Java Problem

roninblade

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey im having a problem with Java, Im using BlueJ compiler, and everytime i run a applet then closes it windows freeezes and have to do a hard reset. I have the latest Java install with all the updates, any help would be great

BlueJ is good teaching compiler but I've found that it doesn't handle some things very well. In college, it was the compiler used in the early programming classes but once in the upper division courses, the professors recommended other compilers. I remember that it had problems doing some 2D graphics. Remember, BlueJ is a labor of love, written by a couple of Universities as an ongoing project. It's also designed to "teach" java more than develop. They're fixing bugs all of the time, you may have just found one they haven't ironed out yet.

Have you tried one of the other compilers, like Eclipse? If it exhibits the same behavior, then you've got to start looking elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure that BlueJ does not implement their own Java compiler (that would be rather counterproductive since there are several released Java compilers out there). Eclipse is not a compiler either, rather it is an IDE that you can tell to use whatever Java compilers exist on your system (Sun JDK, IBM JDK, Blackdown, etc.)

Now are you actually executing the applet from within the BlueJ environment? How does it work when you try loading from a web browser or running it standalone outside of BlueJ?

BillLeeLee said:
I'm pretty sure that BlueJ does not implement their own Java compiler (that would be rather counterproductive since there are several released Java compilers out there). Eclipse is not a compiler either, rather it is an IDE that you can tell to use whatever Java compilers exist on your system (Sun JDK, IBM JDK, Blackdown, etc.)

Now are you actually executing the applet from within the BlueJ environment? How does it work when you try loading from a web browser or running it standalone outside of BlueJ?

running in bluej, im using bluej cause its wat were using in high school

IDE, yea that's what I meant. Couldn't remember the acronym. :eek:

We would point them to the Java compiler that we had installed (typically the Sun JDK) when installing the IDE. The BlueJ environment was sufficient for simple debugging but there are known issues when using it. Try running it from the command line/opening with a browser like Bill suggests.

Actually Eclipse does have it's own in program compiler, it does not use Sun's compiler. If you want a heavyweight IDE go for Eclipse it is free and open source and professional quality. If you want something more like BlueJ try JCreator, it has a free version that should suit your needs nicely :)

If you have the standard JVM on your computer and you have command line access, you can just open up the cmd window and type AppletViewer pathtoyourapplet/yourapplett

and that should run it in the default Java Applet viewer instead of in BlueJ.

Back