John Carmack Interview Part II

HardOCP News

[H] News
Game Informer has posted the second half of their interview with John Carmack. The interview covers stuff like Steam, the Doom movie and developing for the Xbox 360 compared to the PS3 and why they are not developing for the Wii. Here’s a quote:

So I’m really pleased with what they’re doing with the Wii and with the DS—and they’re doing innovative things. But our current generation of game technology is not targeted at the Wii. Maybe that was a mistake on our part originally, but we have been looking strictly at the 360, PS3 and PC as what we want to simultaneously develop on. We probably aren’t going to be able to hit the Wii with the same technology platform.

But our current generation of game technology is not targeted at the Wii. Maybe that was a mistake on our part originally,

AKA - We might want to rethink our strategy a little as the Wii is selling like hotcakes and it seems 80% of the population does not care for realistic gore in games.

He is not a fan of the PS3 dev kits,is a big fan of the 360 dev kit/tools,I felt like he was going to say "Hey,I could have redone DX10 and made it work with XP flawlessly and we all would have been happy for another 4 to 5 + years,well everyone except MS and its many shareholders" He doesnt like change,and is not happy with having to redo it all
because of multi core cpu's.He wants more "Gigahertz" :p Programmer speak,for I am lazy.... He complains about the Gigahertz race ending,but offers no alternatives as to
how we keep increasing cpu power,while lessening heat output.Come on John,tell us what you really think about Sony and the PS3 :D Best interview I have seen with him in ages....

He is not a fan of the PS3 dev kits,is a big fan of the 360 dev kit/tools,I felt like he was going to say "Hey,I could have redone DX10 and made it work with XP flawlessly and we all would have been happy for another 4 to 5 + years,well everyone except MS and its many shareholders" He doesnt like change,and is not happy with having to redo it all
because of multi core cpu's.He wants more "Gigahertz" :p Programmer speak,for I am lazy.... He complains about the Gigahertz race ending,but offers no alternatives as to
how we keep increasing cpu power,while lessening heat output.Come on John,tell us what you really think about Sony and the PS3 :D Best interview I have seen with him in ages.

Back