Jetway I31GM3...under-the-radar amazingness?

VulturEMaN

Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153100

As far as I can tell, its an amazing board, so I did an impulse buy and apparently got the last one lol (cause its discontinued). I've got no cpu or ram to test it with, but since I haven't seen anything on [H] about it, or anywhere else, here's the lowdown:

Size is mATX height, but close to mITX width (jetway makes alot of mITX boards) EDIT: I did some research and apparently mATX spec can go down to 1mm from mITX at 171mm
Supports 45nm processors and 1333FSB, so thats a YES for the Core2Duo Extreme.
8channel audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID, 4GB RAM max on 2 sticks, 8 USBS....pretty standard affair for a smaller board
GMA3100
IR and SPDIF headers
Jumpers to turn off nearly everything lol
OC-CON capacitors
Supposedly has onboard backup and imaging software, where you hit F10 during boot to access it.
Got mine for 50$.

It seems like an odd sort of board that someone here would mess with, but I've seen no reviews of it, which makes me sorta sad. Directron has a halfway decent data sheet on it (newegg's is all messed up): http://www.directron.com/i31gm3.html

I'm gonna try and get a E8400 and a gig of ram from a friend to test it out. So....did I make a horrible mistake buying it? lol

While interesting, the form factor isn't new. Lots of G31 and AMD boards like that. Lots of NV for Intel boards like that too (had a decent 7050 Biostar board just like that).

Yea....I've been out of the components scene for a while so I didn't realize that alot of the G31's had those dimensions.

I used to have some P3 motherboards like that, they used to make atx ones that wide, used to be the standard size, some of my cases don't even have holes for anything bigger than the old 6 hole ATX boards...

Jetway. Generally speaking, trash. It might look good on paper, but once you start actually using it... I suspect that won't be the case.

Jetway is usually "shit-tier" for anything bigger than ITX format IIRC.
Why do you say that,
Jetway HI04
HI04.jpg

A great example is the M-atx sli motherboard, the old 939 one, from the board's look, I assume it was made by jetway. It had an insufficient chipset cooler, they discontinued the board instead of putting a better one on...

I'll report back after I "borrow" a cpu and some ram...

The only negative thing I have heard about this board was a slightly hot chipset, but hey..lucky me...I've got an amazing Swiftech MCX-159-R that i trimmed down to half the pin size (yes, the one with the 96 aluminum helicoid pins) that I could rip off my current board

Back