Ivy Bridge Questions

light65536

n00b
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
29
I have an i7 820. I was able to overclock to around 4.5ghz and ran there for over a year. For some reason (migration?) I've had to downclock back to stock. I skipped the ivy bridge upgrade because it was fairly incremental. I was looking forward to upgrade but gotta admit the performance has been really disappointing. I was only looking for 20% or so.

Based on the performance specs that I checked.. do these statements seem about right

Ivy runs about the same or faster as the 6 core on most tasks
Ivy runs about 7%-15% faster then Sandy
Ivy runs about 44% faster then i7-820 (stock)
Most IVY will do around 4500? 4200?
HASWELL is slated for release in late 2012?

It sounds like IVY at 4500 would be equivalent to Sandy at 5300. It seems like that Ivy offer a much better price/performance point then the 6 core Sandy.

Also with such poor OCing performance, does it make sense to even get the K version? Is it possible to do a 4400 or 4500 ? What is the price difference?
 
I have an i7 820.
Based on the performance specs that I checked.. do these statements seem about right

1. Ivy runs about the same or faster as the 6 core on most tasks
2. Ivy runs about 7%-15% faster then Sandy
3. Ivy runs about 44% faster then i7-820 (stock)
4. Most IVY will do around 4500? 4200?
5. HASWELL is slated for release in late 2012?
6. It sounds like IVY at 4500 would be equivalent to Sandy at 5300. It seems like that Ivy offer a much better price/performance point then the 6 core Sandy.
7. Also with such poor OCing performance, does it make sense to even get the K version? Is it possible to do a 4400 or 4500?
8. What is the price difference?

i7-820 is a mobile part only, correct? Did you mean the i7-920?

1. Depends. If the application is core/thread sensitive, more cores can and will have a significant advantage. For the typical power user/gamer/enthusiast, 4c/4t, 4c/8t, 6c/12t will all do the job.

2. Yes

3. Ivy would be roughly 25-50% faster than an i7-920 in most synthetic benchmarks.

4. Depends on the luck of the draw. It'd be a safe assumption to say a majority will fall into the 4.2-4.7 GHz OC spectrum, yes.

5. No certainty, but likely 1H/2Q 2013.

6. Most of the benchmarks I've seen show that IB is about 200 MHz more efficient than SB (IB @ 4.5 GHz = SB @ 4.7 GHz).

7. IB does not have poor OC'ing performance. The heat is the issue on most review samples when they are pushed above 4.5-4.7 GHz.

8. Retailer cost is around the same price as the 2nd Gen, albeit slightly more. It's about $20 more per unit for today's pricing, iirc.
 
IB at 4700 is around SB at 5000 is all I would add to your assumptions, the IPC gain is not that significant, especially in games.

I would be shocked if Haswell CPUs are out before May 2013, possibly June/July, Intel has already leaked Q2-2013 recently.
 
Back
Top