Jerker inspired desk

switchg3ar

Limp Gawd
For some time now I have been looking through various posts about workstations, case modding and other various projects. I have tried a few mods including a custom liquid cooling box. But now I want to apply what I have learnt to a jerker desk knock off (kind of). Maybe this doesn’t fit here but so many people rave about the jerker desk.

This is my inspiration

I'm halfway through the project so I will post what I have, It has similar dimensions to the jerker it's 34.5 deep by 57 inches wide.

I didn't start taking pictures throughout but here is what I have.

This is a corner of the desk that has be rounded. It's MDF that has be sliced every 1/2 inch. Then using a head gun I was able to bend the MDF to make that radius. It's painted white because I'm planning on putting lights in there. When all is finished you won't see the paint.

This is a better shot of how it was cut.

This is about halfway through, it's still missing glass, LED lights, grout, clear coat and the legs.

The top consists of Maple 3/4 inches thick. To make it appear thicker a thin strip has been glued to the top to give it the appearance of 1.5 inches thick. Then to create the curves for the top a bottom piece has been glued sideways. Then using a jigsaw to cut the radius.

More details I originally wanted to use glass squares but since I was going to use a glass top I decided why not stone. So I had to prep the MDF so I scuffed it so that the glue would bond better.

The maple is only 3/4 inch thick and I wanted to go with 1/2 inch thick glass. So I needed to beef of the support so I took 1 1/2 stripe and glued it to the top. Later I will router out a square channel so the glass can be inserted.

How this all started off is I just wanted to cut a larger piece of square MDF for my rig to sit on. Then I decided why not make the sides curved. I was jealous of seeing how big the jerker desk was, and I wanted something bigger.

I did some more work today.

To the left is the finished grouted product and to the right is what I just did. It needs to be clean up, which I will do once the grout becomes firm.

The glass has been ordered and should be in this week for the insert. I got the led light strips which are amazing. It's all going to piece together.

looks very nice.

although why you would name a desk a "jerker" is beyond me.

I have no idea why they picked that name.I just liked the size of ikea jerker desk which got me started on this project. I just need a nice big desk to put my rig on. The original desk I have has steel legs. Originally I was just going to make the top as you see in the picture. But now after seeing other peoples works of art I decided I'm going to make some amazing legs for it. They are going to be curved wood with an inlay of Plexiglas that will be back lit with leds. And I would like to incorporate some satin aluminum strips into my piece.

I haven't really given my project a name yet, but way it is turning out it is nothing like a jerker desk.

looks very nice.

The Europeans have a little more humor than we do :(

I don't get how this desk is inspired by the jerker. This is a nice desk and it's a good project, keep up the work :)

looks very nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA#Product_names
IKEA products are identified by single word names. Most of the names are Swedish in origin. Although there are some notable exceptions, most product names are based on a special naming system developed by IKEA.[3]

Chairs, desks: men's names
For example, DUKTIG (meaning: good, well-behaved) is a line of children's toys, OSLO is a name of a bed, JERKER (a Swedish masculine name) is a popular desk, DINERA (meaning: dine) for tableware, KASSETT (meaning: cassette) for media storage. One range of office furniture is named EFFEKTIV (meaning: efficient), SKÄRPT (meaning: sharp or clever) is a line of kitchen knives.

I regret the original title. Originally it was going to be very similar to the jerker desk in design, with the steel legs and size. I just started to add to it. First it was the glass inlay. Then I was like if I'm going to have glass I might as well have lights under it. Then I wanted the edges curved so i figured why not use real wood and this is where I am now.

The glass came in today. I still have to router out a channel in the wood so the glass will sit flush.

I just finished counter sinking the glass

At night with the lights off and the LEDs on

LEDs on

great googily moogily.
Now all you need to do is put a digital touch sensor on the top and make it a whole screen setup! :)

wow... that is bad ass. can't wait to see the finished project.

While it's an interesting desk, ceramic tile and all, I wouldn't call it 'Jerker inspired'. To me, something jerker inspired would look similar to a jerker. This doesn't look similar to a jerker.

While it's an interesting desk, ceramic tile and all, I wouldn't call it 'Jerker inspired'. To me, something jerker inspired would look similar to a jerker. This doesn't look similar to a jerker.

When I first started this project it was suppose to look like that desk in size, shape, and the use of steel. But I kept changing it and now I agree it is nothing like a jerker desk. I have seen what other people have done and it has inspired me to keep going. Now I am trying to push it to the next step. I was going to use similar legs like the jerker desk. But now I want to do something funky with it.

That is a beutiful desk, almost has the same features as a pool table. You did a great job. Kind of reminds me of the boardroom desk from UK Apprentice. I love it!!!

wow looks great how much did this cost you?

Hopefully not 10k :p

I love the frosted glass. If the Jerker had that frosted glass (thick) instead of wood, I think that would put it way over the top :D

Hopefully not 10k :p

I love the frosted glass. If the Jerker had that frosted glass (thick) instead of wood, I think that would put it way over the top :D

The table is about 600 dollars for what you see, if you add in the led lights it's 900 dollars. There are still more lights to be added. They will be placed in the lip around the table which will shine down on the stone to accent it. Plus I still have to design the legs. I'm not sure what I am going to do with them yet. I am thinking of having some vertical strips of Plexiglas in the front of the leg that would be led lit. The leg might have a curved structure like a wing of an air plane. I am also thinking of adding a thin strip of satin aluminum around the bottom to cap off the stone. Maybe 5/8 inch wide.

Thanks for the support.

Wow dude... that is really nice. Well designed and very "clean" looking.

I want one:)

I've been really busy with other side projects.

So here is a quick update. I picked up the aluminum satin strips and they are 1/8 inch thick. The only thing I am worried about is bending them. I'm going to add a piece of wood to the bottom part of the table top and then bend that strip all around the base to give it a nice finished cap. I hope.

Hows the project goin? Super interested on the legs of the desk and how your going to pull that part off to be similar to the Jerker desk. Or is this project just sitting in your garage ;).

Back