling after all these years :)

My 939 X2 4200+ (dual core) is still my daily driver, but I'll probably replace it this year. I've had it since 2005 (was a 3200+ initially). :)

What happen to the 754 thread is it gone?

edit: never mind found the drop down menu:\

Last edited:
Been rocking my X2 4400+ in an Asus A8NSLI Deluxe in my server for years now without so much as a hiccup. It gets very heavy use on a daily basis as well...I'm amazed at how long its lasted and I got it second hand as well.

I parted with all my 939 kit end of last year, I had oodles of it and I really miss them, they all worked perfect and I knew them inside out and for doing everything that I do, they performed admirably, even compared to the latest greatest cpu's.

Although I hardly gamed on them in the last few years, they could do everything else without a fuss.

I ran X2 3800 and X2 4400, X2 4800 and a FX60 systems all with 4 gig each, the 48 and the fx60 did everything beautifully.

I sold them all for 270 complete with video cards and sound cards etc, just so I could buy a decent uptodate system which I am now using.

939 was one of my best pc buys up to this point in time, as the stuff lasted me from 2005 til 2010.

I still have one 754 system left to keep me intouch with history :)

My stepson using my old 939 4800+ in a rebuilt system that I built for him. My s754 is doing awesome duty as my FreeNAS box. LOVE that thing. 400Mbps writes to that bitch.

Seems the 4200 was a popular chip.

I just got handed a C2D E6420 2.13Ghz and two 1GB sticks of OCZ DDR2 7200 ram. Just wondering whether to turn that into my work/stunt machine and sideline the 4200 for a spare.

Tough call.

I had to retired my AMD FX-60 two months ago and replaced it with i7 980x, it was a pretty big jump for me. I had that CPU for 6 years in my main rig and it was awesome.

I've got a 3600 x2 is it worth trying to update this thing to run some modern games?

I'm not talking about dx11 special effects, just ok frames in RIFT, where lots of players are on screen.

I've already loaded it up with 4gb ram and picked up an 8800gtx so my question is should i drop anymore coin and update the processor?

To my surprise the evga motherboard has SLI support, so a power supply and another 8800 could be in the works, but will a 939 board even benefit from the beefy 8800gtx's or is it best to have something like a 660i built for that kind of setup.

With mixed feeling, I'm announcing that I'll soon renounce my Socket 939 "membership". I built my computer in 2005 with an Athlon 3200+. A couple years later, I upgraded the CPU to an X2 4200+. But it was showing its age and I finally replaced it.

I now have a new computer powered by an i7-3770K. The difference in speed is amazing. I'm in process of transferring my files and re-installing apps. I hope to get another 7 years with my new computer! Who is still using a Socket 939 as their daily driver?

I just recently upgraded my 4800+ Media center computer to a new AMD APU a couple months ago. Since then I have not been a 939 user. I still have three 939 procs in my PC parts bins though. I thought about building one to play some old games but after seeing what people are doing with new software and dos box situations, it is no longer needed.
They still have a place in my heart though.

It made me so sad to have to finally retire both of my athlon 64 4000+ CPUs. I actually had the motherboards in both systems eventually crap out and die/went crazy. I'm in the process of rebuilding both systems with Sandy Bridge Pentiums. While they are much faster and efficient, the southbridges are so close to the primary pci-e slot that I can't use my passive HD6850 anymore. I miss the 939 rigs they were supposed to last much longer than they did.

Back