Jimber OS

Kristof_vs

n00b
Hi

Two years ago, we started developing Jimber OS with some friends. Now, we have an alpha version of Jimber OS.
Jimber OS is an operating system like ChromeOS. it's web based, but Jimber is unique cause you we build a custom frame and now it's possible to surf to any website in an iframe. Besides approaching Jimber OS from your browser, you can also boot it directly on a desktop/laptop.

Here, you can find a first movie of Jimber OS.

Tips and suggestions are very welcome!

I don't get it. Why would I use a slower, more unreliable and limited version of an OS through the web when I can use the computer directly without the network lag?

Jimber is developed with front-end web technologies. Once Jimber is loaded it's running in your browser so you will not have the netwerk lag.
The big advantage is that when you switch from pc, you have all your documents, apps and your settings.
You always have your environment as your left it on each computer around the world.

Besides this, all your documents, apps and settings are saved in the cloud so you should not worry about backups of your documents, programs and settings.

The use case you're imagining doesn't exist. Most people who want the convenience of cloud-based work environment already have ways to pay for them, and they just work on whatever PC you're using, so long as you have internet.

For the vast majority of people, a local application and local backup is fine. Most people never work on multiple computers, ever! And signing up for most cloud backup services is relatively painless, if you're just paranoid about your data.

Also, who's paying for this "cloud storage" your OS runs on? Last time I checked, Google and Microsoft charge money for their cloud storage offerings (only the first hit is free). If your OS is free, and the storage is free, any old dude can just create an account, and you're going to support that account forever, you're in for some serious fiscal outlay there. And if you have dreams of charging money for this, then why wouldn't I just buy a Chromebook?

We are using existing cloud storage providers as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive,... to store users data. You can connect your own existing drive and choose where you want to save your settings. So Jimber will be completely free until you want to buy more disk space. We want to offer the basic funcionalities of Jimber for free.
We are thinking about some different possibilities to charge money for extra functionities. But the first target will be to have as much as possible active users.
The advantage of Jimber vs Chrome OS is that you are still able to access your operating system from anywhere with a browser.

We are using existing cloud storage providers as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive,... to store users data. You can connect your own existing drive and choose where you want to save your settings. So Jimber will be completely free until you want to buy more disk space. We want to offer the basic funcionalities of Jimber for free.
We are thinking about some different possibilities to charge money for extra functionities. But the first target will be to have as much as possible active users.
The advantage of Jimber vs Chrome OS is that you are still able to access your operating system from anywhere with a browser.

Your design and integration with other cloud technologies looks great, but I stand beside my post. The average user doesn't need this much flexibility or portability between computers. For most of their use cases there's a native app already, so it's unlikely they'll learn your new system (running on top of their existing OS) for any particular reason.

In fact, your target user: uses multiple applications on multiple different computers, is a control freak when it comes to user experience (aka hardcore Linux developer) is scared to death of putting their information in anyone's cloud.

You have a hard road ahead convincing them otherwise :D

Last edited:
I just wonder how someone has put such an effort to something without first trying to research if there is even a need for such a thing. To me Jimber OS looks like an excellent solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Maybe this is why: Jimber store
The Jimber store is comparable with the appstores on mobile phones. All the apps in the Jimber store are approved. In this way, Jimber ensures the safety of their apps.

rezerekted
Jimber is not yet available for the public. You can follow our updates on our Facebook page :
facebook.com/jimberOS

defaultluser
We know that there are companies with a product like Jimber OS. However, they are not able to create a browser in their OS. To find a way to display websites like Facebook and Google in an iframe, we tried a lot of technologies. We worked a whole year on it and found a way to display websites like facebook, google, ... in an iframe.

B00nie
Jimber is a lightweight operating system like Chrome OS. But in Jimber, we will not push you to a specific cloud provider. There are a lot of users who don't need to have an expensive notebook an expensive OS like Windows. Chrome OS have a lot of users. We are going much further in this story, so we are sure that there is a market for this product.

B00nie
Jimber is a lightweight operating system like Chrome OS. But in Jimber, we will not push you to a specific cloud provider. There are a lot of users who don't need to have an expensive notebook an expensive OS like Windows. Chrome OS have a lot of users. We are going much further in this story, so we are sure that there is a market for this product.

But linux is free and does everything Jimber does. I still fail to see your market.

That, and Chrome OS is popular because people can walk into the store and get it pre-installed, for a lower price than Windows systems. You can't compete with that kind of product placement and ease-of-use, even if your software is better.

People will use "good enough" if it' s the easiest option by-far. You guys have to compete with Chromebooks and cheap Android tablets, and cheap Windows devices...and TWO of those have wide cloud support from several vendors. I don't foresee Microsoft or Google giving you a high-five and saying "yeah, Jimber is so much better than Chrome/Android/Windows, let's switch everyone over."

Which brings us back to your target market - I hope you have a plan for converting Linux users, because that's all you can get. And they already have tons of choices for remote desktops and virtual machines (that two-punch combination gives you all the proposed functionality of Jimber), so your selling point is at a loss.

Last edited:
I pretty much echo Boonie on post #9. I can appreciate the effort put into it. The biggest marketable advantage is being able to access a single workspace wherever you go. That seems to overlap with some of the VDI/thinclient tradeshow bullet points that it might be interesting for some people. You'll need to really focus on a market to service though.. education (virtual classrooms), things to leverage it for license enforcement, etc... If Jimber is able to leverage Chrome Apps, then you have a bit more push as well.
You'll really want to clean up the presentation (website, docs, details, etc..) before putting it out there anymore. (IMO)

I'll also point out that a self-hosted and Open Source spin of this (just based on the video) could be achieved with Guacamole for those that are so inclined. It's pretty cool software.

Last edited:
Hi

Two years ago, we started developing Jimber OS with some friends. Now, we have an alpha version of Jimber OS.
Jimber OS is an operating system like ChromeOS. it's web based, but Jimber is unique cause you we build a custom frame and now it's possible to surf to any website in an iframe. Besides approaching Jimber OS from your browser, you can also boot it directly on a desktop/laptop.

Here, you can find a first movie of Jimber OS.

Tips and suggestions are very welcome!

I can't a wikipedia page of this. That's how frustrating it is to find this. Next thing your going to tell me it's not on distro watch.

I tried a few times to put in on wikipedia, but they found a match between me and Jimber and they removed the page from wikipedia. You could give me a favor to create a wiki-page for Jimber ;)

I tried a few times to put in on wikipedia, but they found a match between me and Jimber and they removed the page from wikipedia. You could give me a favor to create a wiki-page for Jimber ;)

No, you see this is Wikipedia' notability guideline in action.

If a satisfied user cares enough to create an article for you, then your OS is used and notable. Otherwise, it's just another hobby OS. MADE BY YOU, FOR YOU :D

List of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You MIGHT be able to get in under there, but it's already pretty packed.

And no, I'm not going to be the one who submits your Wiki article. I've stopped getting pissed at my Wiki rejects after coming to terms with how massive 8 million articles is.

Do you know what an operating system is? It's all fine and dandy to build a web-based app platform (there are already many of these), but if you're not performing the basic functions for a computer system it's not an operating system.

Now, as an exercise it's a pretty good idea. Make sure to tell potential employers all about it when interviewing for programming jobs. This is exactly the sort of thing they're looking for when hiring entry-level programmers.

I don't if me making you a wiki page would help and you need to tell people more about this OS somehow. Google is selling domains for a low price these days, but there not endorsed by verisign. However, Godaddy is endorsed by versign, which might make them more trusted and if not go with either one. Then learn how to make a Website for your product. I'd like to know more about what sets your OS apart from Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X and anything else for that matter. Judging from what you said about it being like Chrome OS are you saying it's exactly like it or similar with a few changes. I'm not a fan of ChromeOS anyway either because I don't like the idea of a browser based Operating System, so it might be difficult to convince me to like this.

Back