Job Interview

zman099

n00b
I have a interview in a couple days, i was wondering what i should study for? its for a IT position. thanks

Know what you've put on your resume. Be prepared to speak, in depth, on any and all technical points you put on there. For example, if you put TCP/IP on your resume because you know how to configure it in the control panel of a Windows 2000 box, you're going to run into trouble.

If you don't know something, say you don't know. Don't bumble and fumble around and give a half / wrong answer.

Study for those million dollar questions... like where do you see yourself in 10 years.... why they should hire you....what's the least favorite trait about yourself. Technical ones are a breeze - you either know it or you don't.

versello said:
Study for those million dollar questions...

Pretty much. The answers can be broken down along two major lines, what you can do for the company and what they can do for you.

What you can do is the level of professionalism you bring to the job, your passion for the work, your commitment to excellent (insert a few other 6 sigma buzzwords here), the second part is to address the idea that you don't plan on being level 1 helpdesk forever. Consider what professional skills you are looking to mature into.

(*edit* - yeah what Arch said)
And most of all - if you don't know an answer to a question say you don't know. Follow it up with how you would go about the process of finding out, but don't try to BS your way through the interview.

In our last round of interviews there were a few questions that sent people on their way quickly.

1. What are your goals for the near/intermediate future?
Fav answer. I don't have any I just need a job.

2. It say you have experience with X tell me about that.
Fav answer. I am an expert in X
Follow up question.
Really. Explain how you would trouble shoot this very basic problem with X.
Fav Answer. Ummmmmmmmmm well I didn’t mean expert.

Be honest. We put people on a 90 evaluation period and there have been people who could not produce what they said they could. They are no longer with the company.

Also do your homework. We ask a few questions about our company that can be found on the website. Nothing hard just general info about easily found on the site. If they were not interested in even finding out what we do we feel they are not interested in working for us.

Back