Java Tools and Services

JC724

Weaksauce
I been coding a lot in C# for past internships. I have never had an work experience using Java.

I know in C# I use .Net and for my past two companies I have used IIS.

Is there a popular framework or IDE for Java? Is there something like IIS for Java?

calebb

1337 liek JeffK
IntelliJ is one of the most popular Java IDEs. Some devs are probably still using Eclipse as well. Check out the docs for both, search for some reviews, install the trials, and see which one meets your needs.

Tomcat is one of the most popular Java web app servers; Intellij allows easy development and integration of both your web and app servers. There are some other options I'm not as famliar with, such as Jetty and JBoss. You might quickly review those options to see if they are more relevant to your needs!

(I'm currently using IntelliJ, Java 8, Tomcat, MySQL; IMO, this stack is really rough compared to Microsoft servers and tools. So regardless of your choice, get ready for the diminished quality of life!)

4saken

[H]F Junkie
IntelliJ is one of the most popular Java IDEs. Some devs are probably still using Eclipse as well. Check out the docs for both, search for some reviews, install the trials, and see which one meets your needs.

Tomcat is one of the most popular Java web app servers; Intellij allows easy development and integration of both your web and app servers. There are some other options I'm not as famliar with, such as Jetty and JBoss. You might quickly review those options to see if they are more relevant to your needs!

(I'm currently using IntelliJ, Java 8, Tomcat, MySQL; IMO, this stack is really rough compared to Microsoft servers and tools. So regardless of your choice, get ready for the diminished quality of life!)
This, or a spring boot for jar.

t4keheart

Weaksauce
Eclipse IDE is a good java IDE... if you need a full-featured IDE... otherwise just use visual studio code. For most, VS code offers everything you want/need.

blackmomba

Limp Gawd
IntelliJ Community destroys eclipse. It's unreal the insight it has into the code you write sometimes

Spring boot should be the framework you're interested in IMO, embedded tomcat to start

t4keheart

Weaksauce
IntelliJ Community destroys eclipse. It's unreal the insight it has into the code you write sometimes

Spring boot should be the framework you're interested in IMO, embedded tomcat to start
That's the jetbrains suite of products, right? What restrictions does the free community version put in place vs. the paid retail version?

I had tried their python and javascript focused offerings, but found them both to be excessive for my needs.