Java Exercises

Rakanush

n00b
I'll be taking a Java class this spring. I was wondering if you guys know of free sites that would offer a noobie like me to practice before class starts. I've been steered towards Udemy but having to pay for their classes seems redundant since I'm already paying for one.

what about exercises in books or looking up various project lists?

Check out YouTube. A lot of the udemy people post sections of their courses on YouTube as a teaser for their paid courses. It’ll be enough to get your basics down at the very least.

Learn Java The Hard Way is a great book.

EDIT Learn Java The Hard Way has a free sample ebook and video lectures of the first 5 or so chapters that is good. Also Codecadrmy and SoloLearn have free tutorials. Uhm.. there is also a free course om EdX or coursera ot at elast there used to be and there are free ebooks / textbooks but they are pretty dry reading.

Last edited:
I'll be taking a Java class this spring. I was wondering if you guys know of free sites that would offer a noobie like me to practice before class starts. I've been steered towards Udemy but having to pay for their classes seems redundant since I'm already paying for one.

Honestly, I just went through this very same thing at my uni, and Pluralsight has been amazing. Not only for java, but C++, python, and javascript. Not to mention, cad, maya, everything Adobe, ethical hacking, and other useful stuff. I am not affiliated with them, but I do pretty much consider them a key tool in prepping for classes.

what about exercises in books or looking up various project lists?

I managed to snag a book Java: How to Program by Deitel. I'll be doing the exercises from those.

Honestly, I just went through this very same thing at my uni, and Pluralsight has been amazing. Not only for java, but C++, python, and javascript. Not to mention, cad, maya, everything Adobe, ethical hacking, and other useful stuff. I am not affiliated with them, but I do pretty much consider them a key tool in prepping for classes.

I believe there's a deal at my school that'll get me a year long sub for Pluralsight. So, I'll be doing some of their samples.

Thank you all for the responses. I'm hoping to dive in to a couple of these resources.

Back