Jobs in IT, requiring networking knowledge or what?

frankyk

Gawd
I'm a fresh college graduate, in Economics

I really don't like Economics that much, but want to go into business with some IT stuff also. Eventually I'm thinking of getting a Masters of Information Systems Management or a MBA with an IT focus.

I'm like a lot of people who likes computer/network stuff and knows a fair share, but nothing extraordinary, just a little bit of everything.

What are some essential IT skills that I should learn to make myself competitive?

I obviously can't go the engineering route or computer science since I don't have that background and it would probably take a long time to learn programming.

What are some stuff that I can learn on my own that would definitely be helpful in an IT environment/workplace? Basically, there is always on the job training, but before then, what do I need to possess in my resume/skill section to get myself the interview/job.

Are network administrators fun? Does it require much? Is the pay OK? What other kind of IT jobs are interesting that has a business focus too maybe?

Also, any good books I can get at Barnes and Noble or something? Not textbooks since I don't have any place that sells them.

Think about what area you want to get into. I got into small business network consulting a few years ago, you start out working for a place that implements/supports networks at smaller businesses. Like law firms, accounting offices, health care agencies, dentist offices, manufacturing plants, etc etc. Basically every type of business you drive by..that has computers..a network of say under 75 nodes. It's a field that's absolutely EXPLOADED in demand. I love it..something different all the time. None of the "same ol' same ol' report to your cubicle" stuff.

start thinking about your answer for the inevitable question:

"So we see that you have an economics degree. Why do you want to work as an 'X' in our company?"

where X is the It-based job you're applying for.

well, other than going into business, the economics major was kinda a last resort.

i like IT stuff, video cards, hardware, stuff like that, but i'm curious as to what i need to know to get into a position where i might be doing IT stuff as a living.

like for example, to be a network administrator, what kinda skills/knowledge should i have?

any books i can read on? i don't believe i know nearly enough about security/networking to get a job yet, should they interview me, i want to be prepared for an interview and have the right knowledge to get into a job based on IT, so with networks or information systems or whatever.

the intention is to get a mba with an it focus or a MIS or something.

i'm just asking for networking for example, what should i read up on and anything else that would be useful i guess for IT. to be competitive.

Get a book based on the network + certification and start from there. Maybe get the certification once your done. It won't be anywhere near enough to get you a real IT position, but it'll get you started and it will introduce you to a lot of network topics. If you know you want to go the hardware route, routers, switches, etc. Maybe pick up a book for the CCNA. If you want to get into operating systems and software, good luck. Start by looking towards Microsoft certifications (you'll be hard pressed to get a network admin job without an MCSA at best, which consists of four Microsoft certs.). Without the background of computers in college you'll either need the work experience or certs to get you somewhat recognized in the field. I promise you though, work experience is MUCH better than just going out and getting a bunch of certs.

good thing to check out is on craiglist the jobs sections and look in systems/networking jobs and see what people are looking for

frankyk said:
i like IT stuff, video cards, hardware, stuff like that, but i'm curious as to what i need to know to get into a position where i might be doing IT stuff as a living.

i'm just asking for networking for example, what should i read up on and anything else that would be useful i guess for IT. to be competitive.

"Hands on"...gotta put in your due time as a grunt. Knowing how to work with hardware inside PC's is great and all..you'll always need that...but have to look way beyond that. Upgrading hard drives, video cards, RAM, fixing OS issues...you don't want to stop there..those are just "service bench jobs"...fine $$ for a few years when you're young...but you'll probably want to move up.

What I did..I got into computers with only similar experience...added RAM, installed video and sound card upgrades, formatted and reinstalled, etc.

Took a job at a small software place, they needed someone to setup their software on PCs..network them...packed and ship them turnkey. "experience preferred, but will train the right person". Low pay, but figured I'd do it for about a year. Learned quite a bit in that year.

A year later...met someone at a bar who needed help at a Holiday Inns network he took care of...they used a clunky networking software...Artisoft LANtastic. I knew that package well from that job I had...so I helped him for a couple of nights...he offered me a job. So after 1x year doing my first job..here was an offer for another job...working at a Computerland franchise. I did stuff on the service bench fixing carry in PC..and helped out some of their network engineers doing "onsites" at customers network. That gave me lots of good experience. After a few years they were sending me to CompTIA courses 'n stuff...but working shotgun with their senior techs was the best. After a while I was doing some jobs solo...and it went up from there.

Went with a group of them who left and started another local consulting company...for a couple of years...then went into a small LLC with someone else I'm with now.

There's so many different areas to get into.

So to me..most of it was hands on. Yeah throw in a measure of courses, hitting up tech forums, etc.

If you want to work for a big place...get a "title" job there...from what I've seen..much of it is political...get your foot in the door with some entry job there, or even another department. Then play the game hard, get into the IT department..get them to like you..and start training you. I've seen lots of places that have taken the right person in..and send them to school, paid, training, etc.

above poster pretty much nailed it.

A. Degree does matter, its puts your foot in the door.
B. EXPERIENCE!!! I can't say it enough, that is what matters.
C. Althou, this goes hand n hand with B, Certifications.

I lost a job to a less experienced person due to not having a degree. Thats ok thou, i realized after I applied i like my current job better.

I started doing bench work at the age of 17, pc repairs.. it was fun for a while then it got old. I told the boss what i wanted to do, first they stuck me with a MSCE as his assistant, i soon realized thats is NOT what i wanted to do. Next moved onto a CCNP's assistant.. that's where I've been for the past 3yrs. Within the last few months I've become almost a full fledged network engineer. (Once i get my CCNA or CCDA i officially get the title). 3 months ago i did my first and largest self install. 37 Cisco 3750 switches, stacked and etherchanneld.

frankyk said:
Are network administrators fun? Does it require much? Is the pay OK? What other kind of IT jobs are interesting that has a business focus too maybe?

I have a ton of questions for you mostly to answer questions I have but might not be as helpful to you... so instead I'll just offer this.
In addition to all the stuff above - do some serious research. I get the feeling you majored in something just to major in something, and it *feels* like you're doing the same thing in regards to an IT job. Questions like 'is it fun' are what I'm basing that wild assumption off of, it's a job, the enviroment can be fun or dull or downright painful. Subnetting isn't exactly something that causes people to run down the hallway screaming "Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!" at the top of their lungs (nerf fights on the other hand do).

So, enough rant? Yeah, go here:
http://online.onetcenter.org/
And look up the jobs you think you're interested in.

Two in particular for this forum would be,
Network and Computer Systems Administrators:
http://online.onetcenter.org/link/summary/15-1071.00

Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts:
http://online.onetcenter.org/link/summary/15-1081.00

At the bottom of the summary pages is a menu for getting info on a particular states outlook for that job.

Since your on the west coast here are those links:
Network and Computer Systems Admin
http://www.acinet.org/acinet/occ_rep.asp?optstatus=011000000&soccode=151071&stfips=06&search=Go

Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
http://www.acinet.org/acinet/occ_rep.asp?optstatus=011000000&soccode=151081&stfips=06&search=Go

Also dig around on that site under the Skills Search link on the main page to figure out if there is some combination of your Econ skills and your computer skills that would fit in an area you wouldn't otherwise imagine.

Malk-a-mite said:
Questions like 'is it fun' are what I'm basing that wild assumption off of, it's a job, the enviroment can be fun or dull or downright painful. Subnetting isn't exactly something that causes people to run down the hallway screaming "Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!" at the top of their lungs (nerf fights on the other hand do).

Yeah...I'll bring this up again. There are many possibilities in the IT job world, many different directions to get into. Different personality types will fit into different positions better than others. As for me? I love working with people..so I love the different scenes/environments I work in all the time, different people all the time. Lots of fun with short term projects that last a few weeks or months...get to hangout with some peeps for a longer period of time. Other clients...several times a year, several times a month, once a week, depending on their needs.

Do you like "hands on"...such as building things? I love hardware...every time I'm about to unleash a new server for someone...it's like XMas time when that server arrives and I'm building it. Or upgrading switches/routers for a client. Or those big projects several times a year...you're building a server cabinet for a client...doing a network from the ground up. Fun stuff. Since I love hardware too...it's a nice combo for me!

Or do you prefer to work by yourself, and not deal with people?

Do you have patience with people? The ability to not talk down to them..but the ability to shed the techno-babble..and walk them through things in laymens terms? Some areas may require this.

Will you mind working under pressure? When something goes tits up like a server or router..and it seems like the whole world is screaming at your...looking over your shoulder as you sweat it out. Some areas may require this.

Back