Job Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

Limp Gawd
Hi guys.

I do not know where is the best forum here, to post this topic, so I have decided to do it in General Hardware. Hope Admin and Moderators will not find it offensive and do not delete it. Hope dies last, as some say...

I have received a letter with an invitation to the interview.
The job is IT technician in some University.
They do not have high requiments. About A+ level.

I have A+ and just finished my 2 years CCNA course and got the certificate.
Unfortunately, I have little experience (I have much more experience with cisco routers and switches, snce we had 20 routers and 20 switches in the class and I messed with them a lot during 2 years of studying). I have 3 computers at home, all of them interconnected. I have build a couple of PCs to my friends, based on their needs.
And I had some 6 month of voluntary experience in the college, helping looking after PCs.

Every little bit helps.
So I am here to ask you for a piece of advice.
What would you suggest?
What kind of tech questions I might be asked?
Anything else?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Regards,
A.

I just got interviewed for an IT internship and got accepted. As far as technical skills, make your resume speak for yourself. Interviews now and days are more personal and open ended. Questions I got where:

What can you bring to the table for us?
How well do you work in team work environments?
How would you handle this situation (given a specific situation)? <-- That was a tough one.
Give us an example where you were able to overcome...
Why should we hire you?

I was never questioned about the technical skills on my resume, but of course don't lie :)

I tried not to bring in too much of my personal 'IT' work like building computers and helping friends with their PCs. If you don't have much experience they may ask you questions about that. Just stick to your guns and explain the training and knowledge that you have. Just go in knowing what you have to offer and be confident.

phungilax said:
I just got interviewed for an IT internship and got accepted. As far as technical skills, make your resume speak for yourself. Interviews now and days are more personal and open ended. Questions I got where:

What can you bring to the table for us?
How well do you work in team work environments?
How would you handle this situation (given a specific situation)? <-- That was a tough one.
Give us an example where you were able to overcome...
Why should we hire you?

I was never questioned about the technical skills on my resume, but of course don't lie :)

I tried not to bring in too much of my personal 'IT' work like building computers and helping friends with their PCs. If you don't have much experience they may ask you questions about that. Just stick to your guns and explain the training and knowledge that you have. Just go in knowing what you have to offer and be confident.

'
your exactly right
the opened ended questions are most likely what will be asked
and to be honest i hate it, i hate it i hate it i hate it!!!!!!!!!!

be honest about your skills dont over state them and be able to answer their questions with corporate style answers

adding value to the company is what they really want to see, so when they ask you why should we hire you shine some light on some of your expertise to show how you can add value to the company

Astra said:
I do not know where is the best forum here, to post this topic, so I have decided to do it in General Hardware. Hope Admin and Moderators will not find it offensive and do not delete it.
Not offensive, just off topic. Per The Rules:

(2) No OFF-TOPIC posting will be allowed with the exception of the PREMIUM FORUM area. If general conversation is what you seek, you have found a new home http://www.hardforum.com/subscriptions.php?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back