Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
^ Maybe. But, I agree with Tsumi.
Buy server motherboard with 4 sockets LGA 2011 and you will pay $3500 on CPUs solely.So I got a 2600k that is everyday usage at 4600mhz 1.275 volts, load temp 55c which means I can probably sit a round of new CPUs out? If so that would be nice considering I only paid $169 at microcenter for this thing many months ago. It's funny that I dropped $1500 on 3 video cards and only spent a tenth of that on the CPU.
I see you currently have a 2600 at 4.2 ghz with P67. Absolutely no reason for you to upgrade until Haswell or later.
So I got a 2600k that is everyday usage at 4600mhz 1.275 volts, load temp 55c which means I can probably sit a round of new CPUs out? If so that would be nice considering I only paid $169 at microcenter for this thing many months ago. It's funny that I dropped $1500 on 3 video cards and only spent a tenth of that on the CPU.
Buy server motherboard with 4 sockets LGA 2011 and you will pay $3500 on CPUs solely.
And it has been said here several times already that if you already own a sandy bridge based PC, you wont upgrade to Ivy Bridge because there is very small increase in performance and benefit of doing it is low.
There will always be something better next year. That's the way CPU cycles go. Intel seems to have switched to a model where backwards compatibility is no longer a big concern of theirs, while AMD still retains backwards compatibility as a major focus.
everyone say ivy isn't a big leap but haswel will be, plus new lga platfrom that will have few more cpu down the years on it (while lga 1155 will die right?) so meh
why Ivy bridge then? Aww... still waiting to pull the trigger for a new cpu my 955 kinda getting old but dont want to be stuck with lga 1155 if next year there's a much better platform :/
why Ivy bridge then? Aww... still waiting to pull the trigger for a new cpu my 955 kinda getting old but dont want to be stuck with lga 1155 if next year there's a much better platform :/
Yes and this is purely business reason, never a technical one.There will always be something better next year. That's the way CPU cycles go. Intel seems to have switched to a model where backwards compatibility is no longer a big concern of theirs, while AMD still retains backwards compatibility as a major focus.
Ya.. funny how the cpu/gpu delta has changed over the years.You can probably sit out at least 1 good round of new CPU's. I'm planning on it for a change. I'm planning on sitting on my P67/2500k for at least another year. Got my setup at MC as well. Paid under $300 out the door for the mobo/cpu combo.
No, it's not subjective, it's actually pretty good advice.
Assuming you have a 2600 at 4.2 ghz with P67, then no, you absolutely do not need to upgrade until Haswell.
First of all, yes, I totally agree, it's his pocket, and his money in his pocket and he can do anything he damn well pleases with the money in his pockets. No one is trying to take that away.
But, seriously? ... c'mon .... what he has and what he would replace it with is basically, at the end of the day, 1 or 2 more frames per second, or 10 seconds or less, IF THAT in encoding time. The only real difference is money. It's a lot of money for almost zero performance gains. The person that told you to wait to Haswell is spot on. Take his advice and just save your money.
Truth is, a lot of kids here see these big marketing words and or new chipset tech features and just start "assuming" there is performance to be had. And they buy into all that noise and use the hype to justify the purchase of all that expensive hardware. The truth is, no, there is hardly any real world gains. Not if he already has an Intel 2500 / 2600 / 2700 etc
Want a real upgrade? Get a HD 7970 or a GTX 680 or if you already have one, get a 2nd video card. That's where the REAL performance gains come in.
Don't want to upgrade or add to your video? Fine, cool, then spend the money on a new bad ass display. The new 27" glossy IPS LED displays out of Korea, the Catleaps and other assorted brand names are really hot right now. Check out the thread in displays for more information.
I've wasted so much money in the past always staying on the bleeding edge of performance and looking back, I really really wish I had someone there at that time giving me the advice I'm giving you now. I could have saved thousands of dollars.
Forget the background noise here about it being ok to upgrade from your 2600 to Ivy Bridge and a new x77 motherboard, and all that other jazz. It's just hot air being put out by rookies with more cents than brains. Trust me, I just to be one of those kidz.