JBL Studio 590 Floorstanding Speakers $479 each

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by Neapolitan6th, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 [H]ardness Supreme

I have this exact setup (2x 590s, 1x 520c, 1x 550P) but the sub is so powerful that I frequently have to turn down the volume knob on the back of the 550P from 50% (where Audyssey calibration said it should be) to 25%.. but only because I'm in an apartment and am trying to be mindful of my neighbors.

This setup + Interstellar's DTS:X audio channel is just insane in the LFE department.

2. Kamber

Kamber Limp Gawd

Sweet! Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up going for 2x 590's, 2x 550P's, 1x 520c, and a Yamaha TSR-7850 from Costco as the AVR. I'm too going to be surrounded on 2 sides by neighbors, so I'll probably have to do the same and turn the sub volume down significantly. We'll see what YPAO recommends.

3. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th [H]ard|Gawd

They'll definitely be on sale again so you'll be good. I'll update this thread when I see them drop on sale again.
    Nice you'll have to let us know what you think of them after you've had some time with them.

I hadn't seen the 550P deal. For $190 it'd be hard to find a fault. To get something substantially better you would have to shell out big subwoofer $$$ and those brands don't typically go on big sales. For the money you'll love dual subs.

I went the budget route on my sub since I haven't found a compelling deal on bigger subs to make me justify them yet. (Dual Rythmik 18in subs would be my dream...the $3400 it would cost keeps me dreaming)

I went with the Dayton SUB-1200. I picked them up off the manufactuers ebay store last time they offered 15% off for about $130. Downside is it is only 120 watts RMS. It still gets plenty loud for my smaller sized room.

The compelling thing about your JBL 550p is that they offer 300 watts RMS and 500 peak. You don't see those kind of subs at $190.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  4. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

The LSRs have been on my radar for a long time. The 305s would probably work better for most people who plan on using them with a typical desk/PC setup, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't secretly want the 308s (and to try to make them work, size be damned).

B&H is selling a pair of 308P MkII (the newer version that you linked) for $249 today. It's taking every ounce of my being to resist them at that price.

5. Kamber

Kamber Limp Gawd

Note to everyone: No discount/promotion/coupon codes can be applied during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. I just tried to milk every last penny by signing up for the first-time buyer promotion code under 3 different emails ($10 off orders of $150+, $30 off orders of $350+, or $50 off orders of $550+) intending to cancel my previous order of 5 items and break my purchase up into 3 separate orders to realize the $50 off $550 three times, only to find out they can't be applied during this sale. Doh!

At the risk of doing your bank account a disfavor, they're $199 direct from JBL right now during the sale. If it's taking every ounce of restraint at $249.... you better muster up some titanium shackles to resist $199, hehe.

https://www.jbl.com/cyber-monday-sa..._308PMKII-_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current#start=1

Right on! I don't believe the 560P's are currently available or on sale. It was either 2x 550P's for $380 shipped, or 1x SVS SD-12 for $400 shipped. I figured I'd spring for the dual JBL subs over the nicer, single SVS. Could have gone either way, probably hard to go wrong.

Personally, I think the Studio 5 series represents a good place in terms of price to performance ratio; anything higher tier than this and the diminishing returns in terms of dollars spent to performance gained would be unjustified since I'm not really an audiophile but rather just a normal dude who appreciates a decent sound system for music/movies.

Neapolitan6th likes this.
  6. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Lol, I appreciate the heads up but unless I missed something, they are the most expensive direct from JBL @ $199 each. Amazon has them for $179 each. B&H has a PAIR of them for $249...hence the fact that I'm contemplating securing my wallet into my jeans pocket with a nailgun right now. :p

Neapolitan6th likes this.
  7. Kamber

Kamber Limp Gawd

Holy shit! My bad, I didn't know it was $179 for the PAIR!

If it makes you feel any better... instead of me screwing YOU into spending money, I MYSELF am about to be $179 poorer; my self-control is nowhere near as good as your's, sir. :LOL:

Edit: For the B&H $249 deal, you have to add this specific item to your cart and apply the coupon code "CYBERDAY"
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1446190-REG/jbl_pair_308p_mkii.html

8. Neapolitan6th

Live again @ $449 each. Free 2 day shipping this time.

A pair being less expensive than a 10 core 7900X, and it can still play crysis*

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    GoldenTiger and SamirD like this.
  9. Neapolitan6th

10. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

nice deal wonder how they compare to a set of Yamaha NS-777s

11. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

Back on at $499.95. Not the lowest they've been, but tempting nonetheless.

TheToE!, Neapolitan6th and The Lurker like this.
  12. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

Back again at $499.95 w/ free shipping

The Lurker likes this.
  13. The Lurker

The Lurker [H]ardForum Junkie

Really want a set of 530s. These 590's would look massive in my already cramped living room. In fact, at this point, given how much TV we actually watch, I want one of their 3.1 channel sound bars for half price.

14. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

I need a house first...

SamirD likes this.