Ivy bridge mobile

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know if Ivy bridge hd4000 series graphics will be able to run something like starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft on medium settings at between 35-45 FPS i've read a bunch of reviews and all they're saying is "It's much better than the 3000 series" which means nothing really =P

Most Ivy Bridge chip reviews include at least a few HD4000 results. I could not find any for WoW but there are some SC2 numbers in Anandtech's 3770k review

Thats pretty awesome but also desktop processor isn't it? i feel like the mobile version wouldn't perform as well? or am i just being dumb

Thanks for that link -- glad to see a thread focused on the Mobile processor. Looks like it's still struggling with games like Civ5 but is making it into playable framerates for most at 1366x768 resolution (fairly standard resolution for a smallish laptop, and if you wanted a bigger laptop you'd probably be getting discrete anyway).

Now I'm just looking forward to seeing a comparison between this and Trinity.

Seems like this is a solid performer meaning i can buy a laptop around 700 @ 14" with GREAT battery life that will handle occasional gaming without me wanting to bash my head against a friggin wall

Have you considered AMD? They are launching Trinity soon as well.

The other thing is many notebooks can disable the discrete GPU nowadays (such as with Nvidia Optimus) and run off integrated when not in use allowing power savings. Of course units with discrete GPUs tend to be pricier.

I'll consider AMD depending how good their CPU side is. I know it won't match up to Intel but if it's close enough (within 15% maybe?) then it might be worth it for the improved graphics, depending on what you intend to use your laptop for.

In my case I'd prioritize multitasking and snappy-ness over gaming, but occasional gaming with good battery life is very nice too, like a previous poster said.

Mainly I'm looking for a boring everyday laptop with backlit keys that has great battery life and can play most games at medium settings. I figure with solid onboard graphics I'll get the battery life I want, and halfway decent performance.

Well Trinity should outperform IBs GPU. It will also have better driver support (compared to Intel). It is also onboard graphics so power consumption I assume should be in roughly the same efficiency bracket. The CPU performance likely will be lower like mentioned. One thing is AMD's laptops tend to be a bit cheaper (and up in the cheapo boring laptops) from what I've seen so at the same price bracket the CPU may end up comparable or faster.

Also like I mentioned if price is less of an issue than laptops tend to have switchable graphics nowadays to address the power consumption issue of more powerful discrete GPUs onboard.

But performance wise the HD 4000 is actually decently capable now. One other thing to note though is not all IBs have the same GPU. Some use a slower variant of the HD 4000.

It's not out yet, but it shouldn't be that much longer. I'm going to wait on a comparison chart as well.

Back