Jerk getting in my wireless...

Flapjack

2[H]4U
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I've posted. Been pretty consumed with working on my Mustang. Anyways...

Someone keeps getting in my wireless. I've always used WEP for backwards compatibility with my OmniFi devices, but I've since switched to WPA. I doubt he's been in lately, since switching to WPA with a ridiculously long passkey, but I wouldn't mind finding out where the asshole is.

Basically, he's getting passed WEP and MAC filtering (which isn't all that hard with kismet or a Backtrack ISO) and setting up port forwarding for Gnutella in my router. I switched routers, changed my router password, and he was still able to get in. I'm guessing he's getting the password when I log into the router wirelessly.

Anyways, if there is a device that will allow me to search a signal based on a MAC address, I would love to find the jerk and bang on his door.... or better yet, call the police.

I'm also worried about other passwords I've used in the past. More reason to confront the guy and/or call the police.

So.... the only devices I've seen online are designed to look for hotspots. Any ideas?

It's not foolproof, but why not just set up a good WPA password with MAC filtering, then turn off wireless administration? I know it doesn't answer "how do I track him down", but at this point, I think there's more important things to worry about.

It's not foolproof, but why not just set up a good WPA password with MAC filtering, then turn off wireless administration? I know it doesn't answer "how do I track him down", but at this point, I think there's more important things to worry about.
I edited my first post. I've switched to WPA and re-enabled MAC filtering. I'd just like to give the guy a stern warning.

I edited my first post. I've switched to WPA and re-enabled MAC filtering. I'd just like to give the guy a stern warning.

never mind the warning, if you find out who it is, go straight to the cops.

It's one thing to steal some bandwidth on an open wireless to check up on any updates on your favorite site while your away from home. It's another to hack your encryption and router's admin, enable port forwarding, and share (likely illegal) files...

We'll see how it goes with WPA and my 30+ character passkey....

I'd like to use just WPA2, but my XP machines don't seem to like it. Is this a driver issue? Do most NICs have updated drivers available with WPA2 options? Is WPA2 even worth the hassle? My router's help screens say using WPA2 exclusively will enhance performance.

download netstumbler, and walk around with it running. once you find his ssid broadcast try to home in to him by getting the best SNR. turn on midi sound output for an audible signal alert. you will be able to find him easily outside of apartments, and houses are even easier. if his wireless is on, you should be able to find it.

If you have his mac address, just call the cops. Tell them that someone who lives nearby is connecting to your network and using file sharing programs that are typically associated with illegal file sharing of copyrighted material.

Or call the RIAA, give them his mac address, and then ask them to investigate because you are behind them %100 and don't want assholes like these guys stealing music for free. And since you have informed them of a possible uploader, perhaps they could give you a pardon for past infractions......

ROFL, That post does have a point though...

I hope you have the OP has a firewall turned on...

I ran into this issue with my old neighbors who lived upstairs.

I came across his documents folder that showed up in my network places. I promptly opened the folder to discover what looked to be every single school paper this guy ever wrote. Ctrl+A, hold shift, press delete and poof all gone. I left a notepad document saying "stay off my wireless motherfu**er

I then disabled my wireless since I never used it anyway, just forgot to shut it off when I first got the wireless router.

:D

I have a linux box but not for DHCP, anyone know if I can setup DD-WRT to forward to my linux box to run squid to flip / distort images and send them abck through the router is this even possible?

I have an old x-box laying around I could throw linux on as well I suppose.

if you want to get him in trouble, simply call the police now... unauthorized access to an access point is a felony punishable by 10K and 5 years in prison... since he's actually cracking WEP to get on your computer, the DA would have a pretty solid case against him. If the dude is using a modified antenna to get into your router (which he probably is), he's probably breaking all sorts of FCC rules too... you could report him there also.

If you want to get a warning out to him first, there are several hacked firmwares for consumer routers, some of which have a hotspot ability, which would give a website type login where someone would have to type in a password before being able to hit the internet... you could customize this website as a warning message to the dude "I know you are stealing my bandwidth, stop immediately, or the police will be called"

In either case, I'd working on this because if he's downloading illegal stuff on your connection and they trace it to your house.. You'd have to get your lawyer to explain that it wasn't you...

I just researched on some info regarding how to get past your WEP, sound slike someone is hacking signals around me as well as my old router would constantly drop connections.

Soon theres going to be a post "my internet shows pictures of a obscene horse that is upside down"

download netstumbler, and walk around with it running. once you find his ssid broadcast try to home in to him by getting the best SNR. turn on midi sound output for an audible signal alert. you will be able to find him easily outside of apartments, and houses are even easier. if his wireless is on, you should be able to find it.
That's a damn good idea, assuming he's broadcasting an SSID with a router or adhoc NIC, but most likely he's just leeching off my internet w/o a router.

If you have his mac address, just call the cops. Tell them that someone who lives nearby is connecting to your network and using file sharing programs that are typically associated with illegal file sharing of copyrighted material.

Or call the RIAA, give them his mac address, and then ask them to investigate because you are behind them %100 and don't want assholes like these guys stealing music for free. And since you have informed them of a possible uploader, perhaps they could give you a pardon for past infractions......
Another good idea, but remember... I had MAC filtering enabled, so the only way to get into my network would be to spoof one of my MACs grabbed from a packet.

That kinda scrubs my last idea of a MAC-based sniffer. Unless I spoof my own NIC and remove the MAC he stole from my network. Hmmm.....

Doesn't auditor have a program that will generate fake access points?

Doesn't auditor have a program that will generate fake access points?
Hmmm, my problem with auditor (and backtrack) is it's lack of NIC support. My Dell uses a crappy Intel card that doesn't support packet injection.

It won't even detect the card, let alone allow it run commands.

How do you find out how many ppl on ur wireless?

Some of these suggestions are funny.

We had similar prob but it wasn't encrypted. We then decided to secure...

How do you find out how many ppl on ur wireless?

Some of these suggestions are funny.

We had similar prob but it wasn't encrypted. We then decided to secure...

Yeah that is usually the case people dont secure their router for some reason. But this guy is actually getting past the security.

what i do for my wireless is have an access point hooked up to a network card on my VPN server... just connected to the AP and you cant get anywhere without VPN'ing into the server... then your data is encrypted in its own tunnel too which is kind of nice

kind of overkill for a house but meh, sounds like you have a 1337 haxor...

either that or just dont use wireless?

Another good idea, but possibly overkill in my situation. Again, I'll see how the switch to WPA goes. The thing that sucks, though, is I can't use my OmniFi media player anymore.

Anyone know of a good replacement? I just want a media server that will connect via wireless (WPA) to a server on a PC (running something like TwonkyVision) that accesses a share of mp3s. Currently, I can only play mp3s, so something that would play mp3, wma and divx/xvid would be sweet.

what i do for my wireless is have an access point hooked up to a network card on my VPN server... just connected to the AP and you cant get anywhere without VPN'ing into the server... then your data is encrypted in its own tunnel too which is kind of nice

kind of overkill for a house but meh, sounds like you have a 1337 haxor...

either that or just dont use wireless?

Calling the police is a bad/lame idea IMO. Mainly that it'll just be a waste of everyones time. First you'll call the dispatcher and tell them a hax0r is stealing all your internetz. They'll send out a car, and then you'll have to explain to an officer that the internet is a series of tubes and that someone around you is stealing them out of the air. They're going to look at you like you're a retard, doodle on a form, and tell you they'll look into it. Yay. great use of an evening... then you'll have to deal with your neighbors coming up "Is everything ok?" "Did someone break in or something?" and you'll yet again have to explain how someone did indeed break in and stole your internetz, but now it's ok because the Police are here.

Just handle it yourself. Play with the guy a bit if you want, then lock down your crap.

Now I'm of to try to make and Upside-Down squid proxy. :D

Calling the police is a bad/lame idea IMO. Mainly that it'll just be a waste of everyones time. First you'll call the dispatcher and tell them a hax0r is stealing all your internetz. They'll send out a car, and then you'll have to explain to an officer that the internet is a series of tubes and that someone around you is stealing them out of the air. They're going to look at you like you're a retard, doodle on a form, and tell you they'll look into it. Yay. great use of an evening... then you'll have to deal with your neighbors coming up "Is everything ok?" "Did someone break in or something?" and you'll yet again have to explain how someone did indeed break in and stole your internetz, but now it's ok because the Police are here.

Just handle it yourself. Play with the guy a bit if you want, then lock down your crap.

Now I'm of to try to make and Upside-Down squid proxy. :D
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Almost exactly what happened with my ex-wife took my truck keys, from the shop I was working at, broke into my house and took some random items. I called the cops, and almost the exact same thing happened. There was no way to prove it, and the items weren't in her possession (conveniently).

how can you tell if people are using your wireless network? I know some routers will tell you which computers are connected to it and the MAC address but the POS linksys voip router dosen't... are there any software that does? Thanks...

Anyways good luck finding who that hacker is.

switch to 802.11a? lol. what type of router is it that you have? i know on some routers you can limit the power that the radios receive, and you basically, just turn down the range. you could also try to use a half of a lamp shade lined with foil, to deflect the signal from a single area. or just try removing the antennas all together, and see where that gets you in terms of signal strength.

oooh I just remembered somthing!! I was reading about this on [H] where there is a special coating paint that blocks off all wireless signals.. .so like you can paint your whole house with that. and then that hacker won't beable to access your wi-fi all though your cell phone signal might be worse.. Home Depot might have that paint... does anyone remember that?

now that i have a new wireless router, i thought about plugging in the old wireless router, just to a wall socket, so it will broadcast a signal but no internet connection ;) LOL :D

how can you tell if people are using your wireless network? I know some routers will tell you which computers are connected to it and the MAC address but the POS linksys voip router dosen't... are there any software that does? Thanks...

Anyways good luck finding who that hacker is.

wireless.png

mine works good, its just wpa but there's an option that says use wpa2 only, so is that what i'm using? anyways its not wep ;)

i'm pretty sure that long # one for mine is my sunrocket voip box ;)

Back