jigsaw question

clone#13

Limp Gawd
Hi all, just wanted to know if this jigsaw would be good to get. I found it for $20 canadian, and I included the specs below. Is it a good one for cutting side panelles for adding plexiglass mods? Thanks for any suggestions :confused:

3A motor with 2 speeds: 2,000 and 3,000 spm
Base adjusts from 0-45° for bevel cuts
Plexiglass blade guard/sawdust deflector
Universal blade holder
Lock-on button for continuous use
Cutting capacity: 2-13/64" (55mm) in wood and 3/16" (5mm) in steel
Weight: 4 lbs 6 oz (2 kg)

when i asked what i should use to cut a window that is what i was told to use :)
you can get them for $10.00 USD off ebay :p

Hey, for $20 cdn, as long as you get a good window out of it, it'll be worth the time you would save if you used a dremel.

nice, thanks guys, but do u guys know what type of saw I get, are there different types?? I guess I can always ask the people over at the hardware store. Also I would need some kind of support to hold the panel fixed

just clamp it down t a workbench or something like that. do you mean what kind of blade to get, just get a couple of one that are made to cut through metal and be sure it doesnt get too hot. spray the cut with some water or lubricant while you are doing it.

speedracer089 said:
just clamp it down t a workbench or something like that. do you mean what kind of blade to get, just get a couple of one that are made to cut through metal and be sure it doesnt get too hot. spray the cut with some water or lubricant while you are doing it.

Yeah, most people say to mask the area with tape, then also to use an oil lubricant (some oil soap stuff I think). Just check the popular modding sites for tips.

clone#13 said:
nice, thanks guys, but do u guys know what type of saw I get, are there different types?? I guess I can always ask the people over at the hardware store. Also I would need some kind of support to hold the panel fixed
there are different types of saws for different materials.. generally, wood blades would have bigger teeth and metal blades would have finer teeth

use those clamps or c-clamps (mini-vises) and clamp it down to a table like mentioned above... make sure it doesnt budge before cutting... also, if you're cutting a hole, you have to drill a pilot hole first for the blade to go in thru... or if you own a firearm, then i guess you can screw the buying-a-drill part

wayne said:
there are different types of saws for different materials.. generally, wood blades would have bigger teeth and metal blades would have finer teeth
nope.

it all depends on the type of metal or wood you are cutting. if it is a thing peice of wood or metal its small teeth if bigger then larger teeth

high school woods and metals came in handy :)

DRJ1014 said:
nope.

it all depends on the type of metal or wood you are cutting. if it is a thing peice of wood or metal its small teeth if bigger then larger teeth

high school woods and metals came in handy :)
no, i meant smaller spaced teeth typically would be found on a metal cutting blade and vice versa

highschool??... im a freshman in highschool, gonna be a sophomore in september but that dusnt stop me from rocking the robotics team!!!

lol im a junior. i switched from the mean :( publik skool ho didnit teech we nethyng

to a online internet school (haha online would be internet) it is much fun

DRJ1014 said:
lol im a junior. i switched from the mean :( publik skool ho didnit teech we nethyng

to a online internet school (haha online would be internet) it is much fun
i dont think i really learn much in school... im what they consider smart in my school and from what im good at, i did not learn it in school... i go to school to learn about biology, math, english, global, etc... seems kinda useless to me... i do a lotta modding and computer stuff and i get into my school and realize, hey, they're not as smart as i think they are... im in some good specialized science highschool... Brooklyn Tech, if anyone from nyc reads this, they'll know what im talking about... i go into the robotics club and the sophomores and most of the juniors are like wussy, they dunno anything, sighh

wait till i become senior :D

Only thing I don't like about jigsaws is the bits of metal can get under the guide plate and scratch up whatever it is your cutting, even with masking tape on it. What I do to help prevent this is tape down a piece of thin cardboard to whatever it is I'm cutting. That usually keeps the scratches away.

Back