JetAudio iAudio X5

rox1co

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a few questions about this product

1) i read that you can't sort by artist/genre etc, but idc about that; however, if i were to put my music into individual folders by artist, does it then create a playlist for that folder or is the playlist for every single song

2) can it record with clarity from afar? how far?

3) so there is no stop/pause button? lol

4) no FM presets? how about, at least remembering the last station tuned into?

i'm sure i would get used to the interface, but i would definitely love a sneak peak. would anyone be willing to show me pictures of the menu?

any other mp3 that you would suggest over this one? i only need a hundred more and i'll be purchasing it, but i'm still kinda looking around. this product is also 2 years old, i'm thinking that maybe there might be something better that has or will come out soon.

TIA

The X5 is a kickass player. If you're interested in it, you should check out the X5L also. It's the same as the X5 but has a monster battery life. I'm talking 30+ hours on a charge. I've had my X5L for almost a year and it's been great. To answer your questions:

1. You can sort your files any way you want. The X5(L) is recognized as a mass storage device (just like a USB flash drive). You don't need to install any software at all to put stuff on it. It works great in Windows, Linux (I dual boot win xp and ubuntu), and Mac OS. I have my music organized in folders for each letter A-Z and in each folder have subfolders for each artist. Playlists can be made when the X5 is connected to the PC and you can also create a "dynamic playlist" on the go away from your PC.

2. Clarity for the voice recording is outstanding. You can select quality and microphone sensitivity. I've gotten great results recording class lectures and seminars in large and small rooms as far away as 50 feet or so, depending on how loud the person talks.

3. The play/pause button is on the side of the player along with the record button and on/off/hold switch.
4. There ARE FM radio station presets, 25 to be exact.

Overall, I'm still extremely pleased with this purchase. The X5L's battery does add some thickness to the player but it's well worth it b/c the battery life is sick. I've used ipods many times and considered buying one before I came across a review of the X5L. Unlike the ipod and even the Creative zen vision, the X5(L) has an aluminum case so it doesnt show fingerprints or scratch easily. I use mine in the car and have dropped it between seats, no problems at all. It's practically indestructible.

The only negative part of the player is it's slightly smaller screen than the ipod video. Video quality is good. Like you said, this is a 2 year old product, but it's built solid.
Here's a link to Cowon's website. http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/

Everything plinko said is correct. I love my X5. I believe you can use ID3 tags with rockbox firmware, if that's important to you.

The only downside is that you have to plug in an adapter to charge/connect via usb.

Just adding my agreement to the comments above.

I like the disk drive system, because I sort my music first into FLACs and MP3s, then genre, then artist...you can do whatever you want. It uses MP3 tags for displaying information (bitrate, album, etc).

The X5L's battery life is insane. It really is 30 hours or more. I am abroad right now, I listened 5 hours on the plane and every day for the past two weeks I listen about an hour to two hours a day, plus I plug it into the USB as I have files on it I work on and to transfer my MP3 downloads. That's 20-25 hours and the icon still shows half-full!

I will say I am having trouble with the auto-resume function. When I turn it on, after powering off during a song and turning it back on, it starts flipping through all my MP3s at the speed of light (or rather the hard drive) without playing any of them. I had to hit the reset switch to get functionality back (luckily the reset switch does NOT affect your data - it's just a reboot) I think a format and firmware update should fix that though (I hope!).

I also would say now that I didn't know I had so much stuff to carry around, and the Ipod 80 gig for $324 doesn't sound too bad. however, there is a 60 gig version of the x5l though, now I wish I'd gotten that instead. with an Ipod or most other mp3 players you are lockedinto their DRM crap, and their stupid program for transferring files, and you can never organize things exactly the way you want them. Plus we all know how great Ipods are with battery life!

Oh and you sync easily with the Jetaudio program it comes with or with MediaMonkey, my favorite MP3 organizer/tagger/ripper/do-it-all proggy.

I have an X5L myself for 8 months now. I just put on rockbox on since cowons firmware kept giving me a weird white screen every other startup.

I do have a question for you guys. I heard the X5L uses two batteries to achive the 2250 mAh rating. Is this true? Also if I ever have to replace the battery myself do you know what I could put in there? I don't want a low mAh rated battery since I love the current battery life. Rockbox battery life is good but not as good as cowons but I can live with that.

If the X5L uses two batteries what sizes are they and could I solder the two batties together then hook them to the player?

Thanks

Back