Iwaki WMD-20RLT Question

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
What kind of drop in temperature can I expect to see if I get this over a D5 or AquaExtreme 50Z? :
Iwaki WMD-20RLT American motor pressure rated pump. 3/4 inch MPT inlet and outlet. 1/38 HP Motor output. 3100 RPM motor speed. 0.48 amps. Max flow 8.2 GPM. 378 GPH at 6 feet of head. Max head 14.0 ft. Max system pressure 9.95 psi
for a system that would include the following components (right now I don't have any of them but I am considering finally buying them in the near future.....)

1) Swiftech Storm Revision2 for Opteron 165
2) Maze4 GPU block for 7800GT
3) DFI EXPERT MAZE4 CHIPSET for my Ultra-D
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=212&cat=46&page=1
4) BIPIII with YateLoons

In terms of price VS performance, is the Iwaki pump worth it OVER the DD D5 or the AquaExtreme 50Z?

Also, if I was to one day get this Iwaki pump, the WMD-R20RLT, how do I adapt it to work with a 1/2" ID systems?

-Thanks

i think that niksub and enjoy120 are the only ones running pumps that large.

how big a temperature difference vs a D5? i wouldn't imagine more than 1.5 C, however most reviews don't take the flow high enough give an accurate measure at flow rates that high. it could be more or it could be less.

in terms of price vs. performance, it's certainly not worth it. going with a pump that extreme is only for when you want to push the limits, regardless of cost.

adapting the pump for opperation in a 1/2" ID loop is easy: you just use 1/2" OD hose barbs with 3/4" thread. i would actually use ported 5/8" barbs with the tubing stretched over top, if you're going for the kill with a pump like this.

i used to run an Iwaki MD20RZT, and while it was definitely an awesome pump (and made my e-peen feel huge), there was no real-world difference in my temps when i switched to an MCP655.

Okay, thanks for the information. My system would have more restriction than "normal" due to the chipset block and the Storm block (and the Mazze4). However, if the the D5 can handle it, because I do want to take advantage of the Storm by having the high flow rates, then I can forget about the Iwaki.
Any last input?

so two of these DDC pumps > 1 D5 or 1 AquaExtreme 50Z? Afterall, I do want a high flow system.
EDIT:
Wait, those DDC pumps are just as expensive as the D5 :confused:
Wouldn't it be better to have 2xD5 than 2xDDC?
And wouldn't a Iwaki WMD-20RLD > 2xD5 > 2xDDC? both in terms of price AND performance?
Also,
1xD5 Could or COULD NOT handle my (potential) system while providing high flow rates?

one D5 could definately "handle" your loop, it's just a question of exactly how high performane you want to be, and at what noise level.

two DDC pumps offer somewhat better performance than a single D5 pump, with less noise. two D5 pump outperform two DDC pumps to be sure, but aren't exactly quiet.

running a triple rad with yate loon fans on a controller, you have the capacity for good performance and low noise or amazing performance at moderate noise. two DDC pumps match well with the good performance and low noise target.

with two D5 pumps or the iwaki you could use some stronger fans, like panaflo mediums, on a controller.

the iwaki is the big, (relatively) loud showstopper. when performance is your number one target, that's what you use.

thing is, there's a decent chance that you are going to peak out your CPU or other components before you max out your cooling capability with a system like what you have put up.

that's where BioPort, along with several other A-C fans, are coming from. at that point you're looking at hard mods to push your CPU and GPU that little bit further, or you just trrow up your hands and go with middle of the road cooling.

they made their choice, and went with good OC and bling equipment. after putting together a heavy hitting water loop, you will have to make your call and choose either path of the soldering iron or the path of moderation.

Thanks DFI Daishi and everyone else for all of your help!
I guess I will probably go with just a D5. Though an Iwaki is certainly more interesting/exotic to use, I don't have that much money for it anyway.

American motor Iwaki WMD series pumps are not ideal simply because of the high inline heat dump associated with their A/C motors. The PQ chart, maximum head and maximum flowrate are important factors when considering a pump, but if the inline heat dump is high enough, it will negate the positive gains in pumping power. This depends on the capability of your system to effectively disperse absorbed coolant heat into the air - if you have a massive radiator, you might find that the Iwaki will give you a ~.5C improvement of your heat loads. If not, I'd steer clear.

For clarification, nikhsub (and I) favor Iwaki's DC pumps, namely the RD-20/RD-30. The RD-30 has a maximum head of over threes times that of a D5 with a slightly higher inline heat dump, but it's a $250-280 pump, not including a $70-100 dedicated power supply. But they're not so big :)

yea, the RD-30 is way too expensive...
But, how does one overVolt a D5 to 14Volts?

I can adjust the voltages supplied by my OCZ PSU, but then that will affect the whole system right?

Bump for 1 more question
But, how does one overVolt a D5 to 14Volts?

I can adjust the voltages supplied by my OCZ PSU, but then that will affect the whole system right?

Type
Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing
Material
PVC
Shape
Single Line
Outside Dia.
3/4" (.75")
Inside Dia.
1/2" (.5")
Wall Thickness
1/8" (.125")
Reinforcement
Unreinforced
Color
Clear
Maximum Pressure
36 psi @ 73º F
Operating Temperature Range
-45º to +165º F
Bend Radius
1-3/4" (1.75")
Durometer
67A (Semirigid)
Tensile Strength
2,450 psi
Elongation
400%
Sterilize With
Gas and Steam (autoclave)
Specifications Met
United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
FDA Specification
FDA Compliant
Compatible Fittings
Barbed
Standard Lengths, ft.
10, 25, 50, 100
Chemical Compatibility Link
5233KAC
Is this okay, 1/2" ID tubing. My system (pump + blocks) are 1/2" OD size

Yeah I would not bother with the 20RLT, especially the WMD series. If you were to get such a pump, you would want the MD which is Japanes Motor; quieter and cooler. You would also want the RZT which has a 23 foot head. Anyway, stick with the D5.

What do ppl think of going with the TDX over the Storm? The TDX is just so much cheaper with the D5 bundle than the $80 storm...? If the temp difference is Load temp difference is like 1-2C, I couldn't really care less than...

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
What do ppl think of going with the TDX over the Storm? The TDX is just so much cheaper with the D5 bundle than the $80 storm...? If the temp difference is Load temp difference is like 1-2C, I couldn't really care less than...
ditching the triple rad will hurt you less than ditching the storm, even if it won't save you as much.

Yea, even with ditching the Storm and Triple Rad, it still comes out to aproximately $300. :(

However, what do you think of the Storm vs TDX performance, given that i will keep my IHS on?
This is the list right now:
[DangerDen.com]
Maze4 GPU: 46.45
BIPII : 35.99
TDX with D5: 108.75
Total with Shipping: 204.51
[Jab-tech.com]
Yate Loon D12SL-12 x2 : $11.9 + 7.25 Ground Shipping :rolleyes:
[SVC.com]
Thermaltake CL-0025 Copper BGA Memory Heatsinks : 9.99
Vantec CCB-A1C IceBerq Solid Copper for nF4 (i ditched the waterblock)
Hopefully the Vantec will be quieter than the stock DFI fan: $8.95
Total with Shipping: 26.74

Performance-PCS.com
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Res : $26 with shipping

Tubing from McMaster : ~$10

Total:~$290

Essentially, I would be saving close to $50 going with the TDX over the storm....
Is the Storm's performance really worth the extra $50?

not worth the extra IMHO ...

i don't see were you're gettign the 50 difference from though

storm - 75 or so
tdx - 50ish

both retail of coarse

Back