• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Japan Xbox 360's? USA compatable?

/337

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
449
I am tired of trying to get a 360 here. I can get a hold of some from Japan for a good price, so I was wondering would it be compatable? Would I be able to play all the US games fine? Please let me know.
 
/337 said:
I am tired of trying to get a 360 here. I can get a hold of some from Japan for a good price, so I was wondering would it be compatable? Would I be able to play all the US games fine? Please let me know.

Unfortunately, the systems are region coded. :(
 
They certainly have plenty of extras over there. Japanese stores were even having to discount them to try to get them to sell. Xbox 360s so far has been an even bigger flop in Japan than the original Xbox was.
 
There's some talk of certain US games being 'region free.' I can't remember where I saw the list, but Quake4 was one of them.

Doesn't Japan have different power and TV systems, so you'd need some adapters to get it to work.

 
BladeVenom said:
They certainly have plenty of extras over there. Japanese stores were even having to discount them to try to get them to sell. Xbox 360s so far has been an even bigger flop in Japan than the original Xbox was.

Heh yeah. From someone's blog on the launch over there, he said the 360's were discounted to $150 US I think. o_O
 
IanG said:
There's some talk of certain US games being 'region free.' I can't remember where I saw the list, but Quake4 was one of them.

Doesn't Japan have different power and TV systems, so you'd need some adapters to get it to work.


I don't know about their voltages, but they use the same display standards as the US (NTSC).
 
IanG said:
There's some talk of certain US games being 'region free.' I can't remember where I saw the list, but Quake4 was one of them.

Doesn't Japan have different power and TV systems, so you'd need some adapters to get it to work.



Play-Asia has a small list of region free games...

As for Japanese devices...They work w/o any stepdown converters or such...And tv signals are NTSC...so you don't need any signal converters there either =D
 
heatsinker said:
I don't know about their voltages, but they use the same display standards as the US (NTSC).

Yer crappy NTSC 425 lines is crap. Good old PAL at 625 lines :D
but that is meaningless if hooked upto HDTV


As to the voltage it is 110V, however depending on where you are (north or south island) the freq is different 60Hz south, 50Hz north.
 
BladeVenom said:
They certainly have plenty of extras over there. Japanese stores were even having to discount them to try to get them to sell. Xbox 360s so far has been an even bigger flop in Japan than the original Xbox was.

You're making it out to seem a whole lot worse than it actually is. What some stores were doing was offering discounts, such as $100 off for the first 10 people in line or something like that, or $50 off with the purchase of the system and a certain number of games. They were doing this to try and stir consumer interest in the console.
 
zero002021 said:
You're making it out to seem a whole lot worse than it actually is. What some stores were doing was offering discounts, such as $100 off for the first 10 people in line or something like that, or $50 off with the purchase of the system and a certain number of games. They were doing this to try and stir consumer interest in the console.

Actually... It is that worse... The picture shows some of the shops cutting prices becuase none are moving. The Xbox wont sell it at all until DOA comes out and with the more delays it gets, the more the system is hurting...
 
DOA3 didn't do much for the original XBox over there. Still, 28% sold is pretty pathetic. They botched the launch, and just should've waited till next year when more games are out that interest them. They should've taken those 150,000 units and spread them out between Europe and NA, where there is clearly more demand, for the North-American-centric launch titles.
 
steviep said:
DOA3 didn't do much for the original XBox over there. Still, 28% sold is pretty pathetic. They botched the launch, and just should've waited till next year when more games are out that interest them. They should've taken those 400,000 units and spread them out between Europe and NA, where there is clearly more demand, for the North-American-centric launch titles.

Agreed. Honestly, it was an extremely stupid choice on their part... And they're giving more fuel to the 'Xbox360 sux0rz' fire. :(
 
Prim3 said:
Actually... It is that worse... The picture shows some of the shops cutting prices becuase none are moving. The Xbox wont sell it at all until DOA comes out and with the more delays it gets, the more the system is hurting...

the pictures you see with "slashed prices" are if you sign up with an ISP in japan with the purchase.


check my "location" for more credibility.
 
The Japanese need different titles in order for the 360 to do anything there. Mainly hardcore RPG's.

If Nintendo released a console here that had nothing but puzzle games and Rpgs, With no Sports, Driving or fps titles it would'nt sell very well in States.

Two completely different cultures.
 
bjork said:
the pictures you see with "slashed prices" are if you sign up with an ISP in japan with the purchase.


check my "location" for more credibility.

LIES!

これ読める? :D

Actually I believe you, I was just teasing you. :p

Btw, I don't think other users can see your location, probably all the can see is "??????" kinda stuff.
 
U HAX0R said:
LIES!

これ読める? :D

Actually I believe you, I was just teasing you. :p

Btw, I don't think other users can see your location, probably all the can see is "??????" kinda stuff.

oh i can read it, buddy... ;)

and the ?????'s are probably even more intimidating than "okayama japan" anyway :p

/end threadjack

any more links of love for region specifics? i'm going digging in again, dammit!
 
bjork said:
oh i can read it, buddy... ;)

and the ?????'s are probably even more intimidating than "okayama japan" anyway :p

/end threadjack

any more links of love for region specifics? i'm going digging in again, dammit!
all i see is ????
 
the really cheap (~$150) xbox 360s are a bit of tricky advertising. You have to buy a 2 year subscription to high speed internet to get the cheaper price. Its kinda like what Best Buy used to do a while back with computers, advertising a low price but that was only if you got a couple years of MSN internet.

but the fact that a premium xbox goes for the equivalent of $318 is pretty interesting, its roughly the same price over there as a PSP.
 
BladeVenom said:
They certainly have plenty of extras over there. Japanese stores were even having to discount them to try to get them to sell. Xbox 360s so far has been an even bigger flop in Japan than the original Xbox was.

They aren't really discounting them. They're offering them at a discounted price with an ISP contract. Similar to what best buy did w/ MSN a few years ago. The store is still making the same amount of money on the transaction. As already stated ...
 
Back
Top