Jet Powered Snowboard

Not to be a stickler, but I'm always disappointed when "Jet" turns out to be a fan. I guess they call them jets because hobby planes use these electric ducted fans in place of fuel burning jets.

Probably gets less attention if they called it "Fan on a snowboard"

Not to be a stickler, but I'm always disappointed when "Jet" turns out to be a fan. I guess they call them jets because hobby planes use these electric ducted fans in place of fuel burning jets.

In all fairness if they put an actual jet on a snowboard the rider would be on a suicide run.

Obligatory Coyote:

coyote.gif

Wow, that thing looks heavy! If they made the frame out of aluminum or printed material, I bet it would have performed a little better.

There is no jet on a jetski either.

The real issue is that you associate jet with having to be a fuel based combustion engine that is on a turbo jet or some other type of air craft. Jet propulsion by itself is just thrust cased by a jet (stream) of matter in the opposite direction that you wish to move. A jet ski does this by shooting water backwards and moving you forwards. A turbo jet does this by pushing air, however it needs large combustion engines to achieve the amount of airflow needed. Something like this can be done with a electric fan to create a jet of air large enough to move you.

Wow, that thing looks heavy! If they made the frame out of aluminum or printed material, I bet it would have performed a little better.

Yeah, I found it odd that they made the part to hold the fans in a 3d printer, but then used metal for everything else. Not unless he was afraid that thin plastic would have flexed to much and wanted a metal case for the batteries for better protection? was a odd mix of material choices.

There is no jet on a jetski either.

The real issue is that you associate jet with having to be a fuel based combustion engine that is on a turbo jet or some other type of air craft. Jet propulsion by itself is just thrust cased by a jet (stream) of matter in the opposite direction that you wish to move. A jet ski does this by shooting water backwards and moving you forwards. A turbo jet does this by pushing air, however it needs large combustion engines to achieve the amount of airflow needed. Something like this can be done with a electric fan to create a jet of air large enough to move you.

I get that a jetski is referring to a jet of water, that doesn't forgive the fact that a fan is being called a jet engine. I've always understood and confirmed on Wiki "jet engines are combustion engines". Otherwise you could argue compressed air is then a "jet of air" so I could then use a couple of CO2 cartridges on a snowboard and call it "Jet Powered".

Maybe it's just me, as I worked on jet (turbine) engines in the military, and now I build quad copters. When quadcopter parts(ESC and LiPos) are being used on a Jet snowboard it unsettles me. Anyway, the rest is just arguing the word "Jet". To each his own.

Edit: A jet powered bike

Last edited:
The day we were playing around with a leaf blower and skateboard in the parking lot.
Jet propelled or not? Hmmm .... :cool:

That guy is a decent engineer. I think it would have worked better with bigger fans but he is constrained by the size of his board.

Those ducted fans are so 1990s tech. I built a model Sabre in high school using one. We have real turbines available today.
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/model-jet-engine.html

Back