Job Opening : IT Technician (Phoenix, AZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're seeking employment doesnt that mean that $40k > $0?

One would think.
Plus..it's a school district...so probably a great retirement 403k through TiaCref that the school contributes to 6% of your salary out of THEIR pocket..you can match and bump up to another 12% pre tax. And excellent benefits and insurance. Usually working for something like that is worth another 20% on your salary.

Plus I dunno what the COL is over there (cost of living)...40k may be pretty decent.

The ASR (arizona state retirement) 403b pension is 9.1% pre-tax. You can't adjust it.
The district matches dollar for dollar from day one. 18.2% pre-tax going towards your retirement.
Plus at last count we get about 22+ days off with holidays (2 weeks for Christmas), 1 week for Spring Break, and every other federal holiday.

Although I'm saddened that people are just looking at the money. Come on, you get to get in on a district revamping their entire infrastructure from the ground up over the next 3 years. And you get to participate! Isn't that worth something? Who WOULDNT want to get in on that! Plus all the special projects you would get to take ownership of. Re-wiring switch closets, racking and stacking new servers, running cable, deploying new wireless, new projectors, sound systems, programming intercom systems, the list goes on and on.

If i wasn't half way across the country I would take you up on it. Sounds like fun.

Couldn't take the summers in Phx any longer and left almost 3 years ago now, but if I was still there would definitely toss my name in at least.

If you're seeking employment doesnt that mean that $40k > $0?

unless you own a home and are supporting a family, I'd go broke in a hurry making only 40K.

Still, sounds like a good entry level position, I'm sure the successful candidate will learn a lot, and that's worth more than the money sometimes.

I know a few people who are looking here in Phoenix....I'll pass the word around. Sounds like a pretty sweet gig.

Seeking new employment doesn't necessarily mean he's not working. The keyword being *new* guys :D GL on the search man. Sounds like an amazing opportunity for someone to get their feet really wet in all kinds of shit. This is how you get into IT.

I wouldn't worry about the heat.. It's Novell that's going to get you ;)

The whole reason I have never and will never work for a school. Too many of them use novell and after working with it for a year and a half I'm done.

Lotus is another no go for me.

The ASR (arizona state retirement) 403b pension is 9.1% pre-tax. You can't adjust it.
The district matches dollar for dollar from day one. 18.2% pre-tax going towards your retirement.
Plus at last count we get about 22+ days off with holidays (2 weeks for Christmas), 1 week for Spring Break, and every other federal holiday.

Although I'm saddened that people are just looking at the money. Come on, you get to get in on a district revamping their entire infrastructure from the ground up over the next 3 years. And you get to participate! Isn't that worth something? Who WOULDNT want to get in on that! Plus all the special projects you would get to take ownership of. Re-wiring switch closets, racking and stacking new servers, running cable, deploying new wireless, new projectors, sound systems, programming intercom systems, the list goes on and on.

Sounds like a great job, plus at least 3 years of work sounds great, no worries for at least 2 1/2 years, unless you get renewed. I'll ask around to see if anyone's looking.

I'd prefer to be in Phoenix than where I am in the DFW Texas area. The temps aren't as high, but if you add the humidity and heat index they are worse. Phoenix is a nice dry heat.

I'm native to Arizona (Phoenix specifically) and currently live in DFW. I agree 100%.

The whole reason I have never and will never work for a school. Too many of them use novell and after working with it for a year and a half I'm done.

Lotus is another no go for me.

Crap. On my current job, I work with Lotus notes, Netware 4x and 5x, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Server and Windows Server 2003 if I am lucky. I do everything from home over a slow ass VPN connection.

Crap. On my current job, I work with Lotus notes, Netware 4x and 5x, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Server and Windows Server 2003 if I am lucky. I do everything from home over a slow ass VPN connection.

Where do you work? That sounds like a punishment.

Its still something to look for if you're fresh out of school and still green behind the ears.
Green behind the ears is not going to get you hired. I want someone that knows what they are doing already, but is looking to expand their skill set.

I would most likely not hire someone fresh out of school. They don't have the experience we are looking for.

Wassa matter. It was only 108 today.

Yeah, and when it's still 100 @ 11:00pm gets to be a little much. Was there for ~7 years for school and a bit of time afterwards. Left for Denver and never looked back, love it here..... Although, do miss the D-Backs,..... and tubing the Salt.....

Can you get me a work VISA? (im the UK) :)

Stay in the UK! Trust me, I am a Network Administrator from NYC now living in Paris, you'll do much better in the UK. Moving to Phoenix AZ only to make 40K isn't worth it. Not in our industry. You can do much better in London.

I am not familiar with the salary rates in Pheonix, but when I was starting out doing basic helpdesk I was making more than $40K without any certifications. They seem to want experience AND not willing to pay for it. They will probably find someone because of the state of the economy, but once the job market recovers they aren't going to find many serious takers at $40K.

Last edited:
Stay in the UK! Trust me, I am a Network Administrator from NYC now living in Paris, you'll do much better in the UK. Moving to Phoenix AZ only to make 40K isn't worth it. Not in our industry. You can do much better in London.

I am not familiar with the salary rates in Pheonix, but when I was starting out doing basic helpdesk I was making more than $40K without any certifications. They seem to want experience AND not willing to pay for it. They will probably find someone because of the state of the economy, but once the job market recovers they aren't going to find many serious takers at $40K.

Don't forget to factor in COL...cost of living. I'll take 40k in an affordable area over 80k in some place with a high COL like NYC.

Don't forget to factor in COL...cost of living. I'll take 40k in an affordable area over 80k in some place with a high COL like NYC.

Here in nowhere Iowa I live just fine on 30k a year would like a little bit more but I'm defiantly not hurting rich around here is 50k.

I'm with you I hope my job holds out and I don't have to move to a bigger city double my COL with only a minor salary increase

We hired someone. Thanks for the interest. I do not think he found us through the forum though.
Locking since the position is filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back