jmroberts70
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Oct 15, 2002
- Messages
- 2,953
So I was hired to do some repairs and upgrade a client's gaming rig after I determined that he'd fried his mobo chipset due to poor ventilation (he'd previously built his rig himself -I think all the case fans blew inward). I felt the best solution was to replace the case, CPU cooler, and chipset cooler while replacing the already dead mobo...
Here was my Newegg shopping list:
AeroCool JetMaster Jr - BS Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower ($65)
DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 (refurbished: $64)
THERMALTAKE CL-P0025 90mm 1 Ball 1 Sleeve Cooling Fan ($47)
Swiftech MCX-159-R 40mm Ball Cooling Fan ($40)
You may notice that I had to relocate the side panel cooling fan to the lower side. Why it was up high blowing on the CPU area I'll never know. The fact was, that massive Thermaltake cooler sat so far above the mobo that it was hitting that fan! So I pulled the plexi out and rotated it 90 degrees (quite a bit of modding went into making that possible but it still looks good)
I can't quite manage to capture just how massive this CPU cooler is! The fan is nearly silent too. I'll also mention that I once again modded the PSU with some additional wire mesh -and then moved it all to the inside of the box to start.
Here's my "how-to" on modding the PSU with wire sleeving:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=854177
A simply fantastic Swiftech cooling component for the chipset. I believe the copper base is nearly a half-inch thick! Again, the fan here is nearly silent.
I added two more exhaust fans to the case for good measure. They thankfully run pretty quietly too so they don't upset the nearly silent operation of the new rig.
More of my modded rounded IDE cabling. I started doing this here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=886298
I have recently found that modding rounded cable sets that were originally ribbon cable has a much cleaner finished look to it than working with stranded cables.
I tried to take some low-light shots to show off the case lighting but I don't seem to have a steady enough camera without a tripod! Needless to say, the rig no longer gets that hot -or even warm for that matter- anymore!!
Here was my Newegg shopping list:
AeroCool JetMaster Jr - BS Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower ($65)
DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 (refurbished: $64)
THERMALTAKE CL-P0025 90mm 1 Ball 1 Sleeve Cooling Fan ($47)
Swiftech MCX-159-R 40mm Ball Cooling Fan ($40)
You may notice that I had to relocate the side panel cooling fan to the lower side. Why it was up high blowing on the CPU area I'll never know. The fact was, that massive Thermaltake cooler sat so far above the mobo that it was hitting that fan! So I pulled the plexi out and rotated it 90 degrees (quite a bit of modding went into making that possible but it still looks good)
I can't quite manage to capture just how massive this CPU cooler is! The fan is nearly silent too. I'll also mention that I once again modded the PSU with some additional wire mesh -and then moved it all to the inside of the box to start.
Here's my "how-to" on modding the PSU with wire sleeving:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=854177
A simply fantastic Swiftech cooling component for the chipset. I believe the copper base is nearly a half-inch thick! Again, the fan here is nearly silent.
I added two more exhaust fans to the case for good measure. They thankfully run pretty quietly too so they don't upset the nearly silent operation of the new rig.
More of my modded rounded IDE cabling. I started doing this here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=886298
I have recently found that modding rounded cable sets that were originally ribbon cable has a much cleaner finished look to it than working with stranded cables.
I tried to take some low-light shots to show off the case lighting but I don't seem to have a steady enough camera without a tripod! Needless to say, the rig no longer gets that hot -or even warm for that matter- anymore!!