Ivy Bridge Release Date

Maybe it was AMD lighting a fire under their asses, but it seemed like during the socket 1366 era Intel was doing everything right by the enthusiast market, but they've seemingly done a complete about-face - now the "-E" variants come out much later than the mainstream chips, the prices are sky high across the entire platform. I don't want to see this continue.

While I understand some of the justification for going mainstream --> professional in terms of platform release schedule (works out bugs before pushing the high end/more demanding), it does end up with a nasty consequence. It makes it harder to want to love the higher end platform when its getting the tech later, and arguably is going to be constantly pushed to have less time before the mainstream platform gets refreshed to newer tech that arguably outpaces it. Yes, its more "refined" after 6-12 months as a mainstream beta test, but makes the ROI seem somewhat worse.

Should I wait for a 3500k or just pick up one of the new boards now and drop in a 2550k? I keep hearing that Ivy won't OC as good as Sandy and I really don't have a need for APU since I do my web surfing on another computer.

Should I wait for a 3500k or just pick up one of the new boards now and drop in a 2550k? I keep hearing that Ivy won't OC as good as Sandy and I really don't have a need for APU since I do my web surfing on another computer.

Hmmmm.....help me understand what web surfing and APU have in common? This is no a sarcastic question, I'm serious. Are you saying APU graphics are good for web surfing. I'm not seeing the connection? I want to know too, becuase I'm in the same boat as you. I really want to pull the trigger on an upgrade right now, but not sure if I should wait or not.

Hmmmm.....help me understand what web surfing and APU have in common? This is no a sarcastic question, I'm serious. Are you saying APU graphics are good for web surfing. I'm not seeing the connection? I want to know too, becuase I'm in the same boat as you. I really want to pull the trigger on an upgrade right now, but not sure if I should wait or not.

no it just saves wear and tear/electricity on your overpowered gpu's and it's quite when you play media, instead of trying to hear a movie scene over a blow dryer.

im holding out from getting an i5-2400 or 2500k to upgrade to IVB i5-3570k. My i3-2100 does awesome, but really looking to push 4 cores and some more speed. CMON INTEL!!

You are missing alot, boy!

I'm missing what he's missing but I'm glad I waited as long as i did. It wasn't until just recently I felt the need for more performance.

That said, I really can't wait until these CPUs are out. I don't even feel like playing any games until I have it all ready to go. Gonna revisit Crysis And Metro with maxed settings. Revisit Just Cause 2 with Physx, enjoy 64 player BF3 a whole lot more (and maxed settings) and will finally start playimg Batman AC (with Physx)

(oh if it wasn't obvious I'm pairing it with a 680)

While I understand some of the justification for going mainstream --> professional in terms of platform release schedule (works out bugs before pushing the high end/more demanding), it does end up with a nasty consequence. It makes it harder to want to love the higher end platform when its getting the tech later, and arguably is going to be constantly pushed to have less time before the mainstream platform gets refreshed to newer tech that arguably outpaces it. Yes, its more "refined" after 6-12 months as a mainstream beta test, but makes the ROI seem somewhat worse.

At least as far back as the whole 1366/2011 and 1156/1155 processors are concerned, it always seemed to me that the Enthusiast stuff was rock-solid out of the gate, having been tested on the Xeon/server tech. P4x, P5x, P6x etc... chipset boards always required multiple refreshes and stuff like Z68 which of course needed time to "get right"; all the Gen2, Gen3 etc...board versions and whatnot. X58 and X79 however don't seem to have so many problems in this regard, even when X58 came out so much earlier than the mainstreams.

Perhaps this is because the mainstream stuff is basically "new" and the enthusiast has the benefit of the Xeon workstation/server heritage behind it, but unless Intel totally flipped around how they do things it seems that the enthusiast hardware doesn't need to "learn from/be improved from" the mainstream, but maybe its mostly top-down where they simply make "the big stuff" first and then once that works everything else is derivative.

Then again, I'm basing this mostly on how 1366 and X58 were released before the mainstream, using great technology that didn't seem buggy/flaky, for mostly reasonable prices. That could have been a "fluke" or a lucky coincidence, but it seems that it basically was the factor that created a an Enthusiast/workstation socket in the first place, they were confident enough to bet on it. During the Core2 and prior era they had stuff like SkullTrail but it seemed that they didn't cut-out a subsection of Xeon-heritage tech and think they could sell it, single physical processor style, to enthusiasts and workstation users who would benefit from the extra performance above what was planned for the mainstream. Enthusiasts prior to 1366, aside from a small percentage of those who bought multisocket and server-grade hardware, just bought the high end and OCing performing procs on the same platforms as the rest of the mainstream users, so I guess something must have compelled them to think that they had something worth selling.

I see over in the UK they have the i5 3570k, BX80637I53570K already up for offer. Seems like 600 in stock with next day delivery. Anyone know if this is legit?

I see over in the UK they have the i5 3570k, BX80637I53570K already up for offer. Seems like 600 in stock with next day delivery. Anyone know if this is legit?

doubt it - never heard of that site ... probably a low site looking for business and then they send you something that will ship in 1 month or something ... or maybe just looking for webhits

My local dealer just changed the status of 3770K to being in stock. I placed an order right away.. let's see.

Can't wait to see reviews/benchmarks for these. I wonder if it'll be a big jump from what I have right now.

I'm missing what he's missing but I'm glad I waited as long as i did. It wasn't until just recently I felt the need for more performance.

That said, I really can't wait until these CPUs are out. I don't even feel like playing any games until I have it all ready to go. Gonna revisit Crysis And Metro with maxed settings. Revisit Just Cause 2 with Physx, enjoy 64 player BF3 a whole lot more (and maxed settings) and will finally start playimg Batman AC (with Physx)

(oh if it wasn't obvious I'm pairing it with a 680)

I'm with you on that brother! Last upgrade for me was in 2009 from an E6300 to my current Q9450. Never felt a need to update as it ran every game I played just fine! But now I'm ready to pull the trigger! Let's do it! IB for life!

Yayers!!!:D

I'm just waiting for these to pop up so 2500K prices can drop :D.

Except that probably isn't going to happen unless you're buying used... These CPUs will likely come out at slightly higher pricing than equivalent SB processors and will remain that way until current SB inventory is depleted then IB will drop back down to where SB is.

Awesome shit if it comes out a week ahead. The only problem is, is getting the rest of my taxes back, but I should be fine on getting my new stuff. So yeah, before the end of the month, nice. Just hope the EVGA GTX 680s are in stock by then.

Except that probably isn't going to happen unless you're buying used... These CPUs will likely come out at slightly higher pricing than equivalent SB processors and will remain that way until current SB inventory is depleted then IB will drop back down to where SB is.

Used or refurbished. I find that Intel doesn't doesn't care much to depreciate the value of their previous line of processors for a while.

Might as well skip everything until Dokium debutes in 2050. By then, the base clock speed will be 20 Ghz with 40 Ghz overclocking potential.

Well, you might wanna skip Dokium and wait until Skyfall arrives in 2054 and will run 33Ghz with infinite turbo cores on 0.011W under load :eek:

Well, you might wanna skip Dokium and wait until Skyfall arrives in 2054 and will run 33Ghz with infinite turbo cores on 0.011W under load :eek:

Better yet, Triterium debutes in 2100 at 1TG. Might as well wait for that!

... Gaming performance isn't still affected by old cpu yet. Tell my why they should upgrade gaming wise? to get from 70 to 130 on yout 60 Hz screen?

Frankly the report just says Intel is going to Announce the lineup, it doesn't specifically say anywhere they will actually have chips to sell. It sounds like a paper release to me, and with a i7-2600k for sale at Micro Center at $199 right now I would jump on that (if I didn't already get mine with the Facebook deal) even if I knew for a fact IB would be out in two weeks.

Back