• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Iwill 478 board 845GV chipset, processor support?

faster7

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 21, 2000
Messages
1,134
RIP IWILL....

I've found original specs listing 533fsb, HT support, and processors "up to 2.53ghz P4, up to 2.4ghz celeron" I'd really like a prescott instead of northwood even if that means I won't be able to run with hyperthreading.

Looking for a 2.8E SL79K or SL7E3 to try on it.

The most detailed information on this system I found here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/iwill-zpc_4.html

If it supports 533mhz AND HT.... what would suggest that it won't run ANY 478 533fsb processor?
 
The Prescott core is radically different from Northwood in terms of architecture. Just because a motherboard supports a 533MHz bus speed and HT doesn't mean it will support a Prescott CPU. There are many other differences that could affect compatibility. I don't believe the 845 series of chipsets had support for Prescott CPUs, so you're probably out of luck in that regard.
 
I have found 845 and even specifically 845GV boards that do support prescott... is there anything with the power supply that drastically changed? If not, I'd think the right bios should support prescotts, if they made one before they shut their doors.
 
Prescotts do require more power than Northwood CPUs. However, the issue here is that your motherboard may not support the newer architecture. A Prescott chip shouldn't be very expensive anyway, so you might want to just take the risk and get one anyway to see if it will work.
 
Back
Top